Feature Films For Families / rip off company

United States Review updated:

My husband ordered movies from this company many years ago, and our daughter enjoyed them. That was over 10 years ago, and she has since moved out on her own. We don't have small children in our home anymore.

When the representative called, I explained this to him, and he assured me that the movies we would order would be movies that adults would enjoy, not just children's movies. I agreed to order some movies; I was not happy with the pressure that ensued to have me buy more and more movies as the call progressed.

When the movies arrived I was extremely disappointed to discover that of the 20 movies sent, only 2 would be not be considered movies for young children. I was upset because I made it quite clear to the caller that I didn't want this, and he sent them anyway.

I have just called today to cancel this order, and was told it would take about 6 weeks to process my refund. We'll see how that goes, but will notify the credit card company just in case there is a problem later on down the line.

If called again I will definitely ask to be taken off their call list, and will explain why in detail.

Comments

Jan 13, 2009

Harassing telemarketing calls.

• Am
      Jan 22, 2009

I was once a faithful customer of Featured Films for Families...About 9-11 years ago, I purchased anywhere from 10-15 movies from them. I really wanted to support their cause. Recently they started calling again. I asked them nicely not to call my home any more and that if I wished to order from them I would do so over the internet. They gave me about a 2 week hiatus. Then the calls started again. Some days twice a day. I called today and spoke to Jesse in customer service and asked to be removed from the calling list. Without asking my name or number he said, "yeah" and hung up on me. I immediately called back to ask for a supervisor...and yes, I got Jesse again. So, I hung up and brought my complaint here.

I will NEVER support Featured Films For Families again.

Amy, Baton Rouge, LA

• Ci
      Feb 11, 2009

I had the same type of harrasement by phone from sales. I reluctantly agreed to order 3 titles he had named. When the shipment arrived, instead of being 2 - 3 movies, I received a box full of 20 plus movies. The same argument insued when called about returning, so I have kept them, although, a few of the movies were the same ones I had ordered when my children were small. As the comment before me, I had ordered from this Company when my children were young, and I do not have any children at home any longer.

Years ago when I had ordered, I never had any problems, but now, I would not recommend them to anyone. I know I now own all of the titles they have.

Cindy, Seattle, WA

• En
      Feb 11, 2009

I got the same calls. I looked them up and called this number and they reportedly took them off there call list. I called this number 1-800-326-4598 the woman was quite polite and efficient. I also ensured my numbers were on the DoNotCall Registry.
    Good Luck.

• Ka
      Feb 23, 2009

This company called me on my cell phone to promote their movies

• Co
      Feb 27, 2009

I don't understand what the problem is. Feature Films for Families is just trying to promote family oriented movies for children and parents around the world. They do this because they believe that children are always being influenced by what is on the television now days. For the first complaint you could have just told the man that you didn't want any films in the first place. Your an adult and should never be "pressured" into buying things. Feature Films is doing great cause and I love their movies. For the second and third comment, I don't understand why your complaining either. They didn't say that your refund would not be processed they simple are a very busy corporation and these things always take time. Especially over the postal service. Stop complaining!

• In
      Mar 04, 2009

To everyone that has had a problem at Feature films,

The biggest problem with communicating over the phone is communicating over the phone. The world of telemarketing, which is unfortunately the category of calling that Feature Films falls into is a very hostile one. I know that Feature Films makes mistakes, I wish it didn't when I see or hear stories like these I am saddened beyond belief because it is not what Feature Films is about.

The goal of Feature Films is simply to provide people with an alternative to what Hollywood produces. Not to say that Hollywood does not produce amazing films that are have great animation, entertaining stories, or even a few moral virtues. But what Feature Films is trying to create is a group of people who are trying to build entertainment that is uplifting and wholesome. A few of my personal favorites are 'The Ghost of Dickens Past', 'Jumping for Joy', and 'The Velveteen Rabbit' which we had a limited release of in the Theaters and tried to market over the phone ( which blew up in our face unfortunately, people just hate anyone calling on the phone anymore ). When I watch these films and many others produced by Feature Films I am uplifted and feel more in touch with my family. They inspire me.

