Grant Academy / Unauthorized charges on credit card

1 Los Angeles, CA, United States Review updated:

I had four unauthorized charges on my credit card. Three for Grant Academy 00 of 00 and one from grantsearch. No idea how they got my credit card number. One charge for 1.00, one for 1.29, one for 39.95, and one for 7.95!

An

Comments

• Ry
      22nd of Jul, 2008

I apologize for any misunderstanding regarding the services you've been receiving from our company. There are no commitments with the free product. However, there is a bonus free trial period to membership websites that accompanies the free CD and we do our best to disclose this as it is stated 4 times throughout the ordering process - on the sales page, the order page, the confirmation, it is then also explained in the 1st paragraph of the Terms and Conditions of the offer. We offer the trial periods to give our clients a chance to use the service and see the value of it for themselves before they are billed for it. The trial periods are free for 7-30 days from the order date depending on which bonuses apply. We would not have charged you had you called customer service and canceled during the trial period. It is not our desire to bill clients who do not want the membership after the free trial offer. That is why we have the Terms and Disclosures posted on the sales site directly above or below the "Ship My Kit" Button depending on the site you order from.

Here are the Terms and Disclosures that is directly below or above (depending on the site you order from) the "Ship My Kit" Button.

Terms and Disclosures. By clicking "Submit", I am ordering the Grant Master CD™ and trial membership for $1.29 for Shipping and $1.00 for Handling/Insurance, after the 7 day trial I will be charged $39.95 a month thereafter if I do not cancel. I also agree to the 14 day and 21 day bonus trials to Express Business Funding™ and Network Agenda™ for $7.95 a month and $9.95 a month thereafter, should I choose not to cancel. I have read and agree to the Privacy Policy & Terms & Conditions. Charges will appear on credit/debit statements as "Easgrant1". For questions, call 800-479-0979.

For customer service you may call 800-479-0979 and they'll be happy to assist you.

The Information on our Grant Master CD is general information that you can find for free on the internet. We have gathered the information and put it on an easy to access and navigate CD for your PC. This saves our clients the time and let’s face it frustration of having to search out this information on their own. That is why our Grant Master CD is free and you only pay $2.29 for the Shipping and Handling. Along with the Grant Master CD you receive a 7 day free trial to our Grant Resource Center. This is our members website were you will be able to learn the entire process on how to write and submit a grant proposal. It is easy to start utilizing the Grant Resource Center by simply watching the tutorial videos that explain how to access all of the features on the site. Our team of writers headed by acclaimed Grant expert Dr. Porter provides a monthly cover story that provides the newest information on grants and grant related topics. We also provide a quarterly news letter that provides in-depth information on current trends in government and private funding. As well as the latest financial advice on how to find and manage grant money. You will be able to search grants through multiple grant sources. You can search for Federal, State, and Private Grants you can also search for Scholarships. Another exclusive feature of our Grant Resource center is that you can enroll in the Grant A Day program where a Grant is given out daily. In three easy steps you can apply for the Grant a Day program and you will be eligible for it as long as you are a member of the Grant Resource Center. Here is the link to our testimonials site http://members.ravenmediainc.com/granttestimonials/ were you can read what some of our successful clients had to say about our program. Another feature we offer is our live one on one chat representatives. They are available to answer any questions you have along the way. All these features and more are designed to help you be successful in locating, applying for, and receiving a grant. The information that is offered through the Grant Resource Center website is more extensive than what other companies sell in coaching programs that cost a thousand dollars or more. So we feel that we are offering our clients the best value in the industry. We offer all this for a reasonable monthly fee of $39.95. Ordering our Grant Master CD also includes two fast action bonuses. The first fast action bonus is for Express Business Funding (EBF) which has a 14 day free trial. This program is designed to help customers through each step necessary to obtain a loan for a small business. This includes researching and putting together a business plan, presenting that plan to the SBA, filling out a loan application, and anything else that may be needed along the way. After the trial period, it is a reduced monthly membership fee of $7.95 because you are already a member of another of our programs. The second fast action bonus is a 21 day free trial for Network Agenda an affiliate company. That offers an online date book service that will allow you to keep track of your daily schedule and will even send you reminders to your email and or cell phone. After the 21 day free trial the service is $9.95 a month membership fee. We offer these trial periods to give our clients a chance to use our service and see the value of it for themselves before they are billed for it.

