Hughesnet / poor service

Phone: 845-482-4815

Internet connectivity is about 25% successful... sometimes days (sunny, clear ones!) go by without success. Numerous error codes, but mostly Web acceleration Client Error #515.2 New Deli Tech ends up with same remedies... unplug everything or... get new model!

Here in the outback, very limited alternatives, but even slow dial-up beats non existant service. Hughes billing service is excellent, however, hits that credit card on time every month!

Je

Comments

• Bo
      5th of Jun, 2007
    Hughes Net - Poor service!

My complaints about Hughes net are too numerous to go into detail on all of them but one of the worst is that there is literally never a time day or night that you call them that you do not get the recording "due to abnormally high volume" and it will go on to tell you estimated time you are going to be forced to wait if you want to speak to them and it is usually anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours. This is unacceptable. Their FAP (fair access policy) is totally unfair if you decide to buy software on line and it is more than 200 mb you will be slowed down to about 1k speed for a day for exceeding their 24 hour limit of 200 mb download. What a sham that is. You cant even watch videos from YOUTUBE, etc. without getting hit with FAP. When I first got my 4000 system my download speeds ranged from 1mb to 2mb then they kept sending me emails asking me to "upgrade" to the 7000 system so I finally gave in and immediately my top download speed went from 2mb down to a mere 700k and they cap it at that unless you pay even more than the current 59.95 per month. One would say why don't you switch well I am in a rural area and my choices are limited but I think DSL is here now or coming so I will be switching soon. Hopefully there will be a massive class action suit filed against this company in the near future and it cannot happen soon enough.

• Ta
      17th of Jun, 2007

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to write your stories. You have just saved me from making the same mistake. I am moving into a new house where even my cell phones don't get a signal. I just signed up for Dish Network TV and was about to sign up for Hughes Net because neither DSL, Cable nor Wild Blue are available. After reading their website I was getting all hyped about the ability to have high speed internet out there. Then I read their FAP and their equipment warranty and the Service Assurance by this time I wondered if anyone had experienced a problem with them. Your stories have made me want to use dial up and be thankful for it. Thank you all. You cost them at least one customer.

• Eu
      20th of Jun, 2007

My business, which relies on Hughes satellite service, has been inoperable for 3weeks! I'm under warranty, and all they do is run me around in circles without repairing my service. I have contacted every one under the sun, including th BBB and the FCC. I guess that after 2 yrs of satellite service, I'm going to have to back to dial-up! All I can say is if you can get ANYTHING else do it!

• Mm
      20th of Jun, 2007

Yes, i totally agree!! We are currently 3500 fett off or something like that from getting DSL. We live in the country so thats why. Anyways we got hugues net for DSL, and man were we suckered into that crap!!! I play WoW aka (World Of Warcraft) a huge online internet game and the speeds of this internet are ridiculously slow!!! I've played DSL and played with this crappy satellite DSL and there is a huge difference. When I play at my cousins DSL my game latency is between 50ms-100ms which is amazing game play and when i play on our satellite DSL my latency is anywhere from 1200-2000 this is such a terrible service!! And yes I've heard several compliments and SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE TO THIS COMPANY!!

• Pa
      6th of Jul, 2007

I too purchased Hughes for a mere $495.00 and haven't had a day without poor service. I ran 26 on my dial up and cant get dsl so this was my option. I really hate the poor service and having to talk to someone in India who cant understand me. I had my my service less than a month and have been on the phone with them six times. I was never told until it happened that there was a max you could down load. I am totally frustrated with this service going to have try and get my money back. We will see!

• To
      9th of Jul, 2007

I've had Hughes net service for approximately 18 months. The service is sporadic at best. We are patiently waiting for DSL to arrive in our neighborhood. I will then attach a chain around my sattelite and rip it off the wall, pour gasoline on it and set it afire. DO NOT get sattelite service if you can get cable or DSL. We have to go back to dial-up often and it's faster than sattelite service. I have the customer "no service" routine down. The first call you make goes to India. I tell them to transfer me to the USA. Get ready to spend at least an hour on each tech support call you make. Hughes Net is a rip off and their claim to "blazing" fast service in all those commercials is bull.