I know that Feature Films also has a 'no means no' policy. Their goal is not to alienate people, though unfortunately it is remarkably easy to do. But I also know that they want to make sure they offer people alternative ways of supporting the cause of producing more films like the aforementioned above. Unfortunately giving people alternative ways of supporting can seem like being insistent to some people ( we all have different levels when we feel pressured ) But believe it or not it is really hard to figure that out for each person, so the company has tried to create a standardized format for talking to people so that at least we are as consistent as possible.

I am so sorry to anyone who feels that we have wronged them, all I can say is we are not trying to. We are only trying to help people understand and accept that their support goes toward producing perhaps not the most entertaining film, or the most technically advanced cinematography in the world but it does produce entertainment that touches lives and helps people learn, or remember what life is all about. I can't even count all the letters from people who, because of the support of people who have bought our films, have had better lives because of it. Thank you all for supporting, I am so sorry you had problems, I hope they are resolved in a timely fashion.

• Vi
      Mar 20, 2009

I ordered movies about 9 years ago, the last one in 2002. I recently started getting calls again on my cell phone
    I told them I was not interesred not to call me again they called 4 more times. Then i recieved in the mail a past due bill dated from 2002. The first time I have recieved one. I have also moved since 2002. They called on my cell phone once again and told me that if I ordered 1 movie they would wipe out the debt I was so mad and explained that I was not going to pay a bill that is dated from 2002 7 years ago I will be sending everthing I have to the attorny general og missouri. They are a scam

• In
      Mar 25, 2009

This is a direct not to "Innocentious": Apparently my wife ordered some films from FFFF years ago and we are on your call list. You have called twice in the past week. During the first call I told "Jeff" that we were no longer interested and he hung up on me. Tonight "Jeff" called again and when I told him to take us off their call list he once again hung up on me. Our phone number is listed on the national DO NOT CALL list, yet you keep calling and will not heed my warning to take us off your call list. ONLY a class action suit and multiple complaints to the DO NOT CALL list agency will stop you jerks, and I intend to log my complaint as soon as I finish this message. You need to be put out of business, whether you think your tactics are defensible or not. Your tactics are nothing more than harassment.
    To all other potential FFFF customers: Definitely, DO NOT do business with these creeps. They are bad news.

• Jj
      Mar 26, 2009

I am a UK resident and once, several years ago, ordered a film from FFFF - never again. I get at least one call a week from them trying to "persuade" me to buy more films. I do not want anything from them ever again, but no matter how many times I explain this, they keep calling. Now, I am afraid, although I consider it very rude, I simply put the phone down when I hear "This is Feature Films for Families".

• Tn
      Apr 08, 2009

THE NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY

REGISTER YOUR HOME OR MOBILE PHONE NUMBER

-or-

FILE A COMPLAINT

• Be
      Apr 21, 2009

Stupid me, I said yes and was instantly and persistantly pressured to buy more. When I politely but firmly replied "No" to each new tactic, I was hung up on. Now I'm getting shipments anyway. I have not opened them, don't intend to, and have no intentions of paying for unsolicited shipments, regardless of the lies written on the sellers records!
    Fool me once...

• To
      May 14, 2009

I ordered films for my Two year old and she is now 15 and some how they got the cell phone number of my Boyfriend! And starte d to call him for me. HOW DID THEY GET HIS CELL PHONE NUMBER!!! They wont stop calling him and it's causing problems in our relationship. He is asking me who this Jesse is!

Jun 05, 2009

I've never bought anything from FFFF but they keep calling me asking for someone else. This has happened at least 10 times, more if you count the times I recognize the number and don't answer (they call from 3-4 different numbers at least). When I say I'm not the person they're looking for, they just hang up.

I did some websearching and noticed how they settled with Verizon for $25, 000 in NJ just this year for unsolicited telemarketing and violating the DNC list. Their web presence is DOMINATED by complaints, just do a quick search yourself to see. It's amazing. I find it kind of funny at this point. They just keep calling, calling, calling, ... and I'll proselytize at every chance, what a slimy telemarketing campaign these people run.

