GE Profile Washer & Dryer

Posted:

I will not purchase a GE model appliance again

4.55
I have had many GE appliances in the last 11 years, but after my experience in the last three years I will not purchase a GE model appliance again. A 6-year old dryer started chewing up clothes. When service looked at the unit, they said it is more cost effective to replace than repair. So I did. The Profile washer at 4 1/2 years old, started leaking water and the spin cycle would not work. When I talked to the local dealer, similar advice. Replace rather than repair. The previous washer of 7 years died the same death. I purchased (for the last time) a GE Profile washer and after 7 months, the service Tech was here twice and still could not repair the washer. Same symptoms, leaking water and spin cycle would not work. He now wanted to order a replacement transmission and clutch. Using a laundry mat for 3 weeks with prospects of 7 - 9 days more was not our idea of fun, so I contacted GE's Customer Relations. They said sorry, there is nothing they could do ( or would do). I then called LOWES who promptly said they would replace it. Kudos for them!. Eventhough they did not have this model in stock, they jumped through hoops to get one delivered to my house the next day (no charge). They even installed it !! Now that is going above and beyond.

Maybe GE and A&E service should take a look at LOWES.
Complaint comments Comments (28)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Consumer Electronics

Comments

A  2nd of Feb, 2007 by    +1 Votes
I have a Ge profile washer that is 7 years old. The motor went out last August 2005. Six months after I had the motor repaired, the transmission went out. When this washer was 3 months old, I had to get work done under warranty (the gas dryer was repaired at 6 months old) I will not buy Ge appliances ever again. I am looking for Japanese or Korean appliances this time.
A  3rd of Mar, 2007 by    +1 Votes
My laundry, in plastic buckets in the basement, is molding up! GE is NOT "G.E. Cares"! The service number for this six month old washer should NOT say they care nor "Thank You for Choosing GE".

I will not be purchasing any G.E. appliances for the home we are building. This washer, purchased in August, 2006 was replacement for a heavy duty Maytag that lasted only four years. Won't be buying Maytag, neither.

G.E. has by far worse service than Maytag, Crosely, Kenmore. It has been over two weeks since they were called and they came out with ONLY a pump when I told them it was the pump AND "timer" that were "shot". The repairman was in a hurry to LEAVE after installing only a pump, in order to get home to Indiana across the border from here, He said they make only "eight" service calls a day and he came, leaving for home at 3:30 PM. The service center LIED to us afterwards scheduling someone else to install a timer NEXT Tuesday. When I called to verify that, twice today, THEY had switched the appointment to next THURSDAY.

Our basement had flooded 1 1/2" because of this lowest quality machine filling and draining repeatedly without ever going into the agitate, rinse, spin cycle on any setting. We were away and athe sump pump burned out with flooding because of the Model: WDSR2080DVWW purchased at Lowe's. Lowe's just made good with a cash refund to us yesterday on a defective Whirlpool hot water tank purchased last August, too.

Last Thursday, I agreed to have GE ship overnight express a new timer knowing I could get someone to install it. Of COURSE, they did NOt ship this until "after 12:30 PM"; therefore, the part won't be here until Monday (MAYBE!). The GE service number told me it would take 5 days, anyhow, to get a full replacement of the machine.

Never, never, never a GE appliance of any kind, again. NO. Our new home will have a Asko dishwasher and Bosch washer and dryer. LG is too new, not proven, and my Sister has had nothing but problems with her's. LG's rule of replacement is that you must let their repair person try three different times to repair it. So you suffer, suffer, suffer and THEN much later down the line you get a new machine from them. I've never had a washer, like the GE, that lasted so SHORT (6 months) a time and I've had just a few in my 59 years! Same with the Whirlpool hot water tank, but thanks to the local Lowe's manager making good on it, we are okay. That is the Bradely, Illinois Lowe's. We had already gone to Menard's to purchase a working,GOOD, Richmond 40 gallon tank. This one HEATS the water properly, has a rod that does NOT produce hydrous sulfate smell. But the Lowe's manager offered us an upgraded tank when we returned the old one. He was very nice and UNDERSTOOD, FELT our dilemma. GE does NOT, they don't focus on the customer, just the huge profit they make increased some further by people giving up trying to get a real voice on the phone and get TIMELY service. They are NOT strong on service and don't keep a large enough stable of repairman! They need to quality MANY, MANY more than they do and treat the customer as they would want to be treated. I am disabled to an extent and this has been very, very hard on me physically. I am thankful we did NOT purchase an extended warrantee, as a rotten GE extended warrantee washer would have the complaint go through the same phone prompting system and taking just as long.

I won't know where to start with the laundry PILED high and I mean HIGH. We are OUT of essentials. Do YOU like not having underwear and socks?

BTW, that GE model washer has the CHEAPEST, hardest to grasp knob control-they just have to make it as CHEAP as possible, the little bit more that could be configured into an easier to grip handle! The agitation is way too ROUGH for any clothing, sheets. And the GE pump is too weak (small HP) to pump upwards (as it should) to the hose filter and out the raised laundry tub inside bottom.

