Industry Model And Talent Studio / Fraud and scam

1 Edgewater, NJ, United States Review updated:

Its just a photo studio!!!

They are the people who talk you into getting their business from scape -goats like us. They don't tell the truth and play with our children emotions. They made us sign the contract without pointing out the cancellation policy, walking us thru the contract so fast that we don't doubt them a bit. Finally they trap you and make you feel helpless. Total mental torture. I want to sue them. I have put a stop payment on my transaction and plan to get a lawyer to get their ***.

Please people out there do not even think of stepping into their office. Do not even try to. They are rude over the phone. Ripping off people. We have been going back on forth to cancel our shoot and they refuse to!! Any one who can share their experience of how to get our money back from them will be of great help.

Why doesn't anyone shut them down since so many complaints have been lodged against them...

Va

More Industry Model And Talent Studio Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Ne
      18th of Nov, 2008

Industry model and talent studio is the biggest scam I have ever seen. I signed my daughter up for the 3yr, $1500 contract. In the beginning I had an optomistic outlook but as the years go by she had been to only a handfull of interviews with about a million other babies. They take your money, never contact you, and refuse to answer any legitimate questions. Your better off taking your child to a credited agent! I agree this place is just a really expensive photo studio. Thats all!!! They will never admit it to your face but they are the best actors in the world. I will get over it one day but as for others out there, please dont do it. I know everyone thinks there kid is the cutest in the world but believe me money is there main focus in that studio. Its pathetic! They sit u in a 3x3 room to see your finished shots after waiting a year to even been seen. Please just dont waste your time you can take that money and buy them a car when they turn 17. I learned from my mistake. I hate to admit it but my husband was right!

19th of Nov, 2008

HI I RECENTLY SIGNED MY SON UP FOR THIS AGENCY AND GAVE THEM $150 deposit we originally turned them down because we couldnt afford it but buy them offering us discounts and payment plan we took it thinking it would be money our son could make for his savings account since i am an at home mom i could be available to do that with him so we gave them a deposit and told the woman we wouldnt know when the rest of the money were waiting for would get here since my husband is in the army and was waiting on his bonus

• So
      21st of Nov, 2008

thanks to both of u..
    we had todays oppointment with them but after reading this all i canselled it...
    thanks again

23rd of Nov, 2008

Hey Everyone,

I just came back from an appt with them. They seemed vary pro and the lady was very nice. She showed us pics of their successful models and outlined an array of companies/projects their models are used for. I’ve read many people want to cancel for one reason or another but they did sign a contract that has a cancellation clause without reading it. I don’t know whether the whole thing is a scam or not, but I don’t think I’m going to follow through after reading various websites. If someone can let me know what the scam is (and not that you didnt read a contract you signed) i would appriciate it.

• Mo
      16th of Dec, 2008

My wife and I were walking through the mall when we were approached by two young women who began adoring my son and saying how great he would be as a child model. They gave us a card for Industry Model and Talent in Edgewater, NJ so we went there and we were told how most of the children that go there get acting and modeling jobs. After giving them around $2, 000 so that photos could be taken along with a portfolio, we were told that we would be getting calls from people. WELL...a year later and two thousand dollars poorer, we have never received ANY calls! Industry Model and Talent in Edgewater is a total SCAM!

