HMS Home Warranty / HMS National / Cinch Home Services / home warranty coverage - emergency customer service - no heat 18 degrees - would not send someone; I wasn't allowed to call someone; told "oh well."

1 po box 559003 ft. lauderdale fl 33355-9003, Hampton, VA, United States

On Sunday, Jan. 20, 2019, we had a power outage and our thermostat on our TRANE HVAC system went blank. We reset the breakers, but it would not turn on. The system was on, but would not provide heat because of the thermostat. I called HMS as my home warranty clearly covers this, and I had no heat in my house. It was to be 18 degrees with a "real feel" of -4 degrees for the night. I was told that they had no companies who were willing to go out and that I could call ABC Heating and Air when they open at 8am. I explained that I had children and pets, and what the temp. was, and again, that I had no heat. I was told that there was nothing they could do and if I called a business myself, I would void my home warranty on my HVAC system. I asked to speak with a manager, and was told there were no managers on duty, but that I could ask for a "call back" and someone would call me another day. I said I also had hotel nights on my policy/contract. Could I use those? I was told that I needed to call Assurant, and was given the number. I called twice, to get a recording that said I needed to call between the hours of 8am and 8pm M-F, and no holidays. This was to set up a hotel room if you were displaced from your home because of emergency. I was told I could not be reimbursed for the hotel if I did not have them set it up.
The first page of my contract warranty book states, "So when emergencies arise, there's no need to worry - your budget is now protected. Plus you have access to Customer Care representatives ready to assist when you need it the most." I received no care, no service, and a threat that if I took care of my family and my house so they and pipes didn't freeze, I would forfeit my warranty. We wound up all sleeping on the floor in my living room with a space heater and my fireplace; hoping that the pipes didn't freeze, and that a spark didn't set the house on fire. When I called ABC heating at 8am, I was told they would be there before noon. When they came, they asked me if I had the instruction manual for the system. After a while, they replaced the TRANE thermostat ($235) with a honeywell ($60). I explained that the thermostat was a TRANE, and was told that, "It isn't, TRANE doesn't make thermostats. Someone just put a sticker on it." (Really? I am female, not stupid.) I looked up the model number right then and showed him that it was a TRANE and what it cost, as well as his model and what it cost. I was then told that he could put it back up and wait to get approval to put one in, and I wouldn't have heat for a week because I would have to wait for them to fit me in, if I didn't want the one they put in. My warranty says things will be replaced with items that have comparable features. This does not. It is not wifi compatible; not touch screen, etc. I have yet to have someone call me. I kept the original thermostat, as well as all paperwork with the new one, including the beat up box. Also, there should be 3 recordings of my phone calls with the customer service representatives from yesterday between 8:00 pm and 9:30pm, the second was Taylor who would not tell me which call center she was with, and the last was Katie. Katie said there were notes from the first rep. Taylor said there were no notes written.

Md