Hotels.com / refunds

1 Aspen, CO, United States

I booked through Hotels.com on September 26th, 2018 for a stay at Grand Lodge Crested Butte (Feb 19-24th) at first the website said it would charge 1 night's accommodation but charged the full amount of $1, 183 for all 4 days. I cancelled this on January 3rd 2019 and they told me that my credit card would be refunded in 7 days. I rebooked a 1 bedroom with the Vail Reservations directly as they seemed easier to work with however that was soon a very big disappointment. The agent even laughed when I told him about hotels.com since they are a known disaster to work with. I spoke to hotels.com on January 12th we told me they can no longer help and I would need to speak with the Vail Wholesale department to get my refund. Just like that Hotels.com walked away! My daughter is racing in the Prader Cup in Crested Butte so it's a very expensive ski race for parents.
I called them on the 12th of January, 2019 and they assured me my refund was processing. No refund 10 days later, no follow up with me like they said they would. I called back myself on the 22nd of January, 2019 and Amanda said that it should still be processing and she would reach out to accounting - still nothing but in the meantime I now had another full charge of $1, 413.00 for my upcoming stay. Obviously no problem charging money just getting it back. I was told they just acquired Crested Butte and the reservations team was still learning.
Now 25 days after the cancellation I call back and speak with the assistant manager of wholesale reservations who says she can process my cancellation over the phone and I will definitely get it in another 10 days. I had to provide another credit card because they no longer have the numbers and she explained it was their issue because they changed systems and a lot of customer's money is floating around. I am glad it's my 3rd call trying to find where my refund was since if I didn't call again nothing would have happened. I asked for either a discount or upgrade since they had owned all the problems but NO nothing can be done on their side perhaps I could get in touch with the front desk agent at the hotel directly. I have worked in 5 star hospitality in Aspen for 15 years what front desk agent can deal with offering a discount or upgrade?? They want the customer to call and ask a front deck agent!!!
Each person has just blamed the next and each step up nothing can be done. I asked Rachel to reach out to the General Manager of the resort and at least have some follow up with me. This is a great start to a 4 night stay at Grand Lodge Crested Butte where I am paying $467.00 per night for a 3 star hotel. Not impressed with Vail at this point and how this has been handled. There seems to be a huge communication gap from reservations to the hotel and lack of ownership from each department. All the managers can say is I understand - how would they feel as the customer? How about offering a free breakfast or lift tickets at least Aspen would know how to make the guest feel appreciated!
I look forward to some follow up from someone. We are there to ski race with and enjoy Crested Butte.
Jacquelyn Carr