• Ed
      24th of Aug, 2007

5 months ago I signed up for the hughesnet sat. internet. Not doing my homework I told them i wanted the fastest package available for on-line gaming. after the unit was installed i found out with the earth to sat to earth delay gaming is imposable. I called to have my package downgraded-who need 1.5 g per second on e-mails and she told me it would effect my home page - no problem. Effect was an understatement - not working at all. Call hughesnet for tech support - the guy worked with me for about an hour but the system would not work. he told me he had other customers and i needed to call back. I took it and waited several days and called back. The next guy went thru most of what the first guy did and then told me that i had a problem with my lan card and it needed to be replaced. I told him nothing had changed on my end other than the package speed - he would not proceed any further. I got a new lan card and cable at work and called back. same story - my lan card was bad. told him replaced with new and the cable as well. He spent 15 minutes and told me i needed to contact my computer manufacturer because it was defective. I was very vocal and dropping f bombs for several minutes - he said let me put you on hold - got back to me told me were to go on my comp. and it was fixed in less than 5 minutes. This is a scam - i am sure they get paid by hughes on a per call basis and the more times they have you call the more money they get. If you use hughes and start to get this kind of treatment put a stop to it from the start and save yourself multiple phone calls and being without service.

• La
      30th of Sep, 2007

I agree. I absolutely hate talking to customer service or tech support. You are talking to people in India who are almost impossible to communicate with. Just because they might speak a little English, doesn't mean you can understand them. And no guarantee they understand you. They called me today to see if a problem I had 3 months ago was resolved. Hell... I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, let alone one of the many problems I had months ago. I constantly had to have him repeat what he was saying. I could barely understand about 10% of what he was saying. If I had any other choice in my rural area, I would drop them immediately. I also think they are too expensive. But that's another story.

• Be
      21st of Oct, 2007

I wish I had found this website before I had ordered HughesNet. I am unable to get DSL and dialup is so slow. HughesNet was installed last Tuesday and in the past 10 days I have had only maybe 3 days total of service (and not at the speed advertised). I have been on the phone with people who have such heavy accents they are difficult to understand and when transferred to Advanced Tech Support, which is in Fla., I am still led through the same routine of changing frequencies, etc. One day I was on the phone for over 4 hours! Tomorrow they are sending the installer techs to my house (2nd time). The first time I was assured the problem is resolved - the next evening the service was gone. We'll see what happens tomorrow. If it is the same story of no service, this equipment is going back and the first charge on my credit card is being removed from my statement after I call the credit card company! Life is too short for this aggravation!!

• Sh
      3rd of Nov, 2007
    HughesNet - Poor service!

Ug. I have been violated. I closed out my credit card so they can't steal any more money from me. I just got it today and payed 125 buck for a 'non-typical' installation... a six dollar pole and a six dollar bag of quickcrete.

I use internet connectivity for online game playing. Forget. This product is useless to me with 2 second lag. The C.S. and tech's have been trained to call it "Latency". 'Sorry for the inconvenience of the latency, sir'... B.S. It isn't just inconvenient, its unusable. No downloading, no game playing, no video watching or music listening. CRAP CRAP CRAP.

At least they can't hurt my credit. I got no disclaimers about not being able to do normal internet things... they just came out and hooked it up. I got no disclaimers about having such limited service. Man, I thought broadband was supposed to be a decent service. Well, satellite broadband definitely IS NOT!!!

8th of Feb, 2008

Thats the reason they want you to call them hughes is just in it for money no matter how many people they sucker into getting hughes and that red headed woman on the commials i cant stand to listen to her lying to people i would find me another line of work they say you will do anything for money right i couldnt get on tv and tell people lies like that i would tell every body the truth saying hughes net is a rip off and tell them not to order anything from them yeah somebody are to get on the channel news and tell the world how sorry these people like us poor subscripers trying to get some relief in this world i dispise this company hughes net i would hate to meat god with this on my constance.

