Gevalia Coffee / Charged my account illegally

I obtained a membership with Gevalia last year. I had heard good things and liked their product. Last month they decided to ship me 4 lbs of coffee without authorizing it and charged me $39.95. This charge caused my account to be overdrawn, my rent check and another check was returned NSF and I accumulated over $200.00 in fees. I contacted Gevalia and they returned the $39.95 and $25.00 for fees. The are refusing to correct this matter. I would encourage everyone I know to find another source of coffee. This is a very poor way to do business.

Comments

• Lo
      4th of Feb, 2009

I HAVE BEEN WITH THIS COMPANY FOR A FEW MONTHS, I HAVE ENJOYED THEIR COFFEE'S. BUT THERE SHIPMENTS ARE TO CLOSE TOGETHER. I DO NOT DRINK COFFEE THAT MUCH. I STILL AM USING MY FREE SAMPLES. AND I RECIEVED A SHIPMENT IN DEC. THEN I RECIEVED ONE IN JAN. I JUST PUT ON THE BOX RETURN TO SENDER.SO FAR NO PROBLEMS. MY COFFEE POT IS THE BEST. IT IS BETTER THEN THE ONES THAT YOU BUY MACY'S, KOHLS, J.C. PENNYS, SEARS GET MY DRIFT.

• Pe
      6th of Feb, 2009

I have been trying to cancel my membership in the Gevalia coffee club for over a year. They still send their shipments and charge my credit card. When you call they tell you they will credit your account. But instead of credit they send more coffee and another charge. I have not been able to get one single person on the phone who cancel the shipments or cancel my membership.

5th of Nov, 2009

I just happened to check my bank statement and I have a POS for Gevalia for $14.95. This is the third unauthorized charge to my checking account within five days, from different companies. I attempted to call the company, but it was too late to talk to a representative. Since I don’t have an account number and my phone number does not match their records, I was unable to use the automated system. Moreover, I don’t even drink coffee. I am not very happy!

• Ca
      24th of Mar, 2010

I canceled my membership months ago, now i get a e-mail that they are shipping to me again, do not send it or bill me, why don;t they take care of business?

• Su
      27th of Mar, 2010

Same thing has happen to me, did not order and was not even call to see if I wanted this coffee.GEVALIA ROYAL VINTER They took the money out of my account without being authorized.What can we do about this company doing this .I call them and told them I Did not ok this order, and I would send it back and my moey should be credited to my account $41.75 is a large amount of money when you live on a fix income.They should be put out of bussness.

• Ke
      19th of May, 2010

This company is a sham! I thought I had ordered a simple $3 sample order of coffee, no shipping and handling fee. They delivered my sample, charged my card $3 and then sent me an email telling me they would send me coffee every month automatically and charge my account automatically. I called to cancel my account, and they said they did so. Then, about a month later, I recieved another email telling me my shipment was scheduled. I thought I cancelled the account, so I called again to cancel. This time they assured me it was now cancelled. If I get another email or charge, I just don't know what to do! BUYER BEWARE!! They do very poor business...

• Da
      11th of Jun, 2010

I'm sorry that I'm not the only complainter. Someone in the finance and payment office must sip too much caffeinne while processing bills. They insisit I owe them for FREE shipping. Their collection agency have been harassing me and I don't like it. I've called and listed my last payment, returned unopened product and cancelled all scheduled shipments. This was done 2009. I will get information as to my rights. I will not pay again. The coffee is good; however there are other companies.

