Hughes Internet Service / terrible service and false advertisement

1 P.O. Box 115Wilmar, United States Review updated:
Phone: 870-469-5617

The service at this company totally stinks. The people that you try to talk with cannot speak good English and they have standard answers. My internet download speed sucks 8 hours out of 24. Of the remaining 16 hours, we sleep approximately 8 so that only give us about 8 hours of what is suppose to be quality service. Every day at 4:00 PM the speed drops from the low to mid 700kbps to the mid to low 80 kbps. It stays this low until new day starts at 12:00 AM. I have called at least 30 times and no help. Then all of a sudden my speed is up and stays up for about a week and then back down.

I have looked else where but the only thing that even comes close to good service is WildBlue. When my speed is low the people that I know that have WildBlue their download speed is 900-1000 kbps. Am looking at this service but have not changed yet. There really ought to be something that we, as a group, could do to get Hughes Network Systems on the carpet for illegal advertisement.

Might as well forget it, don't guess that we stand a chance.

LaMar.

Comments

• Cb
      1st of Jul, 2008

Contact the state attorney generals office and the better business bureau in your area and file a complaint. If enough people file a complaints, something will get done.

• Cb
      1st of Jul, 2008

We are experiencing the same problem. Tech says speed of 17 kbps is good, but we have documentation that speed is normally up to about 7oo kbps. They are in breach of contract. We have been paying for a service they don't seem to be able to provide, all they are interested in is the money they collect every month. We must stick together.

• Bu
      2nd of Jul, 2008

I had Hughes Net for almost 2 years. I was paying $100.
    a month for a service that worked part of the time and then it was super slow. Broadband what a joke. I was finally able to get DSL and it is a godsend. I cancelled Hughes over 2 months ago and their equiptment is still here. They want me too spend another hour on the phone talking to someone I can't understand to get it removed. It can rust away before I call them again.

• Ka
      18th of Jul, 2008

I am upset I have been trying to terminate my contract with them. I called them to terminate on May 29th they said they told me that I had to call them back on the 25th of May. I have been traveling and without my mail or computer for two months and find that they have charged my credit account twice and won't undo the charges so says Lola in the Philippines. I really don't like it when I have to deal with people in other countries about business that is supposed to be American.

My advice is don't deal with them at all if you can help it.

14th of Aug, 2008

I have Wild Blue and don't recommend you change to it. Our complaints about it are same as yours are about Hughes!

• Oh
      14th of Sep, 2009
    Hughes Internet Service - not working since day one
    hughes internet
    Oklahoma

My Aunts internet service has never worked since day one and she pays $ 71.00 a month. She is 69 yrs old so I have repeatedly call the peovider and they want to charge her $125.00 to send out a tech. We have went through all the process on the telephone and the connection is slower then dail up. But they arrsure us it is working ok. She can't attach files and the computer always says internet connection problem contact server. They won't work with us. We go over everything IPP ect and this dosen't change a thing. We want to cancel service but she has a contract for two yrs and they will charge her over $400.00 to do so. They are robbing her blind. She pays monthly for a service that dosen't work. Do not get Hughes internet service, you will be sorry you did so.

• So
      14th of Sep, 2009

It IS possible that something is amiss with the computer. It may be worth your while to have the system checked, especially if it as older system. There are any number of problems that could affect Internet connection and speed. If you don't want Hughes to do the diagnostic there are any number of other companies who can do it for you. Its typically cheaper to take the computer to them, but they can test the internet connection if you have them come to the house.

Additionally, if you have a friend with a laptop they could bring it over and try the internet connection on their computer. In the event the laptop also has problems connecting then call back and have them explain why two different computers have the same problem.

• Sn
      29th of Dec, 2009

My service from Hughes net was so slow so I called them. Apparently because of some so called fairness act, all hughes net customers are only allowed a 300mb download per month. If you exceed this download limit, your internet will be slow and worthless. Here's the kicker, the tech directs me to Hughes services website where they will sell you tokens for $7.50 a piece and you will again have super fast internet. They also give 1 free token per month. I don't know about anyone else but doesn't this sound like it should be illegal. I mean, we are paying for service aren't we??? And how exactly does that make it fair for all hughes net customers, whoever wants to pay more gets better service???? This is ridiculous and I am going to file a complaint! By the way, I used the free token and my internet is super fast again. The website, so you can see for yourselves is www.services.hughes.net.

• Tb
      25th of Jan, 2011

you know they should tell you about the[so called]fairness act when you order the service.i didn't know about it untill i called about my service was slow-if it picked up at all-then that's when i found out about the tokens for $7.50-that's bs