If they are truly trying to do the Lord's work, they took a wrong turn several miles back.

• Nu
      Jun 12, 2009

They just called me on my cell phone from-913-299-9343. they asked if "the lady of the house was available?" I said no shes not, whos calling? he replied with Thank you, bye-bye.

Jun 13, 2009

I just got the same annoying "is the lady of the house was available" call. On my unlisted cell. I told them they had reached THE (my town) POLICE DEPARTMENT!!! I say we bombard them with reverse calls.

• Go
      Jul 30, 2009

I don't understand why people are complaining. Are you adults? Why then are you 'giving in' to peer pressure. Maybe you should watch some of their movies on this topic. Some said they gave in because of the pressure, but next time they will say no. GROW UP. I've been buying from them for 12 years and have never had an issue. I do not always buy. I have rec'd calls, and they respect me.

It is hysterical to read comments from adults saying they gave in and bought movies. My goodness, how old are you? How can we teach our children that no means no when you can't follow the policy?

Aug 01, 2009

For the person who keeps defending this company, this is obviously personal to you. All of these complaints are valid. It is harassment to be called continuously after you have told a company not to. They are being adults and telling FFFF no, but they aren't being listened to. They are having telemarketers hang up on them when they don't give the answer expected. Perhaps you are not really reading the complaints. You are obviously biased and would not admit that the company's telemarketing strategies seem to be offensive and deceitful. I commend you for your wonderful relationship with FFFF for 12 years, but it is not such a pleasant relationship for many other people. I also have had bad dealings with FFFF: they call too much; they don't like to hear 'no'; they hang up when they feel like they have no chance of getting me to order everything they offer; they send videos I never ordered in the first place; and charge me for movies that they said were a free gift with the rest of my purchase. I appreciate the movies and the values they promote (although the company seems to struggle with integrity themselves). Too bad that selling movies takes precedence over the values that they are trying to put forward.

• Nh
      Aug 10, 2009

I was just online trying to contact someone about the harrassing phone calls I have been getting from FFFF. I was a client of FFFF ten years ago. About 6 months ago they started calling me again. I explained that my children were grown and I am NOT interested. They call me 2-3 times a day now. I am SO fed up. How rude and inconsiderate. I was shocked to read so many similar problems with this company. They may have a good cause...but they are destroying their reputaion by harrassing people.

• Su
      Aug 13, 2009

I purchased a number of films from this company when my children were very young. They are now 23 and 26 and like many others here, I recently began getting phone calls again. I, like a previous poster have moved (over 7 years ago) and have a different UNLISTED phone number ... and yet they tracked me down. Quite frankly, that freaked me out. What annoys me about this company is their persistence after repeatedly being told "no". I'm not going to give into them ... but they do really try to tug at the heart strings ... and also use guilt to try to persuade former customers to re up. Also, pay attention to that voice when they call you back (and you know they will) I think that it's actually a recording...which would explain the hang ups.

• Va
      Sep 22, 2009

They started out to promote their false religion (Morman) when that did not work and they got money hungry they changed a little. They just called me again. They call all day every day! They were also sued in MO for teaming up with a company that was supose to be a film critic company.

• Df
      Sep 23, 2009

I like FFFF and their products and I've never had the kind of bad experiences expressed here. I would, however, like to comment on these bad experiences:

To those 'pressured' into buying: doh! say no. hang up. Geez!

To those who get calls and are on the DNC list: Report them here,
    http://www.donotcall.gov, and click on “File a complaint.”

To those who get 'rude' calls: (you) be polite and you'll be able to get enough info to report the rude telemarketer to FFFF--who, I believe, will take corrective action.

To vapor1: although not considered 'false' by millions of people, the correct spelling is Mormon. Furthermore, FFFF isn't affiliated with a particular religious group. If you've got issues with Mormons, attack them directly (elsewhere).