• Ag
      16th of Jan, 2009

I can tell you with 100% certainty that this is not a scam. I have personally bumped into numerous people at the malls who decided to work with Industry and did get phone calls for numerous projects. People who met their managers and agents through Industry, got cast as extras on movies or t.v. shows and did photo shoots/print ads for well known companies or went to IMTA. However you never hear about the success stories just the supposed horror stories which all 4 people above have claimed must be the majority of the people walking through the door. This is a competitive industry period and there are no guarantees whether you go through Industry or if you decided to try and break into this industry all on your own and this is something I don't think most people understand. Someone stated that they paid $1500 for a 3 year contract which seems reasonable to me and that you went to a handful of interviews which i could only assume must have been auditions which had it not been for Industry you would not be privy to. How is that the fault of Industry that your child was not selected after the interview? If you were to go to an open casting call right now and audition for 1 part that 200 other kids are auditioning for does that make the casting director a fake or make him know any less if your child is not cast for the part? That's the nature of the industry. While I could understand the frustration of paying for a service which does not guarantee that your child will be signed or selected for a t.v. or print ad, etc., it is a calculated risk that you take and the odds are in your favor because there is a very high success rate. It's funny to me how Industry becomes the scapegoat for people that do not read the contract before they sign it. I went to college and had to pay for it. That did not mean that once I got out into the real world that I was guaranteed a career and a high paying job. I was provided with the tools and if I was successful at my interview and they liked me I got the job. Same thing here. A friend of mine happens to be a professional photographer who happens to photograph the likes of high profile clients and guess what they have to "pay for their pictures". It boggles my mind sometimes. People go the Picture People and pay for pictures that will sit in a frame on their fireplace or pay for pictures to put on holiday or birthday cards. The claim that all Industry does is provide pictures is more one sided than it is accurate. They forget to mention they got a make up artist, a hairstylist, fashion stylist, the time of the photographer oh and yes the marketing and promotions department which actually sends out the composite cards or headshots etc. and markets and promotes clients into the industry based on the specifications they receive from the industry professionals that come to them. So before anyone who has not been there knocks the company, it is well advised that you go for yourself and formulate your own opinion. If afterwards you agree with the naysayers well then at least you made an informed decision based upon your personal experience. I leave you with one last thought. This is Bergen County a county of affluent, well educated people. Do you really think this company could exist and at that could exist at the malls if it was a scam? Let's think about this. I truly doubt it.

• 77
      22nd of Jan, 2009

AG32DZ You obviously work for Industry as you are so supportive of a company that clearly misleads folks into QUICKLY signing a contract and paying for a photo shoot and then refusing to give refunds even when the photo shoots are cancelled and no photos have been taken; OR once the photos are taken, continue to ask for more and more money that the average unsuspecting parents whom they approached at malls, movies, sporting events, etc. can't afford, or didn't see coming, because when face to face with your "co-workers" they scam, excuse me, CONVINCE them their son/daughter is special and they can help them break into the business. This will only last but for so long until it finally all comes to a crashing halt and you're finally OUT OF BUSINESS. I hope you never have to fight for something you were nicely approached to do and then have such difficulty getting out of as most SCAM operations work. It's simply bad "business" and if you had a conscience you'd stop these SCAMMED practices.

• Ne
      24th of Jan, 2009

AG32DZ--you are clearly one of their b*****s, and your probably one of the recruiters that go up to parents at the mall talking that crap. This is a complaint board, not a *** kissing board, the company is a fake, your a fake. The economy is really bad right now for you guys to be out here stealing people's money.Get a life. I could've invested that $1500 somewhere else, and have gotten better results. I hope everyone on this board agrees with me and sue the living hell out of Industry Scammers...I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!! NENOSKI

• Sc
      3rd of Feb, 2009

AG32DZ: You are clearly tied to the company. Explain why do they have a absolutely no cancellation or refund clause even if you decide to cancel the same day and the photoshoot is scheduled weeks ahead?

• Sc
      3rd of Feb, 2009

This company lied and mislead me too into signing a contract which cannot be canceled and no money shall be refunded as per their customer service. I am not sure which loophole they are exploiting because I cannot imagine the state not protecting us against such contracts without any cooling off periods. I am planning the following actions:
    1) Filing a BBB complaint.
    2) Contacting the consumer protection office of the state government by writing to them, calling them and visiting their office to let them know of the 160+ complaints filed against them through BBB in the past 36 months and looking for a way to shut them down.
    3) Contacting Edgewater police and alerting them to the scam.
    4) Alerting FBI because this company seems to be operating by the same principal and modus operandi under different names in various states (InterFace: CT, NewFaces, NY, Industry Model and Studios, NJ, etc).
    5) Working with local news outlets to see if someone is willing to do a story on them.
    6) Contacting my local congressman to see if whatever legal loophole they are using, is closed
    7) Finally, filing a claim in court to recover my deposit. I think it can be easily proved that the method of getting the contract signed was dishonest and it will definitely not be upheld by court.

If you have been personally scammed by this company, please join me in this effort. It may seem like a small loss to you but we can make a big difference and help out other parents/kids if we get together! Email me.

