Flycell Downloads and PlayPhone Inc. / Unauthorized Mobil Purchases & Downloads

1 Matteson, IL, United States Review updated:

I was reviewing my March 2009 AT&T cellular phone invoice and noticed two(2) monthly subscription charges.
One (1) Subscription-'Digital Content'
Content Provider-'PlayPhone Inc' for $14.99
short code#77888
Type-MT

One (1) Subscription-'Flycell Downloads'
Content Provider-'Flycell' for $19.99
short code#69999
Type-MT

I contacted AT&T and inquired to what these charges were for, the AT&T employee informed me that they were communication charges for two (2) separate subscriptions. I informed her that no one had authorized any subscription orders for our account, she informed me that she would process a cancellation order and credit request, but I would have to pay the full amount of the current invoice and receive a credit for the credited charges on my next invoice.

I informed her I was unhappy with doing this but I would, I then asked how such unauthorized charges could be processed on my AT&T invoice and she informed me that it was probably due to an unanswered text message to this cell phone number, that automaticly processes a subscription if the recipient does not respond to the text message.

I then informed her that there must be some type of marketing connection between ATT&T and these subscription company's and definitely was not happy hearing that this type of senerio could even exist and stated I was would like to cancell my three(3) cell phone accounts also. I asked to speak to some one who was directly affiliated with this marketing operation technique, she then asked me to hold for a moment, she returned and informed me that the credit would be applied within 48 hours and the cancellation and future block would be initiated on all my phones. I thanked her for time and assistance.

This type of marketing procedure is nothing more then "fraudulent sales' and needs to discontinued by AT&T immediately.

Comments

• Mo
      16th of Mar, 2009

I don't know that it has anything to do with AT&T. I was looking at my current month's Sprint activity and there is a charge of $14.99 from "PlayPhone Inc." just like you describe. The person who has that particular phone says she got a text yesterday and she responded with 'stop' which is a common way to stop the random marketing-type texts. I'll try calling Sprint, but I also plan to call the number I found for PlayPhone (866-853-9793) to see what can be done.

• Ka
      16th of Mar, 2009

I don't want this please take it off my phone

• Ka

We Don't Want This!!!

• Lh
      18th of Mar, 2009

The same situation happened with my AT&T account with the subscription charge of $19.99. I was told it might take up to three billing cycles before I get the credit. If AT&T is going to deal with these third party companies then there needs to be some type of protection established. The account is in my name but my daughter who uses the phone is a minor. They need to start thinking twice before they're sued.

• Pa
      6th of Apr, 2009

I absolutely agree. This type of marketing cannot be legal. I've been receiving what I consider "junk" emails on my cell phone and have not paid attention to them other than to delete them. I now have a charge of $19.99 for Flycell Downloads on my cell phone bill. I have "STOP"ped the subscription and will now start on getting the credit. I use AT&T.

• Hr
      9th of Apr, 2009

I agree too. I was looking at my ATT bill for the month of March and i saw a FLYCELL downloads subscription charge for 19.99 which i never accepted too. I even sent a STOP msg when i remember i got this msg for acceptance. But they still charged my account. i need to get this credit from damn ATT guys.

• Tp
      13th of Apr, 2009

I too was looking at my ATT bill and noticed that there was a flycell downloads charge for 19.99. When it started downloading I pressed stop and nothing happened. please take it off my bill and out of my phone

• Db
      15th of Apr, 2009

I also had this happen. A 14.99 change showed up on my bill. When I called AT&T and explained that I did not authorize the charge they immediately credited my account and suggested I put a block on my numbers to prevent this from happening in the future. I give AT&T a A+ in how they handled this. These content providers like playphone should be dealt with harshly by the FTC.

• Wd
      4th of May, 2009

Add us to this PlayPhone scam list. We got hit for $9.99 x 2, plus tax for nine months!!

• Fe
      6th of May, 2009

I also just had this happen to me. I was reviewing my May bill for AT&T and noticed a $19.99 charge for Flycell. I looked them up on the internet and tried to get some answers from them first. They told me that the min. it took me to text back the stop message constituted a subscription and they would not refund the charge. The man I talked to was very rude and told me there were no supervisors available. Ridiculous!!! I then called At&t to see if they could help me. I told them what happened and they refunded the subscription charge and were very helpful. This is ridiculous, there has got to be some BBB that we can report flycell to.

9th of May, 2009

Same here on play phone. i dont remember a getting a text or anything just the charge on my bill. Att took it off no questions asked. Im on a no call list on my land line sure as hell dont want to be aggravated on my cell.

John
    Wildlife photos plus @
    www.wilkersonphotography.com

• Ho
      11th of May, 2009

I just got off the phone with AT&T for the reasons stated above. There was a $14.99 charge from Playphone Inc. At&T took this charge off my bill and won't accept anything else from this company. I hardly ever use my phone for text messages and the only ones I ever get are from At& T.