• Ha
      7th of Mar, 2008

Does not live up to what they tell you. Poor service slow connection. The will not come to my house and fix their problem, always places the blame on weather , modem, connection. This is the only option I have for high speed and you can not call it high speed and they limit you to 350mb a day and I can not even update my operating system.

11th of Mar, 2008

Help! Long Story story short I have been paying $60.00 a month since 2005 for dial up speed, now its even worse since I upgraded my Modem to the 7000 and my service to the PRO series.

Tecks are on there way to my location again at $125.00 a pop. my low down loa speed is 10 kbps my hight would be 600kbs.

My complaint are falling on deaf ears, Who may I contact to gain help.

Dheinsen@hughes.net
    805-748-5504

• Ro
      28th of Apr, 2008

I had so many issues with Direcway/Hughes Net "High Speed" Professional Internet Service that I filed a complaint with my State Attorney General's Office and the finally not only had to fix my system and switch satellites, but they had to refund more than a half year's monthly service charges at $95 per month. My system works now, but dialup is more reliable and generally about the same speed at 44 KBPS for browsing and doing business. Downloads are faster than dialup, but after 200 MB our service goes into FAP mode and is essentially useless for 24 hours. Hughes Customer Support is outsourced to East India, where the "tech" reads from a flowchart and will not deviate, running us through a seemingly endless, repetitive system check, in spite of the fact that we have been through it a half dozen times in every recent call. This after waiting on hold for more than 30 minutes for them to connect with us. These techs are well versed in manners, stating over and over, "I am very sorry for the inconvenience!" When you connect with Hughes you had better be prepaired to spend valuable time on hold and troubleshooting your own system after the Indian support person first asks you the same twenty questions. Once the system is out of warranty, however, Hughes will send techs out right away, because then you will receive a bill for a minimum of $400 per on-site service call. I pray for the local Cable TV or Telephone conmany to finally bring in high speed Internet. They are presently two miles away from our location with both.

29th of Apr, 2008

I suspected the worst when Hughes.net sent me an email explaining that email service would be down on 4-26-08 for a few hours while they "upgraded" their service. My suspicions proved
    valid. It is now Tuesday, 4-29-08, and I can't even log into their site, let alone receive any emails. It simply will not load. I get the
    ubiquitous message that they are experiencing problems.

I guess so.

We live it a rural area, and this is the pretty much the only option we have. Lucky us.

Will they prorate this month's service charges? Will they ever get things up and running? I'm not counting on it. What am I supposed to do, text message everyone?

The whole thing reminds of a couple of years ago when US Air bought out America West Airlines. Even after all this time, it isn't straightened out.

Personally, I hope heads will roll at Hughes.net. I am not a happy customer right now.

• Ri
      29th of Apr, 2008

Absolutely correct!!!... We've been with them for about 3 years. first with Direcway... then at Hughes.net. Can hardly understand customer service the 2 times we have called in 3 years. Slow up and down and all this for 59.99 per month. We don' t have a land line, so DSL is not available. My sister had Bluebird? and said she liked it, but has since move. Another friend of mine had Starband and trades on the stock market. We origninally paid 600 and then 59.99 monthly. So that's my 2 cents. If this keeps up, we are gonna start looking. I'm retired, so heaven forbid if we were trying to run a business relying on these idiots. Just surfin and pay a few bills and get emails.

