Hughesnet / want to sue

I just wanted to let everyone know that after my own problems with hughes net and reading complaints on this site and others I am trying to contact lawyers about starting a class action lawsuit. I too have had issues with hughes net. First of free installation isnt free. They dont tell you that if it wont mount on your roof you are going to be out over 100 bucks. Then I just found out tonight that when I signed the paper for the installer that he said was just verifing that he did his job that I magically signed a 2 year contract. I purchased the equipment. In what company do you have to sign a contract if you purchase the equipment. Ever night we have to reset the router. There are days that we dont turn the computer on at all and come home to find we are over their fair access policy threshold. Tell me how does that happen. I mean come on. Now if i want to cancel I have to pay 400 dollars or take down the equipment myself and send it back to them at my expense and maybe they might credit my account $200.00. Thats what I find funny if i PURCHASED the equipment why do I have to send it back.
If I get any further information about my lawsuit I will let everyone know. Everyone needs to speak out about this. Trust me Im not one who believes in suing someone but this has gotten out of control. Especially since they have been sued a couple of times before.

Pd

Comments

• Li
      20th of Jun, 2011
    Best Best Advice +4 Votes

The FAP is a rip-off! First, I had HughesNet for at least 2 years before they instituted the FAP -- I didn't change anything, yet suddenly I'm an unwilling participant in FAP rules. Second, I get hit with large download hits -- WHEN MY COMPUTER IS NOT EVEN ON! Today, I was on my iPad - just messing around with twitter and I got hit with over 400MB of download -- I really think they randomly hit people and shut them down because they can't provide service to all their customers without shutting people down. I HATE hughesnet -- I have continually upgraded my plan so now I'm at $100 month and I still have to leave home if I want to work online. Biggest bunch of BS EVER! People living in remote areas and have no other internet options are being RAPED by hughesnet. I really wish somebody would do something. Bottom line - they instituted FAP after I was already a customer and I dont' think I should have to abide by it. Try calling them to complain -- you get some idiot in India who claims his mother named him James who barely speaks english, reads from a script and pretty much serves no purpose other than to apologize continually. Can't wait until Hughesnet gets what they deserve! If there's ever a class action lawsuit, COUNT ME IN!

20th of Jun, 2011

Hughesnet is horrible. Can someone explain to me (in English please, "James" from India need not respond) how tweeting from my iPad results in 450MB download? Happens all the time -- even when nobody is on computer. ALL computers are set to "NOT AUTO UPDATE" so don't even try to tell me. The fact that Hughesnet can charge you download without having to prove you downloaded anything at all is ridiculous. If you're going to charge me for something - either in downloads affecting FAP or money, you should have to show that it's legit. HATE Hughesnet. Only regret I have about moving from city to rural is HUGHESNET! What I don't understand is why so many people constantly complain, yet nothing changes. I just don't get it.

• Kr
      23rd of Jun, 2013

I think a major complaint should be over their 24 month agreement which isnt told to 99% of customers before they sign up. At the end of installation the installer provides you with a piece of paper and ask you to sign if the equipment is working. Apparently when you sign you are also agreeing to their 24 month service. The problem with this agreement is that NO where on the paper does it have the terms and conditions of the agreement or talk about a 24 month service commitment. Nor does it tell you where the agreement can be located.

26th of Jun, 2014

I tried searching "How to sue Hughesnet" and was discouraged to find that there was a class action against them in 2009, or at least an attempt, and apparently little was done. On top of that they have a government-backed reduced price guaranty plan, which is mind-boggling considering their foreign and archaic service. My intention is to complain about the slowness I experience at the end of every service month no matter how much or little bandwidth I use. If I had been on here a few hours ago, I wouldn't have been able to get this page to work properly. It's ridiculous. They're trying to blackmail customers into upgrading or buying tokens--and the tokens are crap as well. It would be great to have a free, competitive economy in America again.

• Ba
      24th of Apr, 2016

I have hughesnet since 2011 and it just gets slower and slower...I pay $60 a month and don't even get dialup speed...ookla speedtest shows less than 1 mps most of the time for download speed...I am being cheated.They answer the phone when I complain but, nothing is ever done to improve the speed of my service...they should be held accountable...They are so bad that the page went down as I was typing this

• Ni
      25th of May, 2016

They are horrible. I want to sue them too. How can we start a law sue if we decided as a group?

• Us
      17th of Dec, 2016

@ninepeq Let me know of anything I can help with these thugs. -C-4 around their dishes would work for me.

