IKEApoor products and customer service

I have a4-part wardrobe with mirrored sliding doors that I purchased from IKEA several years ago. The closet has buckled and is collapsing. I called today to find out if someone would come to take a look at it and see if it can be repaired and if not, assist in dismantling it. The response was "We don't carry that line any more so there's no warranty." To make sure I heard right I said, "In other words if you purchase an item today, and tomorrow you don't carry it, you have no recourse?" The rep said "yes." They gave me the name of a set-up service which I called and was told that their workers don't know this piece so they can't help me. As an aside I asked how much they charged for a visit to set up and was told $300. I will not purchase anything from IKEA again and advise anyone thinking of purchasing from them, to be aware of this policy.

Comments

•   Jan 10, 2007
    IKEA - poor customer relations

I bought from Ikea a $25.00 gift certificate and 4 plastic storage food contains @$4.00 a piece before Christmas. On arriving home went to clean the containers one had the lip of the container stuck in the lid so without removing the sticker I put it away for return.

My receipt in the mean time was misplaced but I just wanted to exchange for another one so went to Ikea on the 28th of Dec. Figuring it would be no problem since I just wanted to get an exchange and the Ikea tag was still attached. After waiting in line for 30 minutes I was told by the clerk that without a receipt they could not help me. Because I had another schedule appointment I did not complain to higher up but I feel that was a ridiculous policy on such a trivial item. If Ikea cannot exchange a $4.00 idea that still has their tag still attached I would not want to do business with such a petty company.

• Ro
      Jul 23, 2007
    IKEA - credit rejection

I applied with IKEA for a credit card using the name Bob Lipka. I have a couple of cards in that name, which I prefer. I was rejected because the credit reporting agency said I did not exist. I have a recent copy of my Experian credit report, name Roobert W Lipka, and it shows I have a rating of 768. I assume no one there thought to look up the last name, the address or the social security number to verify my existence. I reapplied using my given name Robert and was rejected again (PRIOR APPLICATION SUBMITTED TO RECENTLY). How could that occur since I was using a different name, Robert as opposed to Bob.

• Me
      Sep 06, 2007

As a customer service representative at IKEA, I feel the same way. It is company policy but the fact that we need to put the same amount of frustration of work as the customer is not worth it. Our return policy varies store to store, if you fight for it, you get your way.

•   Jun 19, 2008
    IKEA - skip this experience
    www.ikea.com

As a new shopper at IKEA, I went there to purchase a bookcase for my elderly mother. The ordeal of first finding and selecting what I wanted, then figuring out where in the store I could actually get that item took more than an hour. The package was heavy and I (a 63-year-old woman) had to load it on the cart myself, take it through self-checkout (which entailed a seemingly endless meandering through the store), and load it into the car with no help. Once I got the Billy bookcase home, the true IKEA experience became apparent. The quality (if you can call it that) of their throw-away furniture only means that you'll be throwing it away before you can actually assemble it. I spent two days trying to make that piece of garbage stable enough to hold a box of Kleenex for my mother, and never could. I used wood glue, and tried holding it together with a bracing strap, but nothing worked. The back piece would never stay in place and the case wobbled so precariously that I didn't dare leave it in her room. I took it piece-by-piece and threw it in the dumpster outside her assisted living facility rather than return it to the store, because IKEA will only accept a return if it's packaged exactly as it was originally -- definitely not possible after spending two days trying to assemble it, glue it, and hold it together with a packing strap.

For those of you who anxiously await the opening of an IKEA store near you, I can only ask "WHY?!?" I'll never step foot in an IKEA store again.

Jul 02, 2008

for one, IKEA is a self serve store. You could've asked someone for help, and one of the co-workers would've gladly helped you.

for two, the billy bookcase is one of the most stable bookcases I have ever come across, I've had mine for 7 years, an still no problem. maybe you put it together wrong. or in any case, because it's massively produced, there are some flaws that can occur causing the poor quality. in that case, you return it.

for three, IKEA has one of the most lax return policies ever! you can return your mom if you wanted to and they'd take her. it makes me angry at some of the things they will return. Even if you effed it up that bad with the wood glue.. it's returnable. (granted you still have your receipt)

rule #1: always save your receipt.

