Hot Topic / Bad service

United States Review updated:
2.2
I just recieved an order from HotTopic.com. My daughter had her earrings no more than 3 hours when they broke. I contacted HT and was told repeatedly that I couldn't return them for an exchange because she wore them. I could see if I was trying to return it because she didn't like them. But they were BROKEN. She just wants a new pair.
Va

Comments

Po
  24th of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I agree. Most of the customer service representatives don't listen to what you are saying or what the problem is. They just keep saying the same, robotic things over and over, and in the end, I still got no satisfaction. I am having an ongoing problem with an order/return/exchange now for the last month. What a joke.
Ks
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
If you take it to the store, they will exchange it for you without hassle.
Ks
  8th of May, 2009
Not to mention, yours is the only complaint on here about Hot Topic. With a company as big as they are, I would say that's a good sign.
Re
  8th of May, 2009
just take them back to the store and they will exchange them I am sure
At
  23rd of Jun, 2009
I work for the company. If the item is damaged, they will gladly exchange it for the same item or give you a store credit. make sure you take in your receipt though. If no receipt, they have to give you the merch cred. for the current selling price.

This sounds like a manufactures defect, not a damage by the customer not paying attention and getting upset. =) Take it to the store. We all take the punch of internet returns everyday. =)
Su
  23rd of Jun, 2009
Damn, I didn't even know that HT was still in business. Emo kids unite!
Ho
  6th of Jul, 2009
Bann Hot Topics!

Bad Service all around. They screwed me out of $100. I used gift cards to purchase items a while back the balance was used so they took my cards. Later I returned the items and they printed out a receipt with a credit balance and didn’t give me a new card, which I thought was odd. I try to be nice and not question someone about their job, but I should just assume people are stupid and tell them the right way to do everything. I kept the receipt thinking it was as good as having the gift card. I was WRONG! What a scam! Instead of trying to please their customer they blamed me for something they did. Poor customer service! I’ll never shop there again and I will make sure others follow.
De
  1st of Aug, 2009
Where do I begin with Hot Topic?! My son and friends went into a Hot Topic while being supervised by my Husband. My son has his own debit card and has never been in any form of trouble before. He had a package of buttons in his hand as well as clothing, he had decided against the buttons and set them down. Spent over $100 on the clothing items. The "manager" detained him in the store accusing him of stealing the buttons. He clearly stated that he had set them down and was able to show her where though she refused to let him go. My Husband after hearing the commotion walked over to see what the trouble was (Husband is in law enforcement) and she blatantly called my Son a thief. My Son told my Husband where the buttons were, he walked over, picked them up and said Excuse me here they are. She then refused to apologize as my Husband told her that an apology was in order as he was extremely embarrassed in front of many customers. She then told the customers (some of which put their items back) that my Husband had "quite an attitude." When I called Hot Topic to discuss this I was informed that this happened because of my son's pink polo, making him a target for the employee's. If you would not like judgment place then do not place judgment. One's behavior is indeed what makes one the target and the behavior of the employee's of this store has spoken in volumes.
Wa
  13th of Oct, 2009
i agree the same things have happened to me and might i ad trying to charge up seen amounts for crap and false advertising to customers many of there items are items that are defective and shotty craftsmenship like there horbbile bras that stab you or there cheap material they use and might i ad they act like that in every hot topic store rude to there customers and they not only done this to me they've done this to many many people i for will never shop there ever again in my life there are so many other stores that don't do the stuff hot topic dose and you right they singel out any kid that dose not look like them so in other words there rasist
He
  5th of Nov, 2009
i am using this info for my project, what a helpfull site :D
Tw
  18th of Sep, 2010
I am DISGUSTED with Hottopic's customer service! Where do I begin?

*Please note: I am an international buyer, so going into the store and asking for a refund is completely out of the question for me.

(I have numbered my complaints for the reader's convenience.)

1. I ordered a package that had shoes. Hottopic sent me an email three days after the item was shipped to inform me they had sold out the shoes. Which is fine, I understand the concept that selling out = no product for me, however, they still charged me 70 odd dollars for shipping instead of the flat rate of 30. I am to this day, still waiting on a refund.

2. The very same order, I ordered a feathered shrug. Which in my email informed me that it was paid for and coming my way. When I recieved the order, I recieved two of the same belt, but in two different sizes. I emailed hottopic asking them to rectify this, but never got a reply!