For those, like vapor1, that cite law suits filed as evidence of wrongdoing: anybody can be sued. The bigger the pockets, the more a company is a magnet for allegations--often false. That's the fault of our roll-the-dice-and-get-lucky legal system, not the company's. Indeed, settling out of court isn't an admission of guilt necessarily, but a tacit recognition of the extreme expense that a proper defense would be.

To Felmkes10: I think their objective is to make money producing Family Friendly Films. While that may be "the Lord's work" to some, FFFF isn't a proselytizing organization, but a business.

• Re
      Sep 25, 2009

I have been dealing with FFFF for many years now and I have to admit that their choice of telemarketeers has not been their best decision. I have been in retail for many, many years and when you use a source outside of your company it can adversely affect your company. There were quite a few times that I was harassed by the telemarketeers relentlessly but I continued to refuse and hang up when they wouldn't take no for an answer. I almost stopped ordering movies from them because of this but I called FFFF directly and received polite and helpful assistance. The calls stopped and they didn't call me but once or twice a year. I, like many of you, have had billing issues and call issues but I have had these same problems with many other companies as well because of the telemarketing companies that are used. I believe that the government needs to put more stringent rules and control over these companies so that they don't ruin the reputations of the companies that they are representing. I guess they believe they are untouchable because they get away with it. I still believe in the wholesome movies that they sell and although my children are all grown up now I still like to buy them for my grandchildren. It is funny that no one is suing the telemarketing companies that cause these problems.

• St
      Sep 25, 2009

These people at FFFF don't seem to understand what "Don't call again!" means. Today I called them back and spoke to Traci (ID number 32222; surname refused) who assured me that my number would be placed on the "do not call" list. We'll see what happens, because if they call back, I will report them to the State Police for telephone harassment.

Sep 26, 2009

Fdish, it's plain from poking around on the web and reading peoples' comments on this board that there's something up. Your defense of FFFF sounds like you work for them. You might not, but I don't know what explains the way you refuse to see the validity of the frustration of posters here.

I did get the calls to stop ... went to the FFFF site, found a phone number, navigated the automated system until I was talking to a person, and explained that I have never been a customer. I have also since placed my number on the do no call registry (it was a relatively new number and I hadn't done that yet). But what didn't work was telling the telemarketer who called me that they had the wrong number and that I had never been a customer.

Sep 26, 2009

And the quip about them 'doing the lords work' was valid because their videos and the marketing for their videos have strong religious and moral components. Such a business should want to not be perceived as willing to piss off their customers.

Oct 08, 2009

I bought several DVD's from FFF 11 years ago. Since 2008, it seems like (2x) daily calls, pressure to buy (although as I stated to callers, always a man, no children in home), then, he begins suggesting other children I can give DVD's. " No" doesn't seem to mean "no." Asked several times to be taken off call list. So frustrating and RUDE!

On the reverse side of FFF's invoice is an area requesting referrals (including name, address, phone #, relationship, whose relative/friend and usually home days?. Based on my experience, I would not recommend to others although some of the films are good.
    Why would I want to put someone else in that situation? Could certainly upset a relationship.

• Ca
      Oct 13, 2009

FFF. I bought 2 movies 2 years ago for my niece and nephew. Since that time they call over and over and over and over and over. All days of the week. Any time of the day and well into the night. I'm contacting the California BBB, as well as, our Attorney General's office. I would recommend that NO ONE EVER purchase anything from this company.

My husband is unemployed. I've repeatedly asked FFF to quit calling me. Now it is becoming personal as this is clearly harrassment.

• Aw
      Nov 04, 2009

Stay away from this company or anyone serious about suing them in a class action suit I would be interested. This company had a fire a number of years ago and lost records. So now they are trying to recoop money and they are doing that by using their incomplete records. The say we owe them money but we paid them off and they want me to prove it. This was done by credit card years ago and my credit card vendor has to go into archives to get that information. By law they need to prove that you did not. I have an attorney on standby and will take the ###s head on. I am just waiting for the right phone call to record to start the process.