• Ex
      17th of Jun, 2010

I ordered the 3 dollar special and had it shipped to an address, but never received it there, and although it must have been returned to them, they went ahead and sent another shipment to the same address, and billed it, causing an overdraft, and 67 dollars in fees before I could get to the bank and correct it. Note: I never received the first shipment, and yet they sent another shipment to the same address automatically? I just wonder why they would continue to send shipments which aren't being received to an address that no one accepted the orders at. When I informed them of this, they corrected it and said they resent the 3 dollar order to a new address
    *(hasn't arrived yet, 2weeks), refunded 35.85 for the second order, and rescheduled the next automatic shipment .. Note**: If customer hasn't received shipment, its impossible to check the account number, therefore its difficult to contact customer service with any updated information, etc... Questions, when no one was there to receive shipment, why didn't Gevalia either cancel outright, or contact my email to inform me shipment was returned, and why did they automatically assume it was a proper business practice to set their own automatic shipment dates for next order? This caused me 67 dollars in overdraft charges, and I still didn't see a refund for the 3 dollars, nor have I seen the coffee. Apparently they're trying a new tactic of sending the special deals slowly and giving customer very little time to schedule their next shipment, or slam mailing automatic shipments... Ive bought hundreds and hundreds of dollars of items from them and never had a problem until now, and they got me good this time. I wish I could get 25 dollars back like that other person did, at least that would eliminate some of the sting from this thing. Also: don't ever change addresses or sell a property while you're waiting, because apparently the companies have the upper hand, and bosses are telling workers to take advantage of automatic billing at every turn. Why is the world getting so cutthroat regarding debit cards? Its obviously a good idea to go back to paper check payments like one person commented, because I'm tired of being stung on my debit card. A 3 dollar special turned into a nightmare fast on me.. I take the responsibility and I pay everyone back when mistakes happen, but for the life of me I cant figure out how this progressed without my knowledge or consent... Gevalia, next time let me receive the first offer first, or cancel it outright, nothing is that automatic, and things do change sometimes.. when I tried to contact customer service it required an account number, which I had never received. I regret not calling sooner, but I was ignorant to the policies of what I had felt was a good company. I thought it would be worked out by redirecting the package via a small amount of communications upon the package being not received by order maker, but I'm sure I'm just stupid now.

• Cl
      12th of Jul, 2010

I suspended my coffee deliveries in June, but Gevalia shipped product and charged my account anyway causing an overdraft. I have been back and forth with Gevalia Customer Service - they supposedly have issued a credit, but that will do me no good since another debit is going to be posted before their credit posts and will cost me in overdraft charges - and Gevalia did not offer to cover my overdraft fees. I am disabled and on a very limited fixed income, and Gevalia was the one little luxury I allowed myself from time to time. This is the second time Gevalia has done this to me and the last. I have repeatedly told them to cancel, close, delete my account and send me verification via e-mail, but customer service sent me back an e-mail stating that they would keep my account file open so I can order one-time only shipments in the future. What do these people not understand about the words "CANCEL, CLOSE, DELETE MY ACCOUNT? This is ridiculous!! Also, it was quite obvious by the cavalier and dismissive tones of their e-mails to me that Gevalia just really does not care anything about the problems it has caused me and other customers with their bad-faith business practices. I have filed complaints with the FTC and BBB, and suggest that everyone else do the same. Further, since Gevalia is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Kraft Foods, I am sending my complaint to Kraft Foods, as well.

• Ka
      25th of Sep, 2010

I canceled my Gevalia membership through their website shortly after receiving my 3 boxes of coffee. My account stated I was no longer subscribed for automatic shipments.

However, they did not cancel my membership. I have received another order of coffee and was charged $33 on my credit card. After placing a complaint, they informed me “We apologize, as you are currently unable to cancel your account online”.

They are unwilling to issue me a full refund for the $33 coffee they mistakenly sent me even though I was willing to return all of it unopened.

This is false advertising on their part. Be warned.

• Am
      17th of Nov, 2010

People, it's time to take organized action. Here's the link to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission FTC. https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ . I encourage everyone to Facebook, tweet, Youtube, post and blog about the hazards of dealing with this company. Let's Web 2.0 their [censor] into the sights of the US Government. This company is out of control and needs to be stopped.
    By the way. I've tried to cancel over 15 times now and they won't stop sending and charging me. They've told me they're sorry, they will cancel my subscription and I won't have to return or pay for the latest shipment, then they still charge me.
    Perhaps some enterprising attorney would take this on as a class action suit.

• Es
      19th of Nov, 2010

I have filed a complaint with the FTC also. https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

I received a shipment of Special Royal Vinter Coffee after having suspended my shipments 1 month ago. My bank account was automatically debited without my authorization; I neither requested this shipment nor received warning of it. The invoice lists my name and address, but a DIFFERENT account number. How is this not fraudulent???

PLEASE FILE YOUR COMPLAINTS!!! Gevalia's business practices are absolutely UNACCEPTABLE.

• Li
      12th of Jan, 2011

I need to cancel my account

• Li
      12th of Jan, 2011

I need to cancel can't drink coffee anymore