3. To add insult to injury, another package turned up a week after the other package, addressed to me. I opened it, and was surprised to find $100 worth of small men's shirts. I looked at the information slip on the inside and discovered the billing address to some guy in Japan; obviously meant for him, but was sent to me by mistake. I contacted Hottopic, (who, for never getting back to me on my previous issues, got back to me SURPRISINGLY fast) asked me to send the package back to them AT MY OWN EXPENSE and told me I would be reimbursed UPON the package returning to them. So, in reality, there is no guarantee that I will be reimbursed, and; looking at their prior course of dealings, will take a long time and in the meantime, I'm out 100 odd dollars (40 from 1., 20 from 2 and 60 to send the package back.) . The fact of the matter is, why should I have to put 40 of my own hard-earned dollars to rectify THEIR mistake?
4. When I emailed them, asking them to reimburse me FIRST, they replied with the same, robotic cut-and-paste answers in the last emails, stating 'send it back to this address', completely ignoring everything I said in the previous email! No, 'thank you for being a decent person and alerting us about our F***-up!' If I'd have known how much I was going to be screwed around, I would have just kept the damn shirts and said nothing at all!Fortunately (or unfortunately for me?), every moral fibre in my body would not allow me to do that.
In summing, I am not happy with hottopic's appauling customer service and will be most likely referring this matter to the appropriate authorities.
Ph
  29th of Oct, 2010
Hottopic online is HORRIBLE.
I ordered a few items, and was charged for everything right away.
I then saw after a few days that one item was marked "THANK YOU FROM HOTTOPIC"
I then kept asking, calling and emailing them asking why it said that.
I was then told that an item I bought were sold out and were not sent.

I kept tracking my package everyday on the fedex website.
After the day it was expected to arrive said that it was delivered, I contacted Fedex, went to a local fedex shipping facility, and notified hottopic.
After what is now 4 weeks after it was said it was delivered, I am left with Fedex saying it was shipped to the wrong address, after speaking to the driver. The address it was claimed it was delivered to was next door to my house.
It is impossible that the fedex truck was ever on my street.
I asked all my neighbors and none of them had seen the fedex truck deliver
anything.
After contacting fedex, they say it is not their problem and that I need to handle it with hottopic. Hottopic keeps sending me forms to fill out. Which I did, and also sent back.
I am still just waiting for a refund, and hottpic keeps avoiding me and even hanging up on me when I'm on the phone with them.
I just want a refund, since the items I bought are now not available.

I will NEVER purchase anything from hottopic, it has been the worst possible online purchase I have ever made.
And that is coming from someone who lives in the States, I could not imagine how hard it is for international shoppers.
Cu
  27th of Nov, 2010
11/26/10 Spent two hours shopping on their website for Christmas gifts for my girls. Could not check out. Kept getting "Hot Topic Server Error"...tried through paypal and through Hot Topic's checkout...same error...tried calling customer service. As of right now I have been on hold for one hour. Ridiculous.
  28th of Nov, 2010
Hot Topic's body jewelry are very low quality. I've purchased several labrets, studs, and barbells, and they were all scratched. All of them. Their colored steel body jewelry all fade out after just a few short months.
  28th of Nov, 2010
Hot Topics body jewelry are very low quality. Ive purchased several barbells, studs, and plugs. All of their stainless steel body jewelry usually come scratched up or the ball is jammed. Their colored stainless steel body jewelry all faded out after just a few short months.
  28th of Nov, 2010
Yes, I always go local and inspect before buying now. Last time I purchase online body jewelry.
Ka
  9th of Dec, 2010
i agree with all the complaints and im sick of the fact that they dont carry plus size clothing my car wont make it to torridi mean come they need to wake up
Ka
  27th of Dec, 2010
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
i ordered some make up, shoes and shorts, 1 day later i got an email saying that they were sold out of the shorts and shoes wtf why do they put them on their website if they dont have, to make matters worse they charged me for the items they never sent me, will never shop online ever again they screwed me over and im so mad
Gh
  27th of Dec, 2010
Ugh. What can I say? My wife ordered a T shirt from them through amazon. In return, HT decided to leave out a key word in my address, the full street name. Granted I have one of those abbreviated street names named after a mountain. But they put MT. Cr. ... MT. Cr.?...Really? What mountains do you know that are named MOUNTAIN! Granted, they're out sourced and when you call customer service you're probably calling Indonesia, but I'm sure that they don't have any mountains named mountain. Needless to say, but I will anyway, they blamed it on her. They said "we only printing out the address from the account screen." ... really?... now I know they are lying to me. My wife's account has the full shipping address... That's when I flew off my rocker to them. I used a lot of choice words that I will not repeat here. I know that it doesn't help my situation, but it made me feel, oh so much better. I mean, come on, do they really think that my wife is so stupid that she doesn't know her own address? If that wasn't his thought, it was sure what he said. I stopped shopping at Hot Topic long after the age of 16 when I realized that thier merch was crap and too expensive. haha, how does that work? Crappy made tee shirts for $20.00 a pop? But my wife found one on amazan that she knew I wanted, so she bought it for Christmas. She now vows to never do it again. One thing...I spoke to another CS rep today, she was much more pleasant and helpful, but I asked what they planned on doing about this whole mix up. She said if the post office doesn't find it in two days, they'll give me a full refund. To be honest, I'd much rather have the shirt, you have my correct address now, just send it again. You're losing money either way.
Jo
  26th of May, 2011
Don't ever buy the Morbid Metals body jewelry from Hot Topic. They all suck, fall apart, break easily, and I've bought a screw in that was jammed closed. I paid $12 for that POS that went straight to the trash. SCREW HOT TOPIC FOR SELLING US THAT CRAP.

Hot Topic Logo Hot Topic