• Lo
      4th of Dec, 2017

@user1618729 Please keep me updated too. I’ve had thee service for a whopping three days with dial up speed at best. Saturday, I spent three hours on the phone doing multiple tests and then transferred to the retention department to talk and re-test another hour! This particular manager, Ann, told me she wasn’t hanging up until my issue was resolved AND I would be compestated for my time...five minutes later my call was disconnected and I was never called back! Sunday morning I tried calling again and a half hour into the call I was disconnected again. I’m furious and I really need help.

16th of Apr, 2018

@ninepeq I am onboard to sue Hughes.net also. They have ripped me off for a pymt they took out in Feb for $370 for cancelling service since I wasn't getting any service. then April for $318. I guess this is for not climbing on top of my house to take down their equipment to send back.

• Ms
      29th of Jun, 2016

I signed up with their 60gbs per month. But what they don't tell you is that you can only use 10gbs and the other 50 can be used by the hours 10pm-2am. Who's up at that time!?!. I even turn off all our devices when we leave for work and when I check my usage, it shows that GBs are being used. No one is home! We have no neighbors! Is a ghost using my internet?? They are a scam. Everyone should know.

• 12
      27th of Aug, 2016

Hughes.net's community chatrooms are starting to buzz with angry people complaining that their data cap seems to be shrinking even though
    their usage hasn't changed. And company reps go into these chatrooms and try to convince people it's them, or that there are all these phantom
    data eaters that steal their data allowance when they don't realize it. There seem to be a lot of strange anomalies occurring of data points disappearing even when people are off their computers. Hughes.net has already been through one class action lawsuit for similar issues -
    not delivering on their promised speeds/data caps. They are robber barons and apparently are only getting their wrist slapped and have
    decided that profits from lies are more lucrative even when lawsuits figure into the cost of doing business.
    The car companies did basically the same thing. At first they hired reps to go on the automobile chatrooms to convince those complaining that their cars weren't getting the promised mileage that it was their driving habits that were causing the problem. Finally the car companies were found to in fact be
    lying and class action suits ensued. But really it was just a slap on the wrist compared to the profits from their lies.

• Em
      26th of Dec, 2016

I want to cancel but don't have a gazillion dollars for them to steal from me. Sucks!! Guess I'm just gonna lower my bill as much as possible and call at&t out.

• Ri
      21st of Jan, 2017

I seem to be having the same issue as many of you. There has to be a lawyer that will take them on in a class action lawsuit.

• Gu
      25th of Feb, 2017

Need to find a lawyer and post an ad, folks -- Bet we could win -- Breach of Contract --
    In good faith we accepted their word...

• En
      16th of Apr, 2017

I have subscribed to their highest level opf service for more than four years. It is horrific, we can run out of data in 14 days, we can be throttled after only a few days. We will be happy to cooperate with any class action lawsuit !!!
    eugene.pilcher@yahoo.com 615-294-6198

• De
      18th of Apr, 2017

I hate Hugesnet! They say I should be able to do online classwork. I can't hear my seminar because I am lagging up to 11 seconds or more behind! When I test from my end it says poor connection. Connected as a modem. I called support and was disconnected 4 times in one night at the same question and the 4th time it was a supposedly at supervisor. I don't care if I sue them, I want out! I don't want to pay for something that isn't what they promised or pay $50 more for faster speed. ( maybe) Is there anything we can do?

• Ca
      26th of Apr, 2017

I read about half the complaints listed here, and each familiarly describes my experiences with HughesNet as well. I have been seasonal HughesNet customer since 2010 and have been victim to diminutions of quality in their product offerings as well as their robotic customer service. Saying “thank you for calling HughesNet, ” “May I put you on hold” or simply being allowed to talk to “the next available representative” might make for politeness but do not constitute customer service. Neither do their ignoring of case notes on a particular complaint or problem, not having the capability to adequately address a complaint, misleading the customer with inaccurate information or insisting that any given problem lay with the customer and not with their service. It is past time that this company is taken to task for their highly made promises and lowly fulfilled standards of product, delivery, and service. Count me in on any such actions against this sorry company and its distasteful business practices.

• Ko
      18th of May, 2017

I totally agree with everyone's complaints. HughesNet has terrible service. I cancelled my service and they instructed me to return the equipment that I supposedly had already purchased. I failed to send back the equipment so they charged me $376. A month later, they debited $100 out of my bank account. I called today and HughesNet said that is was a mistake. I asked when would I receive a refund and they said 10 days. Why do I have to wait 10 days for a refund? I need my money now. I only had $90 in my checking account, and the $100 debit from HughesNet caused my account to incur insufficient fund fees. HughesNet refused to pay the fees because they said the bank is responsible for the fees. That is a bunch of BS!!! Please let me know if you decide to sue. I am all in!!! I'm currently trying to see if I can take them to small claims court. My email is tae8249@hotmail.com.

