Grand Canyon University / disbursement issues

I have been attending gcu (Online) since august 2009. I never had any issues regarding my disbursements until recently when their systems were upgraded. Some upgrade. I have to constantly babysit my own account to make sure things are applied properly and that I receive my funds, which I have to pay back mind you. The first incident that happened involved payment being applied to classes which weren’t to be charged in that quarter. Had I not noticed this, I can’t be certain what would have happened. After weeks of hassling my finance counselor (Who is amazing by the way), the charges were finally removed and I received my disbursement. I realize there is only so much my counselor can do but having to watch every detail of my account is getting tiring and frustrating. I feel like there is no consistency or order to the finance department, period. Again, I have run into an issue involving my disbursement which I was told was supposed to be sent out between week 4 and 6 of my starting class. I am currently in week 4. Now I am told it won’t be received until october because the “system” says so. Again, the “system” has screwed me. There was some sort of issue resulting in another problem with my account. With all these issues of my money being applied sporadically and awkwardly, I question the integrity of the for profit college that is handling it. I’m certainly not comfortable going forward in my studies at this college who I feel mismanages the money that I have to pay back. After this quarter, I am definitely seeking other online colleges that will make me comfortable in my choice to attend.

Comments

•   Aug 31, 2010

Hi AZStudent,

Please contact me directly and I'll be happy to assist you in getting this issue resolved promptly. I apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced to this point.

• Az
      Sep 08, 2010

With the immediate help of Robin and my counselor, my issue was quickly resolved, and for that, I am very appreciative.

• Cl
      Oct 25, 2010

I have started my 2nd class @ GCU and hadn't received any thing either

• Ay
      Nov 17, 2010

As a military student I have been attending Grand Canyon University for almost two years and my experience with Financial Aid has been nothing but a complete nightmare! This current semester I started a new class on October 14th. I noticed that I had been charged the regular rate for my upcoming classes and that my military scholarship had not been applied. After speaking to four different counselors including my own financial advisor and repetitive calling all ensuring me that my scholarship would be applied, needless to say it didn't get applied until the third week after constant complaints. I had a credit issued on my account on the 19th of October. Two weeks rolled by and my account still had not been changed over to a zero balance so I called Finance again and was told that because of the new system things were taking awhile but she assured me that I would receive my disbursement refund within the 14 business day guideline. One of the many lies and misconceptions told by a counselor, how is it even possible to receive my check by the 14th business day which is November 8th if here it is November 4th and my account has not even been cleared out yet! So November 5th I check my account and it is finally a zero balance so I think to myself okay I should be receiving my disbursement check within the next couple of days. I checked the mailbox for an entire week all the way up to November 13th and I still did not have a refund in the mail. I live in California the check is coming from Arizona it shouldn't take a week to receive. On November 15th I called spoke to a finance counselor to find out where my check is and he continuously tried to tell me that it showed in his system that my check was mailed out November 5th. I repeatedly asked him does he doubt my intelligence, if my check was mailed out on the 5th why is it the 15th and my check is still a no show. Once again I was given the run around that mail was just slow because of Veterans day, ok Veterans day was only one day what about the other nine days. The conversation ended with Mrs. if you do not receive your check by the end of the week we can stop payment on it and send you out another. After talking to this representative I called the very next day today, November 16th and spoke to a new counselor and explained to her that what I was told yesterday was unacceptable and that I needed for her to speak to accounting to find out where exactly my check is because there is no way that it was sent out on the 5th. This counselor places me on hold and gets back on the phone and tells me that the person that she needs to speak to in accounting is not in but that she would send her an email to find out where my check is. This representative provided me with her personal line and assured me that she would get this matter resolved and to give her a call in a couple of hours. I spoke to this representative around 8am. I called her back at 1pm and left a message, 3 pm and left a message, and 5 and left a message. Needless to say she never contacted me back. As a result of the finance department being unprofessional and not managing my funds properly, I will be filing a formal complaint with the US Department of Education OIG for misuse and mismanagement of financial aid because I have been more than patient and cooperative with GCU and my matter has yet to be resolved.

• Co
      Nov 17, 2010

good and good luck with your education and THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOU DO FOR OUR COUNTRY

•   Nov 17, 2010

Hi AYB,

Please contact me directly and I'll be happy to assist you any way I can. I can be reached at [protected]@gcu.edu or via phone at [protected] between 9a-5p Mountain time.

I apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced.

• Un
      Dec 01, 2010

same thing is happening to me. i think they do this to wear you down so they can just keep the additional revenue. it is more work to chase them around in the financial department than it is to do the class work.

•   Dec 01, 2010

Hi Unhappynurse,

I apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced.

• De
      Dec 09, 2010

I was interested in attending this college but I have read several complaints that are similar..I don't think I will be attending this college. Thank you, for sharing because this information has helped alot of people about making a decision to attend that college

• El
      Jan 08, 2011

I feel that I am being pushed around by Grand Canyon University as well. I was suppose to receive a Grand Canyon Retention credit . I was told it is a schlorship, it wa a great selling point when they were trying to get me enrolled. Well my first counselor told me I would receive it during my first class. Now he is no where to be found. I started my second class and have emailed my counselor repeately in Nov. I then contacted her and was told it would apply after my second class. Well now I am in my third and she called back to reply to my emails . (keep in mind this was 10 weeks ago). She told me all the funds would be applied this week. Well the week is over and nothing is applies. This school is a rip off ! The tuition is ridiculous and I am thinking of withdrawing. Three different people have told me three different answers at his school ! Get it right or you will start losing students.

•   Jan 10, 2011

Hi elemedustudent,

Please contact me directly at robyn.[protected]@gcu.edu and I'll be happy to assist you with getting this situation resolved. I apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced.

robyn.[protected]@gcu.edu

• El
      Jan 13, 2011

Thank You for your assitance. GCU was helpful and able to resolve the complaint.