Stay away from GE, Maytag. In our earlier days the Norge and Crosley lasted YEARS. The Sears Kenmore usually require two replacements of timers on the new machine, but then they lasted for us 13 years!
A  10th of Jul, 2014 by    +1 Votes
I am a property manager for an apartment community of over 300 units and we have GE washers and dryers. We constantly have incoming work orders on broken dryer knobs. We fix multiple dryer knobs daily, and most usually have to turn around and go back within a few days. Once the knob breaks it continues to come off more frequently until dryer just has to be replaced. These appliances are a huge headache. We are currently looking into a different brand so that we can get rid of these terrible things. Also the washer lines clog easily and cause floods. I would not recommend GE. It does not help that everyone I have spoken to with GE (whether it be a service call or just a general question) is rude and appear inconvenienced to speak with you. Also not knowledgeable about their products. I would not wish the nightmare we are experiencing on anyone.
N  30th of Mar, 2008 by    -1 Votes
I am looking for a washer and dryer right now, I work hard for my money as you guys have I am sure. Thank You for helping us avoid a headache and to be hit in the pocket book. I also would like to mention before anyone buys anything do sit down for awhile and do your homework, you will be glad you did. You should take the time to call a an appliance repair shop before buying the machine you have in mind ask them the history of repairs on the machine, and be sure there is a repair shop in your area. I called a repair shop on a certain brand found out there are NO repairman in my area. The closest on is over 40 miles away. Just for them to show up a service call is $350.00 and up to 2 weeks wait for them to show up. I think NOT!!!
A  7th of Feb, 2008 by    0 Votes
I would never buy another GE FRONT LOAD WASHER AND DRYER AGAIN. (model # dcvh515efown & wcyh626oh1ww )I purchased 12/15/07. Since that time I have nothing but trouble clothes not spinning out and sour smell to clothing. Put queen size comforter in washer and would not spin out. Put comforter in dryer and it scorched it. Had tech out 2 times could not find anything wrong other than USING TOO MUCH DETERGENT!!!!! I was going by the directions set forth in the manual. I do have another tech coming out on Friday, Feb. 11th which I will have to pay for which I am sure he will tell me the same thing.
N  30th of Mar, 2008 by    0 Votes
I purchased a heavy duty stackable ge washer and dryer in spring of 2003. Replacing my whirlpools of 13 years. In may of 2004 my washer quit spinning the clothes. I had a local repair of ge products look at it. They said the computer board was bad it would be cheaper to buy new. Wait warranty. It was covered both part and labor. It took 4 weeks to get the part. I"m happy it's fixed. Until 11 months later the same thing happens, plus the spring in drum broke. This time only parts are covered. Labor not. I tried for a week to get ahold of someone a ge. There were times I was on the phone an hour. I was determined to have someone hear this. It didn't pay off I never could get ahold of anyone at ge. Again 3-4 weeks no washer. It's fixed. Can only happen twice right - wrong. It's was about 1 year to the day the same thing happens again. My repair person felt bad and charged us no labor, yes parts still under warranty. 4 weeks later and could have been a new washer it's fixed. 1 year went by and it's still working it's the extra 6 months that did it. This time the bearings went. About 2 week to get parts from ge parts covered, labor not. I said the next time I'm just buying a new anything but ge. Washer Is fine so far. Now the Dryer is broke. I think you get the point!
N  12th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
In Response To Charles: Basically your choices are appliances from Japan, Korea, or China. DO NOT buy appliances from China. LG is a Korean company that is alright. The best of everything these days comes out of Japan.
A  14th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes
I made the serious mistake of buying a GE Profile washer and dryer. The washer stopped spinning at approx. 6 months old. The dryer stopped turning making a serious sound soon after. The first repairman told me to buy the extra warranty because I would need it with these units. The dryer stopped today for the same reason again. I asked the consumer relations for a new dryer and they told me that the lemon law did not apply to GE brands. What a stupid - - - - -. I am going to contact Lowe's and see if I can get any relief from them. I am probably going to contact my local news group and let them know so they can let put it on the news about the trouble I'm having.

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GE BRAND OF ANYTHING
A  18th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes
GE has by far the Worse appliance repair service
A  4th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
We got into a brand new apartment with brand new GE applicances during September 2007.We are linving in the apartment only since 8 months. I had problems with GE regrigerator and now with GE washer model number: WCVH6260HWW, water is leaking from the bottom of the machine and the rubber casket is broken.
We do not have warranty and now the repair charge would be not less than 300, almost half the price of this wachine machine.

