Hippo Books Or Books / Condition of Book

1 PO Box 355008, Toledo, OH 43635Toledo, United States Review updated:

"Picturing Texts" - Book

I am outraged. I never, ever order anything unless it's either new or very good condition on up.

I just now received [protected]) the most wretched copy of this book, and it's in godawful shape. Stickers all over the front cover, stickers all over the back cover, stickers on the spine, threaded tape around the back cover, and the front cover is folded in many, many, many places.

Then, when I opened the flimsy book (with the front cover folding over itself), all the beginning pages were also folded and rippled and extremely worn down.

This book is my no means in excellent, very good, or even good condition. It's disgusting, and I never would have even TOUCHED it, were I shopping in, for instance, a used book store. It just looks terrible, and I don't want it.

I can't find a way to contact the company, either, which is absolutely INFURIATING.

I want a full refund, and immediately

Su
Jan 11, 2014

More Hippo Books Or Books Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Ro
      9th of May, 2014

The above complaint about Hippo Books is absolutely right.
    The bookseller sent me the wrong item and never replied to my message. Besides, along with the wrong book I received, there was no receipt confirming my order and instructing about a return.
    Fortunately, I was refunded the expense by abebooks, altough I had to spend more money than the amount refunded in order to mailing back the wrong item.
    I will never, never again purchase a book on sale by Hippo Books, Toledo, OH.

12th of Jun, 2014

The book I received is not the book I ordered. I would like to be contacted about returning the book I got and getting the correct book I ordered.
    Thank you.

12th of Jun, 2014

The book I just received is not the book I ordered. I would like to be contacted so I can return it for the correct book. Thank you.

• Bm
      2nd of Aug, 2014

I purchased a book from this 3rd party vendor off Barnes and Noble. I purchased this book 07-10-14 and was advised it would take 4-14 business days. Since they were a bulk mail provider I didn't get a tracking number. Conventiently they told me that if I haven't received it by Today (August 2nd) that I would need to contact them. I just received and email that stated, "My appologies but if you haven't recieved the package by now it must have been lost. We will be refunding your package and shipping amount." How ridiculous is that? It got lost? Oh, and conveniently the only package that didn't have a tracking number? This is not cool in anyway. From the looks of it they sell to multiple websites and they rip off people in many ways. Pay attention to the sellers ID because if it say Hippo Book from Toledo, OH. WALK AWAY! They will scam you.

• Ti
      9th of Nov, 2014

To all those complaining about Hippo Books: I'm not associated with them and found this page looking for a phone number to buy from them. And I suspect that I'm going out of my way to locate/buy their books for the same reason that you already have, PRICE...$1 per Book in cases. Am I right? Don't get me wrong, nor read more into this than I'm precisely saying please. But, think back and do quick calculations of the costs involved, the people you DID hear from, the B&N/ABE Fees, those phones WE can't locate numbers for albeit I'm certain they have one, electricity, not to mention wages. &'the books themselves!doubt hey were a Free & certain the employees aren't volunteers! That said, if the description said MINT, AS NEW, FINE or Even Anything close, they were wrong to sell & ship the book the one person at top here received. I'm betting they made a human-error (.whomever hasn't throw the first bad-word) OR something in the description WAS included at the person left that out! In a society that has had Free TV, Libraries, Fire Departments, and much more for a Lifetime; now adding Free ?Internet, Movies, Even Food & Beverage many different ways ( and I'm guilty of all this too but reading you guys "opened my eyes to such a terrible flaw in our culture; my insisting on cheaper & cheaper airline flights in the 80's, 90's & 00's, and now look how unhappy we are with the poor service & quality...that WE YELLED FOR!) ...this causes businesses to pay their people less! Labor is the #1 cost for most companies! All I'm saying is let's ALL, ME INCLUDED, Start factoring in the facts of what "VALUE" did I get for what I paid & was it an honest mistake. That's all. Then I think we will all be happier; I'm certain there will be less stress & ill-will! Sincerely, Tim Miller

• Lo
      25th of Feb, 2015

I attempted to buy a quantity of children's books on Amazon shipped by Hippo_Books which were advertised @ $0.01 each, thinking by selecting books from this shipper that the shipping cost would be book rate. WRONG! The shipping cost of $3.99 was applied to each book, bringing the "bargain" up to a total of $182.00 plus or minus for paperback used children's scholastic reading books. What deceitful business practices on the part of either Amazon or Hippo partnering in such a scam. Never again.

• Ni
      30th of Apr, 2015

In correspondence quoted wrong dispatch date which was a month after it was actually dispatched. Took an inordinately long 43 days to get to Australia and they sent me the wrong book! Now they want " a photo of the damaged item" before they can issue an exchange or refund. What damaged item? They sent the wrong book which they should rectify immediately. They do not seem to read emails or orders correctly, despite running a book business. Nonsensical and immensely frustrating to deal with. Return emails don't make sense of the problem.

• Ld
      8th of May, 2015

I've just had a bad experience with Hippo through Alibris as well. The Bait And Switch
    is alive and well ln Toledo. I ordered a HARDBACK copy of "Suttree" .. an alleged HB
    copy anyway and AFTER I placed the order the order confirmation said, "paperback"...
    I proceeded through the usual waiting game of trying to get a response from Alibris ; why
    don't they list a telephone number? Further, I went online and the number I found for
    Hippo was, "no longer in service". Alibris did email and credit my c.c, but this is the third
    episode of this sort. I wish they ran a more professional business.

• Gb
      14th of Dec, 2015

I recently had a totally different experience with Hippo Books than those listed above. It started out similar but the resolution was absolutely positive.
    I ordered a book (used) from Barnes & Noble which was filled through Hippo Books. The book I received was the second edition instead of the third edition I ordered. Also there was no packing list with the order. I checked online trying to find contact info & found this site. After reading some of the posts I feared the worst about getting the issue resolved
    . I contacted B & N, for contact info which they supplied. I sent an e-mail to Hippo Books explaining the problem & received a reply (and apology) the next day asking for a photo of the book along with a photo of the inventory sticker. I supplied the pictures & the next day received another reply (and another apology) stating that they did not have the book I wanted in stock.
    To resolve the matter they gave me a full refund including shipping. I was also told that I could keep the book I received or donate it as I saw fit.
    The total time from sending the first e-mail to Hippo to the refund posted to my C.C. was three days. Maybe my situation is the exception but I doubt it. I have no complaints.

29th of Jan, 2016

This company is a complete rip-off. They rip people off and they know it that is why they don't have a phone number. You can email them but the chances of hearing back from them are very slim. I ordered a book from them and got the wrong book. When I emailed them about the issue I never heard from them again. COMPLETE SCAM! STAY AWAY FROM HIPPO BOOKS!!!

22nd of Sep, 2016

I ordered a book from Abebooks. The book was described as being in good condition. When it arrived, however, its condition was average at best. So I contacted customer support, and (after I provided them with photographic evidence of my claim) they offered me a full refund without having to return the book. As such, their customer support managed to change what was initially a very negative experience to a very positive experience!

• Je
      20th of May, 2018

Absolutely appalling service! Hippo Books ripped me off. They literally SCAMMED me!!! They OVERCHARGED me after cancelling my order, and I cancelled before it was dispatched! I noticed in the seller comments they mention priding themselves on their customer service-that is a farce!! Their customer service was despicable. They falsely advertised, overcharged me and were rude, unhelpful and complete avoided the issue. One moment they admitted the fault on their part and the next they denied it and would do nothing to help me. A disgusting way to treat paying customers!!