Global Ocean Freight / unethical behavior

1 100 NW 82nd Ave., Suite 302-303Plantation, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 954-370-1401

I used this company twice for international relocation. The first time, they relocated my household effects from NJ to France. It took my shipment 2 months longer than projected to arrive. I was careless enough to use them for my return relocation from France to NY. While my first experience with GOF was moderately unpleasant, the second experience was downright horrible.

To begin with, they could not find a local mover to pick up my shipment.--They found a local agent 5 days before I had to board the plane to leave France for good. In the meantime, I had to live with a lot of stress wondering what my options were. Then, they kept sending me extra-low-res versions of customs forms that I had to complete several times over the span of several days, because their customs broker rejected the forms as unreadable. They finally referred me to the US customs web site, because they (the super-duper experienced international shipper!) did not have the right forms. It didn't end there. They billed me $1000 over the contract for extra "demurrage and storage, " because according to them the customs took an extra 5 days to clear my shipment. I paid. Recently, I contacted the port and found out that my shipment took 1 day to clear customs. You make your conclusions... On top of that, they demanded that I pay the extra charge "immediately." I paid the same day via billpay. They came back then next day and said that because the payment was not by wire, they will hold the shipment in storage at an extra cost of $500. I was trying to reason and complain, but the management of GOF maid itself unavailable. It was braizen. They would not take my calls. They are offensive.

My read of Global Ocean Freight is that they are a highly unethical, even criminal operation. Their business model is to attract customers by lowballing competition. The make money by under-delivering and adding imaginary charges. (Case in point, they also charged me for packing materials that I did not use. I managed to fight off that charge because it was stated in the contract that I would pack myself. They said it was in error.)

Dm

Comments

• Cr
      8th of Mar, 2009

Did you fill out a formal complaint and if so where did you fill one out with? I believe GOF has scammed me and I want to talk to the lawyer that handling this case? Please let me know

Thanks