IKEA furniture isn't so bad. nor the store. you just need to test out what you want in the showroom and make sure you actually want it. If it weren't for IKEA, I wouldn't be able to furnish my apt. and thats the IKEA way, even if some of their stuff is indeed cheep, at least you can furnish your house for a low price, and have it look somewhat decent.

I definitely wouldn't 'x' out IKEA permanently, because who knows, maybe you broke some of your favorite dishes, and you need to buy more, but you just currently went bankrupt, and realized you can buy some decent plates for $1.49

•   Oct 02, 2008
    IKEA - terrible service
    ikea.com

I requested them to ship after 6 as i was at work. But the shipping guys came in at 5. I called my neighbor and asked to talk to the carrier. He refused to talk to me. I was forced to get the product delivered to my neighbor and had to haul it up two floors myself. Customer service did not care as the delivery was not their responsibility but that of an outside contractor. They said it was my problem that I was not at home and the contractor should have charged me twice and delivered it later instead of delivering it to the neighbor.

I am not really sure about this websites fascination for the 100 word limit.

•   Oct 20, 2008

I bought a two seater sofa from IKEA. The sofa turned out to be broken. The frame was slightly tilted to one side. I went to the store and asked if they can pick the sofa from my apartment. I told them that I'll pay for the transportation. The associate at the store filled out a work order with all information including my credit card info and told me that the store would not charge me for transportation and that some one will call me next day to arrange the pick up and once they get the sofa the full amount would be transferred to my credit card the same or the next day. However, no body called me and after several days I called the store to ask if they will send any one to pick the sofa. The associate on the phone told me that some one will call me with 7 days. This did not seem too convincing to me so I went to the store in person where this time they told me that I have to pay for transportation. I told them I had already offered to pay, but the associate said that I don't need to pay. Any how I paid the transportaion fee of $70 plus tax. The sofa was picked after two days. Once the sofa was returned, I did not get the refund. I called the store and the associate told me that it takes 48 hours for the refund. After more than 48 hours, I still did not get the refund. I called the store again and this time they told me that I have to go to the store in person to arrange for the refund. I told the caller that already had provided all the info including the credit card info, but the associate said he can not help me over the phone.So I went to the store and asked for the refund. The associate went somewhere back in the store and returned after 45 minutes. The associate told me that the driver who picked the sofa did not enter it into the system when he returned to store so thats why the refund got delayed. This time however he said that I'll get the refund in 48 hours. Finallyy when I got my refund it was $543.76 whereas I had paid $599 plus tax for it. Again I called the store where the associate said he can not help but can transfer me to resolutoins department. I kept holding for more than 30 minutes and no body answered, I called several times and the associates kept transfering me to resolution department, but no one answers from there. This is IKEA and their customer servervice!!!. I had to fill the same form 3 times in store for a simple refund. When ever mentioned that I had already filled the form, the associate asked me "where is it"?I don't know where to file a foraml complaint against IKEA for my full refund.I will send a copy of this complaint to Better Business Bureau as well. I would like to advise others not to shop at IKEA.

•   Nov 05, 2008
    IKEA - no customer service
    ikea.com

So I took the advice of my friends and family to give Ikea a try (a lot of them are from California and they swear by the place) so I figured I would brave the big blue and yellow monstrosity with bravery in mind and an appetite for a good deal when I was in the market for a new desk. I'll let the uber-hip sheik interior pass without reprimand as the real problem was when I bought my desk and finally carted it back home, it was missing half the screws. So I carted the darned thing back to the store and the customer service simply shrugged their shoulders. Literally, it was nothing more than that. So I've written to corporate. This is truly unacceptable.

