GE Refrigerator / General Electric treats its customers with disrespect!

United States Review updated:
I bought a high-end GE refrigerator about a year ago. Shortly after it arrived, it lost all freon. It took a week for GE to send someone to look at it and offer a diagnosis. When the part arrived a month later, it turned out not to address the problem. It turned out that the unit had been dropped on its side and had a broken part in the back. It took another two months for them to finally fix it. We were without a refrigerator for a total of three months, and they had our money already.

I tried to push this process along, but GE didn't even list a phone number or an email address for customer support on their website! When I was able to find a phone number, the people I talked to seemed to neither understand nor care about my problem. It was as if they were incapable of understanding the simplest things, and adopted a defensive attitude to diminish their own responsibility.

Any refrigerator can chill food; what you're really buying is customer service. Unless GE improves their customer service drastically, don't buy their appliances. If something goes wrong, they may take months to fix it.

Given the trend of the times, I presume that the money that should have been spent on warranty service went for jet planes for the top executives. General Electric treats its customers with disrespect, and doesn't deserve your patronage.

A  9th of Mar, 2007 by
The GE Customer Service Staff seem to follow a script and they are incapable of handling any issues/questions deviating from their "responses" or "answers".
A  27th of Mar, 2007 by
Below is the e-mail I sent to GE on Feb. 8th 2007. To date they still have not repaired my Side by Side
Today... The door needed for repair is still back ordered and no ETA is known.

RE Side by Side GE Refrigerator
Serial # VA418917

Extended service contract # 2256276645

Early November 06 I contacted GE as all the food in my refrigerator was freezing,then the filtered water and ice maker stopped working a couple of days later, I was sch. out apx 3 weeks later for repair(just after Thanksgiving 06). The repairman came (Jerry-tech # 168) and repaired the compartment from freezing all our food, but the ice maker and water dispenser was not repairable, a new freezer door was required and was ordered....Or so I thought. On 12/21/06 I contacted GE, NO door had been ordered...they called the repairman, he confirmed (again) the order, I called back to confirm, the confirmation...GE stated it would be apx a MONTH more as it was a back order item...By Jan 18th, NO DOOR...AGAIN I contacted GE, this time my repair date had been cancelled by GE dispatch a few days prior, with no disclosure to me whatsoever. Once more I was put into the ordering hoop that the freezer door was reordered and assured it would arrive apx Feb 1st in Kentucky and then sent to the Los Angeles warehouse and arrive to my home prior to the Feb. 8th appt. that was set for me to complete the repair....NEVER HAPPENED, Yesterday a call was placed to me that the model and serial numbers to my side by side were either lost, or were wrong, (just unbelievable to me) The repairman called me back to reconfirm the numbers he had, and the numbers I had given him from the inside of the refrigerator, and stated to me, they were the same, he was baffled....BUT I WAS DISMAYED, I thought to myself, is this GENERAL ELECTRIC...is this GE - unreal! I have now been put off to a appointment of March 8th. 2007 for the door repair. Believe me, this e-mail is only a brief of what I have had to endure in dealing with GE since November of 2006, I guess to GE, i am a lowly consumer, or at least, thats how I feel I have been treated by GE... I would like my refrigerator repaired, thats all.
A  31st of May, 2007 by
GE service is totally unacceptable. Have a new dryer for two months with a faulty timer - does not cool down or shut off. Have now scheduled my third service call because GE has not sent out the timer. Customer complain totally non-responsive. Will never purchase a GE product again. Product quality is poor and service is even poorer.
A  2nd of Feb, 2008 by
The GE refrigerator, model # GSH25SGPC SS, I purchased is about 2 years old and I have had no problems until the last three months. The water supply in the door stopped working. Someone told me to take a hair dryer and heat the plastic tubing behind the crisper (not too hot so as to melt the tubing). I did this and also blew warm air around the back of the freezer door where the water is dispensed. Nothing happened until about 15 minutes later when it started working. It worked for a few days and stopped again. I have tried turning the air off that flows to the crisper area, tried turning the temperature up in both the refrigerator and freezer to no avail. I then heated all the same areas again and within an hour it stared dispensing water again. The third time I just went in and pushed and pulled on the tubing and about 20 minutes later it started working again. This time it worked for about four days. I have even tried moving food around in both sides with no results. I have household appliance insurance American Home Shield and they said that the water supply is not covered. I am extremely disgusted and unless something changes, this will be my last GE appliance! I have been told by many others that have the same problem that GE told them to buy a new freezer door for $500.00 to fix the problem. Apparently GE did not install enough insulation around the water supply tubing and it keeps freezing. GE tends to turn their back on problems with their products.
A  8th of Feb, 2008 by
I have the dreaded "water dispenser freezes up" problem in my GE fridge. The water dispenser will work fine for a day or two, then we'll get a total freeze in the water line. No water. We turn the fridge off for 4-5 hours (or overnight), and let the water thaw. It's fine for a few more days, then repeat the procedure when it freezes up again.