• Ha
      2nd of May, 2008

I heard what you guys said and honestly, you guys are full of doo doo. How can you say you lost lot's of money with business? You can't be making that much money to afford to lose that much business. If you have, you would've bought a T1 connection that is faster, reliable and more consistent at speakeasy.com. Go check it out. Pay for the damn install and pay $359 a month why don't you? If you're losing that much money and making so much money why not get a T1? That is what I'm talking about. You guys contradict and are hypocrite. I am a Verizon Fios customer and I love it every chance. My point in arguing with you guys because I happened to stumble this page and found you guys complaining which I have a friend who installs Direct T.V. and knows a friend who installs Fios. They said the same thing, why don't you guys just live in the city area or suburbs instead of in the country side? If you already into the contract deal. There is always a way to get out of it. Cancel your damn service. Why keep complaining? I still see the same people complaining on this damn board and yet they're still Hughes Net customers? Wow, seriously. Don't give me this excuse that they're the only choice you have. Nobody put a gun to your head and say you have no choice? This is America. Learn to make the right choices. If this is freaking slow than dial up. Then go to dial up. Prove that it's slower than satellite. Stop eating hays and raising corn fields. Learn to move with the technology. If you are not happy with the crappy service. You have a choice to not get any internet service. All these complaints don't serve any justice because it's been up since 2006. If you feel that you've been ripped off, then why sign the contract? Why go with the contract? Don't give me this crap you didn't know what you're getting into when the complaints are on-line and you had dial up before this service. Oh and I love the complaints about India, it's not like you rednecks who live in the boonies are pure Americans. How bout learning not to eat pork and beans and farting in a can all day and speak real American English for pete's sake! Move!!! If you know it's expensive to get this service then save your money and move and get VERIZON FIOS OR COMCAST! Stop making babies within families and living in remote location where King Kong and Tarzan can be found. Learn to associate with people because God forbid this board serves as your communication. Oh and last but not least. Who the hell would use an ISP e-mail provider? I've always use Google's G-mail, yahoo, msn or hotmail. They're free and way better! You can always use Outlook with some of them.

• Ga
      12th of Aug, 2008

TO ALL
    Hugnesnet does not care. We can do all the complaining we want. They tie you up in tech support and hope you go away. They make their money when you signup and buy the equipment. Hughesnet just upgraded their palns and we get the same or worst speeds. The only option is to not use them. They have us here don't they. We only have wildblue and a few others with the same problems. If anyone is having good speeds after al few months I would like to know. I need to change, but there is no other options. When Dsl or cable comes to my area, I am have a dish burning party and you are all invited.

It feels good to vent, but are there other places to help get my hughesnet speed up. How to fix it up?

19th of Aug, 2008
    Hughesnet - Poor service!

I have hughs net for 13 months. I have a problem with my hardware. I was a few days late calling so my warrnety is over. They wanted me to run "speed test" which took me 3 days and several hours of my time!!!
    They said I needed a repair person at $125 for a diagnostic plus a repair person for work plus parts.
    WILD BLUE is in my area now with local people, and a much better service.
    For those who must have Hughes Net maybe you will have to do what we did-Pray and ask God for an alternative.
    My advice: Do all you can NOT to have Hughes Net

• Be
      26th of Aug, 2008

I was a customer of Direcway before they became Hughes.Net.
    I had the older DW 4000, I believe, and after I developed an understanding of the system, was pretty satisfied. I would not have used it if a real broadband system was available to me, but I live in a rural area and there is none.
    As for Hughes.Net, What a joke? It is false advertisement, that they call themselves a broadband company. What difference does the speed make, if you can only use that speed for about 33 minutes and then you have exceeded the FAP.
    In their advertising, they claim that they slow you down for 24 hours and they do, they slow me down to 0 to 12 kbs. I have to keep dialup, since i do on occasion exceed 200 mb in a 24 hour period and you cannot surf the web at 12 kbs. Tonight, i was put on FAP at 173 MB's. I guess that they knew i was going to exceed 200, which i did not.
    Anyway, the bottom line is they are not nearly as good as Direcway, they advertise falsely, the Tech service is almost non existant, and I think that i am going to pay the 400 dollar termination fee and have the pleasure of burning this crap. My high speed dialup actually does what it says it will do

p