Like many of you I get the 2-3 calls per day using different numbers and ID tags. We just ignore them. If they had any proof they would of taken us into court by now. They know they do not have a leg to stand on. Thus the harassment calls.

If your serious and are willing to put your money where they mouth is they can be fined 15000 dollars for violating the do not call list. Of course this would require a law suit and trial.

Awn...

• En
      Nov 10, 2009

I ordered a couple of movies a few years ago. My kids were not into them. When they called again, I told them that my kids were not interested in watching those movies. Their response: " How about buying the movies and donating them". These people have an answer for everything! I told them I still was not interested and to take me off their list.
    They kept calling. Then I received a call on a Saturday morning at 7:45am!!!
    I told the guy he had some nerve to call me at such a time and wake me up. I then told him not to ever call me again and hung up.
    Well, that was over a year ago, and those idiots still call me religiously 3 times a day. This has been going on daily now for about two months.
    They use several different numbers from different locations, as per my caller ID. I either don't answer the phone, or hang up on them. It seems to be the same guy calling each time as I recognize the voice. Then that jerk started calling me from his personal phone number.
    You would think they would get the message, but it seems as they are just a bunch of idiots who have nothing better to do than harass people.

• Pe
      Dec 02, 2009

is it tiring to say "no" to telemarketers? it's just two letters. 1-N 2-O=NO. just say no every time you are lazy, not interested or just not into it. easy as that. if still this does not work, change your phone number and on top of that put it on a "DO NOT CALL LIST". if it still not work then all of you are IDIOTS!!!

• 2c
      Dec 03, 2009

I have worked for this company and can tell you it really is a good company. FYI, it is *not* affiliated with any religion. If you simply tell them 'no', they won't keep calling every day. Some customers simply say "she's not here", etc and thus the return calls. The atmosphere in the company is positive and they really are passionate about getting positive entertainment out there for families. If you aren't happy with the calls, you should call their customer service @ 1800-326-4598. They are happy to know what the customer's thoughts/opinions are so that they can change if needed.

My two cents

• Wh
      Jan 19, 2010

When our kids were young, we enjoyed the movies FFFF produced. We have dealt with FFFF for almost ten years, since the last time we purchased a movie. We were late sending our payment in. They failed to update their records and we received "reminder" calls. When I explained this to one of their employees, he looked into it and said he apologized and said he would make sure to clear our account. Now, several years later, we are receiving these "reminder" calls again! They call 2-3 times a day sometimes. I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Based on their business practices I am unable to recommend them to anyone.

• Bi
      Jun 25, 2010

Feature Films for Families is a great company that does what it can to ensure customers are treated with the utmost respect. All requests to be canceled or taken off of the calling list are COMPLETED HONORED. Also as a company FFFF records and monitors employees interactions with customers on a daily basis. Employees found disrespecting customers or doing inappropriate things on the phone are dealt with immediately. Of course the company cannot catch all problems but they do what they can to minimize the number of issues. As for the “recording” spoke about, Feature Films does use a recorded message to communicate with its customers, however a live employee is always on the phone with each customer. The reason some employees use the recording systems is because with a prerecorded message management is able to control what is being said to each customer. If an employee is having a bad day, not feeling well or even if they have speech impediments or heavy accents, the program still allows for customers to get the same clear and concise message each time. Feature Films for Families truly is a great company that provides a needed service to communities across the country. Biased statements like these from a disgruntled former employee should not sway anyone on the good this company is doing for our nation!

• Su
      Jul 21, 2010

This website is such a relief to see. I too have been harrased by these creeps. My children are in their upper 20's. My wife and I did purchase a number of films thru these companies 2o years ago and enjoyed them with our children.

About a year ago, after moving into a new home, we started recieving recieving phone calls from a mechanical voice asking if ABC, ABC being a shortening of my wife's actual name which she has never ever used. Anyway, these phone calls came to my new phone number and I would try to ask a question then the jerk would hang up. Then the idiots called my work office number, which I have no way of knowing how they obtained that number. Absolute phonies, how can an organizaion that claims to believe in and support goodness, honesty, integrity, have someone who harrasses with a computer disguized voice and hangs up over and over.