• Br
      13th of May, 2009

I also was billed by this Flycell - I did not even know what it was. I reviewed my account online since I had done a lot of traveling and wanted to see how my usage was, when it popped up as a charge. AT&T did remove the charge and credited me for this month, where the charge had already been applied. I also now have the lock and pin on the phone where these charges can no longer be placed, however my concern is how did they get the number to begin with and under what authority are they able to place these bogus charges on an AT&T bill. That question was not answered at all, and it should be the main concern of all us. This is beyond an invasion of privacy for the consumer. In my conversation with the AT&T rep, she stated that she handles over 15 calls a day about Flycell - those are just from the consumers who have looked at the bill carefully and questioned the charge. I can't even imagine how many corporate or other accounts this charge is being placed on monthly and paid without any question. There must be some sort way of blocking such a practice, certainly these are not good guys doi9ng this. I was also informed in case anyone wants to know that Flycell is a game - who in the right mind would pay 19.99 a month for a game when they can legally download games from the Itunes store for 99 cents to maybe a max of 9.99 without a monthly charge?

• Re
      22nd of May, 2009

Hi,

I luckily just checked my AT&T bill and noticed a 19.99 charge on my account. I found this site, called AT&T up and they put a block on my phone to prevent this from happening again. I can't believe that they can do this. It's like walking into a car dealership and because you took a brochure you bought the car! Anyway, they refunded me the money within the hour and I should be protected for the future. DAMN Flycell!

• Ph
      10th of Jun, 2009

Same thing. I got this when I followed some stupid "quiz" on Facebook and they asked for my cell number to send me the results. Like an idiot I gave my cell number. I then got a text message saying I would be charged a monthly fee UNLESS I sent back a "stop" message. Which of course I did immediately.

3 weeks late I am reviewing my bill and see the 19.99 charge from Flycell, with a renewal charge set for a week from now. I called them and was told that even though I stopped my account immediately I was still charged. They offered a "courtesy" of the service for free for 2 weeks (!)

When I could finally get past all the "courtesys" they wanted to extend to me and found out I was eligible for a refund, I was told the only way to get it was to send a fax of my iPhone receipt - and make sure it included my phone's serial number and other information!!! WTF???

Where can we complain about these ###s?!?

Hopefully I have luck with ATT tomorrow when I call during business hours...

• Da
      12th of Jun, 2009

Same just happened to me. Never got a text message, when I sent "stop" to 69999 I got a reply saying I don't have a subscription service! AT&T removed it and refund the charge and placed a block so it wont happen again..

15th of Jun, 2009

Hi All,
    I got the same billing for Flycell Downloads @ $9.99 a month. I never even ask for this service. Now time to call AT&T. Grrrrrr! These people.

• Pr
      19th of Jul, 2009

I just found out I've been pick-pocketed the same way: I took a Facebook quiz and had to give info to get the results. I never received a text msg about needing to send "stop". Clearly they don't send that msg consistently, nor do they intend to.

Well, the very nice AT&T rep (Ariana Lozario) refunded my two monthly 'service' charges, each of $14.99, and set me up with the free "purchase blocker".

On my bill PlayPhone gets lumped in with "Credits Adjustments Other Charges". If you wonder if you've been pickpocketed, look for this stuff in the itemization:
    Subscription Name: Digital Content
    Short Code: 77888
    Type: MT
    Content Provider: Playphone Inc.
    ID: 6055

Those Playphone people are criminals and need to be arrested. What can we do to make that happen?

• Se
      23rd of Jul, 2009

I just had a charge from Flycell for 19.99 and AT&T says they can't credit me because it was a mobile download from my phone. Reading this forum I have obviously been lied to because they have given credits to people who have posted above. It really makes me mad and I told them that I was willing to cancel my phone service with them if they did not take it off my bill. Their response was that they were sorry I felt this way and I would have to pay the remainder of my contract to opt out. This is crazy! What a scam!!!

• Me
      30th of Jul, 2009

I just happen to be looking at a recent bill from which our company pays the bill. I had upgraded and was really the only reason i noticed a difference in my cost, but it was substantial, over $100.00 for one bill, so i started to look closer. Turns out after calling the ATT rep we had been paying for flycell for 3 months not having a clue what it even is. I wonder how long we could have paid these charges without noticing had i not upgraded and paid attention to this. It irritates me to no end that these places can get away with this. I am sure that we are not the only ones that try to get bills paid without taking the entire week to look through each invoice.
    Upon noticing this i also decided to start looking at other bills. Low and behold i found several inacurate charges on other bills as well. All total my time spent getting credits back was 9 hours by the time i called and got through all the holds, getting to the right person and automated systems within all different utility companies. Needless to say, i lost money either way. I spent 9 hours of my time where i normally make much more money then i was credited back, however, it is a principal that i believe in that people should not get my hard earned money for nothing! Do they know this and just take advantage of people weighing out the time spent as opposed to time earning more? It is ridiculous! The att rep told me they had a lawsuit in progress so i highly doubt they are in on the whole scam, but who knows how long it will take to get something to block this stuff. If i sifted through each illegal text i get on my phone i would have even more hours lost. I wish people would just learn how to earn an honest living instead of more ways to rip people off.