THIS APPEARS TO BE A KNOWN DESIGN FLAW IN GE REFRIGERATORS. TO DATE, GE HAS FAILED TO FIX IT, THOUGH THERE ARE REPORTS THAT THEY ARE WAIVING SERVICE FEES (BUT NOT PARTS FEES) FOR A REPAIR. I suggest calling GE and complaining. They won't fix it until enough people complain. I also suspect that a class-action lawsuit might be in order.

My parents have a 20 year old fridge with a water dispenser that works just fine, so apparently designing one that works properly is well within the current state of the art. For some reason GE hasn't changed their design, though. I leave it up to the reader to decide why.
N  13th of Jul, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
We have a G.E Profile fridge with the freezer on the bottom. We have had problems with the drain freezing which causes ice build up and freezes the fan and quits working. Every week we have to take the fridge apart and thaw it out. But it keeps re occuring. Looked at it by a repair man but can't be fixed.

STAY AWAY from GE Fridges!!!
A  14th of Mar, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
We too have experienced the frozen water line in the freezer door just this past week. We have own the refrigerator for a little less than 2yrs. now. We too had to use a blow dryer to thaw out the line-- that wasn't easy. I am very disturbed to read about this issue and that it's been around for sometime now. I am going to complain to GE and we'll see what happens.
N  17th of Jun, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
My GE Profile side by side was one of their "top of the line frig". I purchased this frig in Jan '07. In Oct '07, the inside of the frig heated up to 117 degrees. I was in a panic, cause it was sooo hot. I called GE, and they sent someone out under warranty and the repairman said that he thought it was the switch on the door that controls the lights in the interior of the fridge. I thought that was crazy, cause having the lights on the frig could not possible cause it to heat up to that kind of temperatures. Then he showed me that there are 5 appliance bulbs in the interior of this fridge and in that small of a space, if those lights are on overnight (and they probably were, cause it was in the a.m. when I detected the problem) it could certainly heat up to those temperatures. The serviceman changed the switch and the control panel because I also complained of the water dispenser not working periodically. When he left, I told him that this scared me so much (heating up like that), I might just get a new fridge. He told that would be foolish, because he changed just about everything that could go wrong with fridge and that the warranty on what he did starts over again, and I would have a new 5 year warranty on those repairs. I thought "ok...I will keep then". I continued to have problems with the water dispenser not working and then on June 15, 2009, I opened the frig to find the temperature at 60 degrees (same problem). I panicked and immediately call GE to have someone come out and gave them my "Case #" that they gave me and told me to "be sure and refer to this number if you have any more problems". The service representative preceded to tell me that only the parts were under warranty, but I would have to pay a service call and if it was a different problem, I would have to pay for the new parts and service. This is crazy. It's the same problem. The water dispenser is still broken and it is heating up again. ALL THE SAME PROBLEMS!...but I will have to pay. This is ridiculous and I did inform GE that not only will I never buy another GE appliance, I will take every opportunity and forum to discuss the problems I had with their appliance. BEWARE OF GE PRODUCTS!
A  15th of Jul, 2009 by
I agree GE Product Quality has gone to S_ _ _. They have lost any semvlance of Customer Service. Their attitude has been the Customer is ALWAYS wrong and don't honor warranty on defective products. Eventuallythe 1 yr passes and you SOL
A  24th of Jul, 2009 by
I bought a new GE Profile fridge. The door broke off during the installation and dealing with GE to get it fixed has been a nightmare involving two service calls and at least 10 calls to customer service and the GE parts department. Nobody at GE seems to care that my brand new fridge is not working and I can't get a straight answer on when my replacement part will arrive. The first service call resulted in me waiting 5 or 6 days for the wrong part to arrive and then a second service call where the agent requested that the part be overnighted to me. Several nights later, still no part...
A  13th of Aug, 2009 by
Do not buy GE appliances at all. We have a GE refrigerator, a washer, and dryer. We have only had these appliances for three years and our fridge freezes all the food now and the water and ice despenser do not even work. The service repair guys which by the way are very rude and have major attitude problems and try and talk down to you, have come to our house 4 times to try and fix our washer which they fix it temporarily and a couple days later it breaks down again. I am fed up with them and not being able to fix our appliances for another week. Dont buy appliances from them they cause nothing but problems and stress and a deeper hole in your pocket.
N  25th of Jan, 2010 by
GE...they bring good things to life!!! LMAO
A  6th of Jun, 2010 by
My GE refrigerator stopped working after threes years.
Customer relations refuses to reinburse me.

Watch video GE profile refrigerator on fire.