• As
      7th of Feb, 2009

I totally agree that this is a major scam. First off they approach you in a mall - sorry, but that is not a good sign. Second, they admitt they are NOT an agency. If you are scouted you should be scouted by modeling agency. We decided to just go an see what it was about since we have been approached so many times. The office is a complete dump and their sign is held onto their reception desk by push pins!!! We met with a director and she was so fake! It was almost obnoxious to sit there and listen to her. She was so pushy. She showed tons of pictures, but hey anyone can show pictures and say they represent the child. Then she pulled out the price list and when we told her we would have to think about it and we dont make decisions right on the spot she seemed to push harder. She said "So is this something you want to do or not? I am just looking out for the best interest of your child." LOL. Then my husband said well we will talk about it, but I am not writing you a check today and she appeared to be so pissed that she got up and said okay and opened her door like she was kicking us out. And then she pretty much ignored us and barely said goodbye. Meanwhile she was super fake nice when we got there and she thought she would be getting our money. So, this is a total scam and they definitely just want money otherwise she would have said "okay can we follow up with you then". They dont just kick you out - that is just so unbelievable to me and so unprofessional. Please do not give these people money. If you are seriously interested you should get photos taken for 500 dollars or less and go to a real modeling agency!

• Me
      16th of Feb, 2009

Im a 22 yr old single mom with 6 month old baby girl. i alwasy dreamt of putting my kids through modeling and after going to garden state mall and bumping into this recruiter or this b***s***ter as i should say i was glad to give them my name and number. the next day i was called for an apointment. my apointment is actually for tommorrow i have a friend that is a model she told me she had never heard of this company as her husband is Devante a very famous model. i thank her and everyone else for the scam info on these ppl im not even going to call them back to cancel on the contrary im changin my numbers so thank u all.

• Iv
      17th of Feb, 2009

This company is definitely a major scam. I paid two times $700 for my two kids. After reading this I call same day my credit card to stop payment, they refused. Call company, they told me a manager will call me, NO calls so far. I think we should join "Scotty" and filing a claim in court to recover our deposits, and force a state to close that kind of business.

• La
      19th of Feb, 2009

Every parent wants to beleive their child is 'special' and 'attractive'
    . . . I am a realist. My daughter is pretty and has great hair but she has a visual issue that would clearly show up in a photo shoot. She was approached while at the mall with her god-mother. I got a call the very next day wanting me to meet them at their 'studio' I asked for some printed material and was direcetd to the website. I, of course, went directly to sites that had comments about the way they do business. I am so happy I read these stories because when I told the guy I would not pay a cent for portfolios, photos, or anything else, he said that was not a problem (yeah, right). Needless to say I will not even call back, but I hope I can let my daughter down easy (as she now thinks she is so beautiful that she was picked out in a crowd) !

• Bl
      22nd of Feb, 2009

...this company is obviously a bunch of slick talkers. It seems that there is not cancellation policy and its up to the 'closers' to reel clients in so they can pay up front and NEVER have the option tochange their mind. Consumers don't like to feelboxed in because then it no longer feels like an EXCHANGE but rather a swendling of money, fast talking clients into paying first. AG32...I agree there are advantages to signing up with company like the fact that have the contacts that these clients need, but I'd rather spend the good money on a legitamite portfolio rather than some hack job thrown together to resemble a portfolio. At least you'd have the security of knowing this person is professional and licensed. Additionally, everyone does not get a stylist, make-up artist etc, that only comes with the most expensive package available. Still trying to entice people?...lol Industry could catch more bees with honey, try giving clients the option to cancel or change. When you cut their options, you cut their security. You may not have so many clients coming in, but at least half of them wont be reporting your company as scam. And this company is not in Bergen County, it's in Hudson county. Not as affluent as Bergen but scams have no economical boundaries. As an educated person and consumer I can only see you accepting this if you had a personal connection to it. I think they can do better, they had the right idea just too much greed behind it.