What am I going to do with a half allotment of wonky screws, a few pieces of polished wood and an Allen wrench? Good riddance. If you do shop there make sure you check that everything is in the package as promised.

•   Dec 04, 2008
    IKEA - bad service
    Canada
    ikea.com

Thought I love ikea, and their style- their customer service is just horrible.

i bought a bedroom set from them, and paid $150 for the technician who would come to my home and set it up for me.

the appointment was on a saturday, and he was said to come between 10-1. it was 3 when i called, he said he would be right there. he came at 5- apparently he had gotten the address and name wrong and needed to clarify-

he set up the nightstand for me, but then said he was too TIRED to finish the bed, and the cabinet.

he then set me and appointment with another ikea technician.

this guy was late too. the appointment wwas from 3-5, and he came at 8.

he had enough patience to finish the bed, which took him 2 hours. he then started to work on the cabinet- which took him another 2. then he had trouble with the handles and how to place them in the centre. he called up his boss for advice- and i could hear the boss asking him if he was too tired, because he could leave if he wanted. i was outraged. lucky for me- this guy stayed. he accidentally broke one of my handles, but in the end- the thing ended up looking pretty great.

the BRICK is also horrible

hey- if you're ever shopping for furniture or apliances- go to HOME DEPOT great cusomer service, amazing care.

• Bo
      Feb 15, 2009

Now I know Ikea's customer service once again shows it's true colors as I have read in other customer comments.

I went to Ikea to return 6 placemates for the total of $5.93 along with another item. Eric, a manager, called the police to arrest me without asking and listenning to one word from me.

I had a valid receipt. The placemats were purchased one week ago and had never been used. They claimed that the original lables had been taken off. After they gave me a hard time for $5.93, I got upset sweeping them off the counter and told them to throw the items in the trash. The security and the manager showed up in less than a minute. The manger asked me to leave the store and called the policy at the same time. They showed up so quickly and treated me like a crimnal. I felt they just hate the customers and want to be rid of them once they spend their money. Two other customers, in front of me, had been treated badly also.

My Ikea experience today was shocking. I will not shop there again. I will also contact local TV station for consumer complaints and hope less people will be treated this way.

The bottom line is Ikea is rude...I'm sad and disappointed. Good luck to the quality of our life.

• Se
      Oct 14, 2009
    IKEA - avoid this bunch of careless, uncaring thieves like the plague
    ikea.com

Bought a complete kitchen for £2700 including £355 induction hob, they took around four months to deliver all the items. Two boxes containing kitchen units were obviously damaged, which they eventually replaced; unfortunately the hob was also smashed inside its box, which didn't look damaged but must have been dropped. Sadly, by the time I discovered this it was more than six months from the date of purchase - and under the Sale of Goods Act you only have six months to examine the goods. Ikea are now saying I must have broken it myself, and are refusing to help whatsoever.

My only compensation is now to vent my spleen in forums like this (my sixth and counting) to try and cost them some sales. Avoid this bunch of careless, uncaring thieves like the plague.

• Le
      Jan 19, 2010
    IKEA - confusing advertising
    IKEA

I made a trip to IKEA specially to buy a special offer cabinet, when i got there I took an aluminum colored one, but the cashier told me that one was not in sale, only the white ones, I couldn't find that remark in the advertising I received and the cashier was very rude and he told me they were out of stock already (it was 11 am in the morning, how cuould that happen??!!)

I WAS PISSED and left all of the other stuff I was going to buy..! I guess that't their trick they advertise very good deals, but suddenly they are "out of stock" and you end up buying all other stuff you really didn't go there for.

Apr 20, 2010
    IKEA - they are simply ridiculous
    ikea.com

I bought the "tostarp" 5-light ceiling fixture. It was up only about a month before one of the vertical plastic rods used to secure the arms to the ceiling broke, as a result of reasonably gentle directional adjustment of one of the lamps. It snapped at its insertion in the metal crossbar. Those supports should be made of metal, not plastic.

"No problem, " I thought, "they have a 90 day return policy." But when I found my receipt, it stated that the last valid return date was 30 days after purchase; though the general return policy of 90 days was also printed, right below that. I suspect they know these things are crap.

• Mu
      Apr 21, 2010

nope!...to me it seems like your kids were monkeying around because i have gone to Ikea numerous times bought many things that last eternities. My dad has bought things and returned them with no issue.Another thing is that u broke it, the 90day warranty is for defects and stuff like that not just because u broke it, but idk who knows what ikea u went to?

• De
      May 25, 2010
    IKEA - service
    Pennsylvania

I picked up for a customer today $2500 worth of kitch. cabs its was on a skid. told the lady I would back up to the loading dock so that fork lift could just place it in my truck. said cant do that. you have to load it by hand, said are you kidding, she answered NOPE. so I was going through the order (i did not, or would never order) said my customer said to add some sliding trashcan holder for the cabs. gave her the number and said add this to it, Ill pay for it here. she said nope you have to go find it upstairs, looked it up said its in stock. I said well just have it pulled. she states cant do that you have to go upstairs and get it, asked why? dont you have it back there. she again just responded with a nope. so I said whatever. Ill just tell her you didnt have it. so there is NO CUSTOMER SERVICE.when I as a contractor have to shop at Home depot and spend $2500. they go out of there way to help me out. load it for me etc. This place sucks. and when I get back and start to put this crap together Its REALLY CRAP.I called later to find out about 1 cab that was missing. was on hold for 45 mins. b4 I could even tell someone what I wanted. I will never return, and will advise my customers to do same. and get this. it was at there Flagship store in Conshy.
    (corp. HQ)

• Kl
      Jun 01, 2010
    IKEA - zero year warranty
    Ikea

We bought an IKEA Akurum STAT Kitchen 6 years ago. After about 2 years the doors started developing hairline cracks. And of course we have to clean the doors, wipe them down, etc., so the water got into the cracks and was absorbed by the crap press board which expanded and the doors look like total crap now. Now they are telling me the doors have been abused and they have never had a complaint about this kitchen before. Do you believe that? NEVER had a complaint before? lol. I'm not yet, I want my warranty honoured. Wish me luck.

• Vi
      Dec 30, 2010
    IKEA - liers
    Burbank
    California

i bought over $1000 of closets including $49 for delivery & $150 for assambelly. Upon arrival, assambellers asked for another $150 because customer service had made a mistake plus $75.0 to screw closet to the wall. After i refused, Ikea agreed to take back & charge me $49 to return.
    Had they told me the total price correctly in the store, i would not have bought the product. What they did was intentional. Ikea's staff have become liers & day light thives. waisted hours of my time.

• Po
      Dec 30, 2010

Your spelling of assembly hurts me.

• Ic
      Feb 24, 2011
    IKEA - no customer complaints dept
    IKEA

First time I have used ikea and the last. Let down with the delivery and got a couldn't care a less attitude from some thing at customer service. Be warned if you encounter a problem with ikea they have no means to resolve it, very backward not even an email address! Southampton england branch, seems their not good in any country. I have taken the time to put a poster up at work to highlight the problems you could face in the hope people will take the time to try out customer services in a company before they buy from them.

Aug 16, 2014

Bunch of ###. I purchased £700 worth of bedroom units. I returned it all for a refund, they claimed they were missing £250 worth. And refused a full refund even though we had the collection receipt. After 6 months of calls with wait times of over an hour, and costing a fortune in telephone bills we got nowhere. An to add insult to injury the customer services staff were just plain rude, abusive. I got a further call back from somebody in the warehouse who claimed to have now found the missing items and said that the refund would soon be wired...almost a year later now, it never has. Liars, thieves, no better than a thug who steals money from an old lady's purse in the street. I can't afford a solicitor as my earnings are minimum wage and I have a family to support. Don't trust them.