Stay away from these creeps, they need to go out of business!

• Ky
      Aug 31, 2010

I have purchased many films from these guys over the years. I have also purchased films to donate to our public library as well as given them the films my children had outgrown. My children are now grown, as many of you have stated, but I continue to receive the phone calls every few months. I have not purchased any films in years, but I would if they had an offering in which I was interested. I think they offer a wonderful service.

My advice to others is this: first, when they call, my caller id always shows FFFF. If you don't want to talk to them, don't answer the phone. It's hard to find anyone these days who doesn't have caller id on their phones. If any number comes in that you don't recognize or that is unidentified, don't answer. There is no law that says you must answer the phone when it rings. Let it go to voice mail. A legitimate caller will leave a message; a telemarketer or fundraiser will not.

Second, if you do answer the phone and are not interested (whether it be Feature Films or some other telemarketer), say you are not interested. Should the caller persist, simply tell him or her politely that you have to go and then hang up. I don't understand people who say they are pressured or harassed into buying things they don't want. Take control of your life and your time. Again, there is no law that says you must stay on the phone with a telemarketer just because they won't hang up.

I am not advocating that anyone be rude to telemarketers. They are folks just like us who unfortunately have an awful job that requires them to harrass people. Seriously, I had a friend who did a short stint in telemarketing, and she basically was not allowed to hang up without a commitment. She had a script she had to work off with every possible objection listed out and how to respond. She could go on for hours if she had to. Telemarketers get paid largely for results. So, it is up to you to control the call. This works every single time: "I'm sorry, but I'm not interested, and I have to go. I'm hanging up now. Good bye." Then hang up. You're done.

I understand the frustration with the calls from Feature Films. I feel it as well, but I understand this is what they have to do to be able to continue with their work. But I don't let them steal my time or my money. I don't let any telemarketer do that, and neither should you. If you are being harrassed and are buying things you don't want, it's your fault. I'm sorry, but it's true. You're all adults; you know how to hang up a phone.

• Lo
      Sep 14, 2010

Its a fraud. The owner has several girlfriends and his wife doesn't even care.

• Gr
      Dec 08, 2010

I ordered my frist FFFF when my grandchild was a toddler. Once or twice a year they call and ask me if I would like to know more on the lastest movie. I have said yes and no and at all times was respected. I love the values in these moves and my now 17 year old grandchild still enjoys even the early films. We will continue to support the efforts to promote clean decent values.

• Mo
      Jan 05, 2011

They called me today. It started off with, "This is not a sales call. We just want to thank you for your past support, blah, blah, blah, and, in fact, this call is being recorded." She then asked if I wanted to still support them. I told her my kids are no longer of the age for their movies and to remove me from the call list. She then asked if they can call once per year to tell me about other ways to support them non-monetarily. I said no. She then said that she was removing me from their call list but asked if all of their past calls to me were welcomed. I told her that not all of them. Then she said that she needs me to press "9" if I agreed. I asked if that was an agreement to be off their call list or that all their calls were welcomed. She repeated that she needed me to press "9" because all their calls were welcomed. I just hung up at that point, went on line, and discovered that they are being sued by Verizon for call violations. Yeez, are they ever some sneaky people! Is that a FFFF value??!

• Jn
      Jan 19, 2011

I have bought movies from FFFF. However, lately we have cut costs. FFFF is calling me 3-4 times a day! Really, is that necessary? This is after I politely explained that we would no longer to be able to purchase their movies. I did beleive in their product until the calls became harassing. I have tried telling them No. However, whoever the caller is does not listen and talks over me. The timing of the calls also irks me as they call my cell phone. They either call late at night when I am getting my children down for bed, early in the morning when we are rushing out of the house, or while I am at work. I have asked, politely, several times to be removed fromt he calling list. However, they have refused to do so. Any further calls are going to be reported to the Attorney General Secretary of State for teh state of Montana. I get the calls from two to three different numbers. THe tactics have turned me off from this company and their products.