Hair Clubhorrible service

I have been in the unfortunate position to have to use hair replacement systems for many years after a chronic illness caused me to lose my hair, and, as a woman, I have not had the courage to just accept baldness. As a result I have used several hair replacement stylists, and companies and conclude that Hair Club is the least horrible of the ones I have dealt with.

First, I will say that any replacement system will never be as good, or look as good, as your own hair. If anybody is going to try a hair system, which is basically just a fancy name for a wig, that person must be realistic about what a company or stylist can actually accomplish.

The hair systems I have tried have been attached to my head by different means: tape, glue, clips, and even sewn to my own thin hair when I had hair.

I have done business with individual stylists, bought my own hair systems on line, and entered into contracts with three different national companies, including HC.

I will tell you what I have learned in my long history of hair replacment systems:

1. None of these systems were ever completely undetectable, and no system out there ever will be, but certain systems were less detectable than others. For instance, human hair is more natural looking than synthetic, medium to heavy density is the most natural looking, I think, and full lace caps are less detectible than any other material.

2. All hair systems that are glued or taped to your head will come up, and come loose after just a few days. If you use this type of system ( I use a combination of glue and tape) which, for me, feels the most securely attached, you will have to learn how to re-secure the system yourself almost every day and in between salon appointments, which is pretty simple to do.

3. No hair, no matter if its virgin, remy, human, synthetic, Indian, Chinese, or hair from an alien from outer space, is going to last more than a few weeks, or even a few months before it will either have to be thrown away or sent in to have more hair added to it. Whenever you comb your hair, wash it or style it, some hairs are going to break or fall out, and, obviously, since it doesn't grow back, you will eventually be left with stringy hair and/or bald spots if you don't buy a new one or send it in to have hair added. I find my systems have not lasted more than 2 weeks, so I bought 26 heads of hair, and have a new one applied every two weeks.

4. All hair systems will need to be washed every 3-4 days as they get dull and stiff and can start to smell. You must be careful when you are washing the system. Comb it out before you wash, use moisturizing shampoos and conditioners, do not rub it a lot when you are washing it, apply a shine gloss or detangler, comb it out again, and let it air dry as much as possible before styling, and never use super high heat when drying or styling.

5. I have found individual stylists to be unreliable and go out of business very often. They are also difficult to reach if you have an emergency, usually doing business on a cell phone and if they don't feel like answering their cell phone, you are out of luck. So if you need regular service, you may want to consider a bigger company that is more established. Also individual stylists tend to cost a little less than the bigger companies, but I don't mind paying more, for more reliable service.

6. Buying your own hair on line costs less, but it is very difficult to figure out what kind of hair to order, how to measure your head correctly for a custom fit and then you have to apply it yourself, which I found impossible to do even though I have been using a hair system for years. However, I have known people who find this option a good one if they use clip on hair pieces and once they figure out how to correctly measure their heads, and pick the right color, type, density, and texture of hair they need. They also have to find a good stylist who can do a good job cutting the system in.

7. Bigger companies will require you to sign a contract for service, and None of the three I used offered a refund for cancelling the contract, for client dissatisfaction with their produce or service, including HC. So if you are not sure about getting a hair system, do a lot of research, read reviews, go talk to the actual clients, and if you do decide to try a hair system, buy just one head of hair to see how you like it, or enter into the least expensive, shortest contract they offer before you enter into a long term, more expensive comittment

8. Bigger companies usually will cost more than most individual stylists or buying on line. One company I used cost more than HC, and one cost a little less. And then there is one international company out there that I did not do business with as they wanted to charge me $7, 000 for two heads of custom made hair, which was basically the same wig glued to my head as I had for years. Outrageous. Even more outrageous is that this company said one head of hair would last 3-4 years. BS! I declined to sign that contract and as I was walking out of their office, another woman was walking in who was very angry and she said, I hope you didn't sign up for this rip-off and proceeded to tell me that it took her almost 4 months to get the hair they "custom made" for her, and when she finally got it, it didn't fit and was the wrong color. She told the stylist at the time it was put on, but the stylist told her to call and make an appointment to come back in to fix it. She went back 5 days later for her appointment to fix it, and they told her it would have to be sent back in to be repaird and they wanted to charge her an additional $350.00 to fix it. When she refused to pay for their mistake they told her to leave. She was returning that day to meet with the manager. I don't know what happened to her, but I imagine it wasn't good.

9. After all of my experiences, I chose Hair Club. Hair Club hair quality is average, the hair is not undetectable, it comes up, it wears out, I have to sign a contract which is non-refundable, and it costs me about the same as some people pay for a mortgage each month, but I stayed with them because I found them to be reliable. If I need an appointment to accommodate a special ocassion, or if the hair needs to be fixed, or if I want to change the color, my requests have always been met. My stylist has a great deal of experience handling hair systems and that makes a difference in how well they are applied, how they look and how long they last. Is HC perfect, no way. I think they are overpriced, they exaggerate the quality of their products, and their product is no better than any other system, but HC is the best I have found.

This is just my experience, other people might have a different opinion of HC based on their own experiences. I just urge everyone to do your homework before you sign a contract or give someone a lot of money, and be realistic about what a hair system can actually do.

Comments

• Th
      Apr 05, 2011

This was good information. HC never says that its a lacefront human hair wig they are selling. The commerical is very misleading and it looks like they are offering some kind of actual hair transplant system, when in reality all they are doing is selling you a very expensive wig. I think they need to be more transparent so customers can make an informed decision about what they want to do with their thinning or balding scalp.

• Na
      May 30, 2011

Thanks for posting. My mother in law just signed the contract for HC. We asked them many questions but you helped answer some concerns that I had. I had a feeling this was a little too hood to be true.

• Sh
      Nov 28, 2012

why on earth one should spend enough of a mortgage for a WIG? this is how is done: i found hair club for men and women nothing but rip off, scam... No one need more than 2-3 hair wear per year!! there is catch.requires special care that's all i assure you all. one can easy get away with about $1000.00 a year not even...go on line remember this name HD. is better to have an stylists take your measurements ahead of time if not no worries HD will tell you have is done.
    after a while i feel like a fool to have spent over $18000.00 on hair club for men and women.
    [protected]@yahoo.ca

• Aw
      Jan 16, 2013

This was very helpful! I really appreciate that you took the time to explain your history with hair systems. I had an appointment today. I wanted to believe that it would be as nice as described. However, I told her that I never sign a contract or make a deposit without "sleeping
    on it" and checking out reviews. I am glad that I did and that you have been so helpful. I lost all my hair at age 16 and it never came back in as full or healthy. I have worn wigs or hairpieces for years but never one that required glue or tape because I have allergies. Supposedly the glue she tested on me today didn't cause a reaction but... I think that I will just continue to order online and deal with the less than perfect. There are worse thing for sure. I am married to a wonderful man so it is easier for me to take a more casual attitude than if I were searching for a life partner. I wish all of you the best in everything else in life if you can't have it with a head of hair.

• Sh
      Jan 25, 2013

GOOD FOR YOU LADY. Just stay away from hair club for men and women..also please pass the word around make sure people you know to check all on line sites complains of hair club for men and women..good luck...