Gym Membership / Cancellation not processed

1 Tulsa, OK, United States Review updated:

Golds Gym held my husband to his one year contract even though he was called into active duty. When he stopped paying his monthly dues, his account was handed to a collections agency. When contacted by the agency he paid in full what they were calling to collect to fulfill the one year agreement. He advised the agency he did not want to continue a membership with Golds Gym. The agency said nothing about him needing to contact Golds Gym directly. Two years later he received a call from the same collections agency stating that his contract was not cancelled and he owed another two years worth of monthly dues! When I called corporate headquarters they said that we were responsible for the amount because the collections agency doesn't have the ability to cancel the contract. Why weren't we told that by the agency?!?! And how were we supposed to know that the agency was not a part of Golds Gym?!?! The Golds Gym recovery agent, Jody was unsympathetic and did not even care to listen to all of what I had to say before interrupting me to tell me that it is my husband's responsibility to know the terms of his contract. She continued to say that while over speaking me over and over again. It is hard for me to believe that in fine print on the contract it says, "Our collections agency is not a part of Golds Gym. You must contact Golds Gym directly to cancel your membership." Jody's words were, "You can ask anyone in the company, this is how this is always handled." So this must be a normal occurrence!

Ss
Apr 14, 2014

Comments

• Co
      14th of Apr, 2014

Collection agencies are in the business of collecting unpaid debt. They have nothing to do with the business that sold them the debt.Your contract is with Gold's gym, not the collection agency. You really didn't know this?