Kaiser Permanente / doctor refusing to refill insulin prescription

1 Panorama City, CA, United States Review updated:

Doctor at Kaiser Permanente Panorama City, has refused to refill insulin prescription for a long time type I diabetic, until patient comes in for blood work. Doctor has also stated that the patient hasn't been coming in for appointments. Patient has stated that she hasn't been contacted by the doctors office to come in for the stated appointment.

Patient is unable to travel to the facility, and will need the insulin soon. This is an outrage and borders on negligence on the doctors part. Insulin should NEVER be used as a bartering tool to get a patient in for an appointment. Patient spoke with her former North California Kaiser endo/doctor who said they would never withhold insulin if a patient hadn't come in for their blood work.

The patient is weighing the possibility of filing formal complaints with the ADA, as she feels she may not be the only diabetic patient that is being refused life sustaining medication.

This doctor also is involved with a pay to perform organization that rates them and rewards them for having patients with good blood glucose control/good blood pressure etc...patient believes this is the main reason for forcing the issue of getting her into the office for the blood work.

Patient is currently speaking with any attorney.

Comments

• Da
      13th of Apr, 2010

I agree completely, this behaviour by Doctors is totally unacceptable. I have type II diabetes, and each and every time I attempt to renew any related prescription, I am denied until I come in for a regular check-up. I do come in every three months for a check-up and have for years. I just visited my Doctors office to give blood for bood ananlysis and
    requested three prescription refills at that time. I had been out of medication for almost a week and had called in earlier to request a refill. I call back the next day and they have no prescription ready, three days later I get a voice mail on my home phone saying I must come in for an appointment before they will write the prescription. The doctor sends me a letter showing the results of the blood test, and states on the letter that "let me know when you need more meds, the new meds seem to be working". Apparenlty nobody forwarded the prescription request to the Doctor or he forgot about it. I spoke previously to my Doctor about being threatened with no medication if I didn't schedule an appointment and how this could impact my health. Going on and off medication like Metformin and Janubia does major things to the body, and puts patients through major mood swings and stress, not to mention the danger of blood sugar levels as a result. I call back a few days later and get the same threat, you MUST come in before we will write a prescription.

It's clear to me in my specific case that the primary interest here is in making money for office visits from Health Insurance, not in the patients actual health or well-being. What a disgrace. When I look at what the office is charging my insurance carrier for a 10 minute visit (while handling four other patients at the same time), I better understand why our Health insurance system in America is so screwed up. What a disgrace, thanks for nothing Obama, having Health insurance is only half the battle.

• Ju
      21st of Jun, 2010

I'm glad to read others are complaining about GP's threatening withholding insulin prescription if the patient does not come in for a check up. THis has frustrated me to no end. In the past several months it has been like pulling teeth just to get my insulin prescription filled without my Primary physician ( 0f whom I'm deeply unhappy with to begin with, as they are from a group of Doctors within a clinic. She is a Nurse Practitioner Aand the second doctor I have had with-in a year at this clinic. All of this is beside the point ). Well, maybe not beside the point. She is the problem. Grrrrr. I have a very busy schedule right now with it being tourist season and my work schedule unpredictable. I do not have the time to go see her for a check up, nor do I feel I need to see her and when I do go see someone it will not be her. Yet, she stands in my way to simply getting my prescription filled. There have been so many mishaps and unbelievable situations occur since I was diagnosed as a diabetic a little over a year ago, I can not begin to share the agony of it all but what tops it all is the local pharmacy being in some sort of mutual financial support with the local clinic here. Also, I do not have insurance and can not afford to go to the clinic every time they want to make a buck off of some chronically ill dependent person, like myself.

I feel trapped. I feel like I have enough to deal with as it is and then they go stressing me out by putting the squeeze on me to go to the doctor for blood work and check up. My blood sugar levels are fine and I'm functioning... ugh!!! Can they really withhold filling my prescription until I go see her again??? Really??? I'm so stressed out over this.

I want to know, are is this legal? It feels a little like extortion to me and like a huge violation of my rights.

~Julie Koski

• Je
      19th of Oct, 2010

This has been an ongoing issue for me as well, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that feels like I'm being extorted by my doctors for Insulin. It's ridiculous that being a diabetic for 30 years, that I still need to go see my doctor before he will renew my prescription. It's gotten worse over the years, and I have very good control, and it seems the more I have control, the more they try and pressure you for appointments, etc. I've been managing my insulin dosages since I was 10 years old, and to have to go through hoops to just get insulin, in ridiculous. I hope this gets resolved so diabetics can support themselves as much as possible, and not have to deal with appointments every 3 months to get a basic drug that their lives depend on.

• Co
      14th of Jan, 2011

Agreed. I am Type I Diabetic, wondering if the Dr. has a right to require the patient come in for blood work every 3 months to get insulin refilled. This practice does not seem uncommon as this is the second doctor who has withheld prescript refill unless I will come in for an appointment only (3) months after my last blood work) which has been consistently good for the last 10 years (since I have been diagnosed).

• Si
      15th of Oct, 2012
    Kaiser - Denied Insurance
    Kaiser
    Oregon

I recently applied for insurance through Kaiser. I had Kaiser about a year ago and quit my job. So I now wanted to go back for an individual plan and this is why I got denied.

Headaches/Migraines
    Recommended treatment not yet received (There is no recommended treatment for my migraines. There was nothing found to why I get them.)
    Use of prescription drugs on a regular basis in the last five years. ( Trying to find a medication to keep the migraines minimal. I am not taking any anymore)
    Your height/Weight does not fall within the most desired range for body mass index. ( I am 5'4" and 110 lbs. Maybe I should try to gain some weight and become obese so I can get health insurance?)

I could not believe the reasons I got denied for insurance. Why could they just not pay for any treatment for my migraines? This is getting absolutely ridiculous!!!