If you are another customer reading this and you can contact our customer service department at 800-479-0979 and they will be happy to assist you. If you've already tried our customer service department and feel like you weren't treated fairly please contact me ASAP and I will address your concern immediately. Please email me at ryanr@wskc.org or call me directly at 435-773-1795 and I would be happy to address your concerns ASAP.

Sincerely,
    Ryan R.

23rd of Jul, 2008

Sorry Ryan - but your explanation is untrue... I have never seen your web site, never seen a pop up from your company, never ordered anything from your companay, never gave my debit card number to your company or through your web site. This is a scam and you will be shut down. Shame on you!!!

• Je
      23rd of Jul, 2008

I had a $1.99 charge from "Grant Academy" show up on my BofA CC on 7/22/08. I have NEVER purchased ANYTHING from them, given my CC, etc. WHAT A SCAM!
    I did, however, purhase from ITUNES on 7/21- could this be related?

• St
      24th of Jul, 2008

We had the same thing happen to us. We had a charge on July 9th for 39.95 the same day we bought from itunes. 7 days later we had another charge for 7.95 from Grant Search. We also had never used this service or visited this website. I am through with itunes until they resolve their unsecure streaming connection.

• Th
      28th of Jul, 2008

Same thing happened to me. Credit card company (Wells Fargo) called me about fraudulent transactions. Had one for $1.99 to Grant Academy. Never heard of them or any of their goofy products before either.

• Pa
      29th of Jul, 2008

For those of you not being helped, there was a posting earlier that listed agencies you could complain to:

Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) (connects with FBI)
    www.ic3.gov/preventiontips.aspx

Better Business Bureau Online
    www.bbbonline.org/

Internet Crime Prevention
    www.lapdonline.org/prevent_crime/pdf_view/5326

« NCL’s National Fraud Information Center/Internet Fraud Watch »
    www.fraud.org/

29th of Jul, 2008

I have a charge from Grant Academy. I never went to any website from grant academy or ordered anything having anything to do with grants. I also recieved 2 fraudulent charges from APL*ITunes and 2 fraudulent charges from SKYPE.com and WWW.SKYPE.COM. I don't even own an IPod, and I have no use for the services/product offered by Skype.com. I never ordered anything related to any of these charges.
    My bank refunded my money for the charges by APL*ITunes and the SKYPE charges without my having to dispute them, but the Grant Academy charge is still there.

The only things I have used my card for in the past 2 months is buying something from Petco, returning something to Petco, and using paypal.
    I have never EVER used my card on shady websites, or given out my information to anybody or any website that is not well known and reputable. My bank told me that I must have given it out to some site like "Find your classmates" or something. I'm not that stupid, and I resent the implication that I am.

I hope my story lets people know that these charges are not coming from stupidity. I am very careful who I order things from and I'm very careful with reading things when I give out my card info.

• Rn
      5th of Aug, 2008

My husband just showed me our MC bill and asked about the above described charges and we had the identical 5 (Grant Academy $1.29, Google Money Profit $1.00, Grant Academy $39.95., Grant Search $7.95 and NM-AC $9.95). Neither he nor I had gone to any websites regarding any of these things. We certainly didn't order anything from anyone. We don't use our MC when we order online. The only ITunes I've ever ordered is a gift card for my nephew 11 months ago. We have NO idea how they got our card number and were able to authorize such purchases. We have firewalls and various other protections. This concerns me.

We called our credit card company and they are removing all the bogus charges (oh, and by the way, they said there was one on next months bill for another amount from some other academy!) Which they removed as well, and we canceled that account.

I do hope someone goes after these people, because it is definitely theft and fraud!

• Lw
      13th of Oct, 2008

The more I read, the more I think that most of these people have trojan horse virus's on their computers.
    I scanned and found one froma coupon site that I visited, it asked me to install something to print coupons, turned out to be a trojan horse . Maybe that's how I go the CD from Raven Media and started this whole thing.