I will never buy GE products.
A  18th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
I too have had nothing but problems with a GE Profile washer (Model WPRB8050D1WW). Purchased the machine 3 years ago. Past December flooded basement due to leaking seal which caused transmission to lock up. Had to replace transmission and motor. Warranty covered parts but not labor. Was March getting repaired due to incompetence of GE service department and their licensed repair contractor. Late June basement flooded again - same problem. Technician replaced transmission and motor. This time GE agreed to cover parts and labor. Washed one loaded and machine was leaking again. Contacted technician and he said outer drum and a couple of rings would have to be replaced. Waiting on parts with laundry piling up. After machine is repaired will donate to Goodwill and purchase LG. Have owned GE products in past but never again.
A  4th of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
I bought a GE profile washer and dryer 2 and 1/2 years ago and the computer board went out of the dryer. I did not get the warranty because it was $149 per year and I thought since I got the higer end appliance from GE, it would last fine for years. I was soooo wrong. The computer board costs $283.00 and to put it in was another $200.00. I had to buy a new dryer. After reading reviews about the washer, I am so upset that I bought GE. It looks like I will be buying a washer soon, too. Thanks GE for ripping me off in a major, major way. May you go out of business soon, even if you are a home-town company. To decieve the American public with junk appliances for large sums of money that do not go the distance - even with minimal use ( I only did three loads a week; I am single and no kids.) is criminal in my opinion.
N  22nd of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes
Our GE Profile washer is less than two years old, under warranty and has not worked for over 4 weeks . The initial problem was that the washer would not spin. Since the first visit by a repairman the motor, transmission, computer board, magnetic switch on the lid (twice) and the vacuum that controls water hight has been replaced. Upon each visit the repair company, A&E, had no parts on the truck, and each part took days to recieve and then additinoal days to schedule the next service call. To say there was not sense of urgency is mild..no one cared. We contacted GE directly with little/no results.

I will never purchase a warranty from GE as they are not honoring thier committment and worse, sold the warranty contract to a third party who cares even less about solving the problem.
A  18th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
Brand, spankin' new GE washer purchased at Sam's Club for my daughter's first apartment. Moved it in today in her 3rd floor apartment only to find out after set up that the spin cycle is not working. Used her moving van which of course we no longer have to use to return. Now how do we get it back to Sam's without a truck. I am furious with this frustrating, ridiculous situation.
N  27th of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes
IMPORTANT NEWS FOR EVERYONE!! To make a long story short do not purchase any type of G.E. Appliances. They are all JUNK. Appliances still break down shortly after being repaired. I've been ripped off enough already with G.E. Also, to think that G.E. uses the slogan "We Bring Good Things To Life" What a JOKE that turns out to be!
N  11th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes
I purchased GE profile washer and dryer, I have been getting a code on it and I was wondering if any one could tell me what it means Er3, if you know please let me know.
N  11th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes
I purchased a profile washer and dryer in January noe my washer give me a code Er3 wanting to know if there is any body that can tell me what this stands for.
N  14th of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes
I also bought a GE profile washing machine I HATE IT!!! From the very first load it was awful. I have to keep hitting spin spin spin to try to get the water out of the clothes. I get water on my floor to top it off. I purchased at PC Richards. Well after I used the machine for the first time I realized what a piece of s*** it is. I called PC RIchards and they said "once its in your house its yours". Kinda interesting since you don't get to try out machines in the stores. I had to have the repairman here after only a few months and the guy told me to tell them to take it back, the whole inside had to be changed. GE said" we only take it back if it CAN"T be fixed" The whole inside had to be changed. Everything can be fixed if you replace everything. It still s**ked after he fixed it. I go to the laudromat now, I can't wash more then 4 pairs of jeans at a time or I get water left in the bottom of my machine and the clothes are soaking wet. NEVER EVER EVER will I EVER buy from PC RIchards or buy a GE appliance again!
N  9th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
Just recently purchased a GE Profile washer and dryer and I am completely dissatisfied. I understand the concept of the HE washers but am think there should be enough water to cover at least the top of your load. My machine also has the Auto Sensing load feature which to me is a joke. I'd rather be able to select my own load size and let the machine fill up that way. I contacted the store I purchased from who directed me to call the warranty people since I have an extended warranty. However, I really don't want it repaired I want it replaced. I sure miss my old machine which was a Kenmore the was purchased in 2001 that never gave me an ounce of trouble versus this crappy machine that was just bought 2 months ago.
A  5th of Dec, 2011 by    0 Votes
Right there with ya. Apparently the Entire GE Profile line is plagued with design flaws. Been trying through the extended service contract for days to get a repair guy out to us for the 4th fail on this washer. What a POS, and the spin cycle is so noisy and vibrational, it's seems DESIGNED to shake the machines to destruction. The utility room is two rooms away and during the spin, I can't hear LED ZEPPELIN in my studio. The thing's been leaking for a week, and on sunday just plain DIED. The company that handles the extended service contracts, CAN'T GET THROUGH GE'S ELECTRONIC DISPATCH SYSTEM, for DAYS. And this is a corporation that paid NO Federal Income tax last year - eternal hate!

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree