Hughesnet / billing after cancellation

1 OH, United States Review updated:

I cancelled my HughesNet on 1/7/10 because of the high cost for basically nothing and broadband was finally available to my rural area. They gave me 4 weeks free to make sure I was happy with broadband, and told me to call back before the four weeks was up. I called back in 2 weeks and they told me they had no account for me: not by name, not by phone number, not by address - no account. So I told them to be sure they did not reinstate my account and charge me, and the non-US person on the phone said "well there is no account". Of course, in 2 more weeks, they charged my credit card!! I called again - this time they were able to bring me right up - amazing! Then they argued with me and kept me on hold for 48 minutes!! They refused to reimburse the entire amount, refused to cancel the service until the next month, and then begged me to remain a customer - really!?!?! Finally got them to reimburse all but about $5 which is still ridiculous since they are the ones who screwed up. I filed a complaint with my credit card company, so we'll see.

Ma

Comments

• Nu
      8th of Mar, 2010

I am going though the same thing right now. The took $315 out of my account 3 months after I canceled with them. I did cancel in the 1 month that they give you as a trial; I canceled after being with them for 2 weeks because it was horrible service! It has now been a month since they took the money from me and I just keep getting different answer for when they will be able to give me my money back. How were you able to get the money back? I also wondered what your bank said ... I am planning on filing fraud if I can't get it back.

29th of Mar, 2010

I filed a dispute with my credit card company and they handled it and it was credited back to me. DEFINITELY file with your bank because I can guarantee you that HUGHESNET will not do anything to resolve your issue, and don't wait because there is a time limit for banks but I don't know how long - 2-3 months I think so hurry! I just got off the phone with yet another representative of HughesNet (I actually hung up on her; what's good for the goose you know) because I got an email notification that they were unable to charge my card this month (I Cancelled in January!!!) so would I please contact them to update my card. I contacted them -- again "there is no account for that phone number". No kidding - because I cancelled it! They were able to find my info from the reference number in the email. Then they proceeded to tell me that the service was cancelled in February (although the first time it was January), and that I still had a balance owing. Wrong. Then I went online to email them and the email didn't work (surprise). I'm guessing because I don't have an account number. Man, this is the worst company I have ever dealt with in my life. Good luck and let us know how you make out!

14th of May, 2010

So no big surprise -- after all this mess of being charged after I cancelled, then finally getting my credit card company to refund the charge, then having HughesNet try to charge my card again (which I cancelled to avoid fraudulent charges showing up from HughesNet), they sent me to collections!! So today I will call the collection agency and give them the lo-down on what their client is doing. Hopefully this will be resolved. I've never been late or unpaid on a bill in my entire life. I'll be danged if HughesNet, the worst company I've ever dealt with, is going to screw up my credit score. I'm so ticked.

• Cc
      19th of Nov, 2010

I am going through this same crap right now! I got hooked up Tuesday afternoon, and cancelled on Thursday. I spent hours on the phone, and about the time I finally got to the cancellation process, we were 'disconnected'. So I had to start over. By the 3rd time I told the guy it BEST not happen again! I'm scared to death to see how much more they bill me for. I'm already out $169. I wish I'd have read comments a week ago!!!

• Pe
      31st of May, 2011

I called 4 days after my 2 year commitment ended to cancel, but their cancellation takes effect at the end of the billing period. So cancelling 4 days into a new billing period I still have to pay another month fore the service. Its just very poor business ethics. The service would be "just OK" if there was no daily cap. Its just too expensive for what it is. Your better off with a Verizon or ATT air-card.