• Ro
      12th of Mar, 2009

DO NOT GO TO INDUSTRY MODELS! They are a SCAM! The staff is extreamly rude and ignorant! All they dpo is steal your money and give your hopes up! You will make the biggest mistake of your life by going. IT IS A WASTE OF TIME AND ENERGY! This company should be closed down and charged with fraud. They only make false promises. The scam is: they steal your money, say they will market you as a model, then never get back to you. You will spend hundreds of dollars and never see that money again. I am urging you DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY AND TIME WITH NTHIS COMPANY!!! It happened to me girls and it will happen to you!!! I am thinking of sueing them for my money back!

• So
      20th of Mar, 2009

i completly agree with you all! i myself signed the contract with my mom! first they make you pay an outragous amount of money after telling me that i could do anything becuase i am soooo beautiful! BEAUTIFUL MY ###! they said i could do print and runway and t.v movie exta first of all im 5"3 how the heck can ibe a run way model! they made us pay 2, 0o0 dollars just for picture then when you came in the next day to look at them they charged you another 2, 000 to put you up on their website! they got me all excited for what my 4, 000 to be gone! i saved up that money to buy myself things for college and i get stuck with a big mess! they should be sewed and we should all get our money back!

• Sh
      14th of Apr, 2009

While walking through the mall a lady came up to me and told me how beautiful my daughter and that she has a perfect face to be a model. She took down my name and phone also my daughters name and age. She gave me a card and said someone will contact me to make an interview to come in to the studios. The very next day the called to come in. I made an appointment but the problem is when they told me that i could not reschdule the appointment. I spoke to one of my girlfriends and she told me the same thing bout her triplet. when i got home i decieded to check this place out and i found this website. Indusry Model is a real SCAM. I know that if a agency wants to represent you then you are not supposed to pay anything. The company is supooosed to do everything for you. They will be making money for representing you.

23rd of May, 2009

I just came from their studio in Edgewater.
    Exactly as people here have claimed, on the phone they said ”NO MONEY WILL BE NEEDED” “you were referred to us” (by a spotter at a street fair)
    Of course we got the show put on how our kids are perfect being they both have blond hair and blue eyes. They showed lots of photos of other kids.

Then the price book opened. $500 to $5000 !!! I said money is tight. I’ll have to think about it for a few weeks. She kept pushing HARD. I thought the girl would mug us to get it. Lol Needless to say, I came home to Google them. Sure enough. There are many of us that realized it an “almost scam”
    You are paying for photo’s. That is all. They are legally doing what a photo studio does. Take photo’s. They are just misleading you to expect more with their nifty wording.
    I want to see if they call back. I’ll keep playing .along

5th of Jun, 2009

HELLO EVERYONE. I WORK FOR IMTS, I NEEDED A JOB AFTER FINISHING SCHOOL TO PAY FOR MY TUITION. NOW I AM STILL CURENTLY WORKING FOR THEM. YES WE DO SCAM PEOPLE AND NOT ONLY AT STUDIO 9 BUT WE HAVE A ANOTHER OFFICE 3 DOORS DOWN CALLED SUITE 6 WHERE THERE IS 3 ROWS WITH COMPUTERS AND PHONES. WE CALL PEOPLE AND HARRASE THEM LIE TO THEM AND TELL THEM WHAT WE ARE TOLD. IF WE DONT MEET THE SCRIPT WE GET MONEY DIDUCTED FROM OUR PAYCHECK. THIS COMPANY DOESNT ONLY SCAM PEOPLE, IT SCAMS ITS EMPLEEYS ALSO. I KNOW YOUR ASKING YOURSELF WHY AM I STILL WORKING THERE, WELL AFTER READING AND SEEYING FOR MYSELF, I AM READY TO GO INTO WORK AND TELL THEM I QUITE. I JUST CANT DO THIS TO PEOPLE ANYMORE, SPECIALLY SINCE I BUILD A RELATIONSHIP WITH THEM OVER THE PHONE. I AM TRULLY SORRY IF I HAVE CALLED ANY OF YOU AND HAD YOU COME IN FOR AN INTERVIEW, I HOPE THEY DO SHUT DOWN AND I AM LOOKING FOR A ANOTHER JOB WHERE I AM AT PEACE WITH MY MIND.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOUR HONESTY, AND I HOPE THIS STOPS SOON B4 THERE SCAM MORE PEOPLE.
    ANNONYMOUS4