• Be
      2nd of Jun, 2017

I'm all in to, they have so drained me dry, lied to me, stressed me out to a point were I now have panicle attract. I'm also a victim of Hugh net robbing me, lieing to me and one emotional distress.

16th of Jun, 2017

I am in... Been dealing with them for nearly a year. The loss of data allocation and having to download tokens constantly though I've not been online and my router has been turned off. Calling daily to get courtesy tokens to use the internet. Spending at least an hour a day on hold and explaining the data bleed issues adnousioum to get a free token. I pay my fee per month and they don't honor their commitment to provide service. I recently asked to terminate and they said there would be an early termination fee of 325. I told them they breached the contract by not providing service as agreed. The termination was to occur June, 3, 2016. Subsequently I found an individual to purchase the equipment and assume the account. They would not allow the transaction to occur because I had announced that I was terminating. They had to reinstitute the account to allow the transfer and that would cost me 25 bucks even though my account was good until the end of the month... Oh well take the 25 bucks I said and reinstate my account so the transfer to the account holder can be completed. I thought I was done with them... But they charged my credit card for early termination in the amount of 325 bucks. So I called them and asked for my money to be refunded... They stated that that would cost me 74 bucks and change. I got angry and demanded refund. They said they would have to check with the new account holder to get permission to issue a check to me for the refund since he was now the account holder. They said the check would take 45 days to issue. I could receive the refund quickly by contacting the new account holder and giving him my credit card information which he would have to enter into his hughes.net account... I blew up again saying they charged my account prematurely as my service was to end on June 1st not May 3rd when the charged my card. They said only the new account holder could authorize a refund to me... I am currently on hold with a supervisor and have been on hold for 1:11 minutes and counting. They are calling the new account holder to get permission to give me back my money that they should never have removed from my credit card. By John Gerbase

• Ed
      24th of Jun, 2017

My complaint is being told by everyone on the above pages, I just have one question why is this being allowed to happen to so many people and who do we turn to...

• Ba
      29th of Sep, 2017

Called DirecTV to ask about wifi, they hooked me up with Hugesnet. I asked how much I had to pay for them to come out to install. They stated no charge. I asked twice . Same answer. They then asked for a credit card I asked why they needed it If I didn't have to pay. They stated to have it in my file. Found out they took $64 out of my account the next day. Got a call saying I was misinformed. They apologized and offered 20 off my acct for 3 months. I told them I wanted my money returned to my acct. They stated they couldn't do that. This caused me an over draft. I'm disabled and budget to the penny. Very angry if I had not specifically asked them about the cost, I wouldn't be angry, but I asked. In today's economy being disabled is hard enough . No one deserves to be lied to. .

• Ro
      12th of Oct, 2018

@Barbara skinner HughesNet has predatory practices and prey on consumers. They did the same thing to me.

• Je
      29th of Oct, 2017

I would like to know if you found a lawyer as i have been ripped off every month since i got them.

• Gl
      19th of Mar, 2018

@Jessica Whittenburg I moved from Bella Vista, Arkansas to Winslow, Arkansas. Called Cox Cable. They said they don't service my house even though my neighbors on each side have it. I had to get Hughesnet. The very night after installation I wanted to see a 3 minute video on you tube and it might have been 10 second in and started buffering! I thought I had moved to HELL!! This crap is slower than DIAL UP! I told them up front that I had a Roku 4K HD TV and they said not problem. LIARS!! The only time you can talk to anyone in America is when you 1st order. Then if you try to cancel you have to call overseas (I got the Philippines every time). I also signed paperwork from the installer that said he was finished and it apparently also served as a contract which I was told when I ordered I had no contracts. I've told the Philippine folk in a very loud manner to come get all this CRAP cause I talked Cox cable into hooking up to my house. I called them months ago and they have yet to pick this junk up. I gave them my debit card so since they said I had to pay about 4 to $500 to get out of the "contract" which I said Screw you---I called my bank and they told me how many bills I was paying each month via my card and it was 3 companies including hughesnet. I told the bank to send me another debit card, changed the card # on my 2 accounts that I keep every month so when hughesnet tries to take money out around the 25th of March they'll be hit with a non payment. Maybe then I'll hear from them. My credit rating is almost 800 and I'm just going to dispute the charges if they put it on my credit report. HUGHESNET SUX!!
    Glenda (Genz)