ESBI / fraudulent email phone charges

1 NV, United States Review updated:

I was charged on my Embarq phone bill 14.95 for email service from ESBI, which I have never heard of and obviously never signed up for.

Te

Comments

Ka
  16th of Aug, 2008
ESBI - Charges on phones which were not ordered
Florida
www.esbi.ie

I just received my Embarq phone bill and there were $13.24 from ESBI. Contacted Embarq first and they told me I needed to contact ESBI and that they would put the $13.24 on dispute. However, I will be charged late payment fees if I don't pay the bill in total while this in dispute. The Embarq person recommended paying the bill in full until ESBI could provide me a credit for overpayment. This could take 2-3 billing cycles. Talked to ESBI and they said the same thing - that it will take 2-3 billing cycles for these bogus charges to be removed from my bill. Why should I have to pay for charges of services I never ordered - and further be penalized with late fees if I don't pay? I did some research on ESBI and it appears that this is a habit of theirs. When will they be fined or even better, put out of business?

Br
  18th of Sep, 2008

I had the exact same thing happen to me. Cincinnati Bell told me they can remove the charge from this month but cannot automatically remove it from future bills. I assume I will have to call the phone company every month before I pay my bill.

Cincinnati Bell also said their Fraud dept. cannot help. Unbelievable.

I called the number for ESBI on my bill and got a loop of two questions sending me back to the previous question. Their web sight asked questions I refuse to answer to a faudulent company.

Vz
  22nd of Sep, 2008

these charges are being activated by www.usprizedraw.com their IP address is 72.69.87.221!!! hope this is helpful to someone!!!

Va
  13th of Oct, 2008
ESBI - Terrible experience
esbi.ie

Just got the Verizon bill with a $21.35 charge from Internet Bus Advisors, billed thru ESBI!!! for a monthly web hosting service... that would be fine if i had a stinking web site!!! Just filled out a complaint to the FTC. will call VERIZON monday and start screaming!!!

I'm supposed to have a block on my number, from getting Slammed by SPRINT years ago!!! I read about the FTC going after them a few years back, i mean talk about balls!!! to start up again... like i don't have enough stuff to deal with, i have to deal with lying cheating ### too!!!

Will post a update after i get through with verizon...

13th of Oct, 2008

I work for a major telecom company and I constantly get customers who are billed by this and other "3rd party billers" without knowledge or permission. USUALLY this happens when a customer answers an online survey or contest ("Get a free $100 gift card just for taking survey" etc.) and there is usually some sort of disclosure (3 pgs. of fine print that people don't usually read) that says by accepting you will be billed by XYX company for this service. You need to look at your monthly bill very carefully and dispute anything that doesn't look right.

He
  26th of Oct, 2008

The same thing happened to me...I was billed on my At&t bill 14.95 from
ESBI for "EMAIL DISCOUNTS, LLC' phone number of contact:1-800-410-5781.Rep was very rude. I'm reporting them to the Better Business Bureau

27th of Oct, 2008

I work for a major telecom company. Be REALLY careful filling out online "surveys" and entering contests to win "free $100 gift card, iPod, digital camera", etc. These 3rd party billing companies can bill you for various services (email, voicemail, web hosting, long distance plan, etc) through your local phone company. Dispute them immed. and let your phone company know -- they often credit the charges and can help stop the billing. READ your phone bill each month -- if something looks wrong CALL them up and complain/dispute/discuss it. The longer it goes the harder it is to credit the charges and get the 3rd party to stop billing.

27th of Oct, 2008

I work for a major telecom company and I constantly get customers who are billed by this and other "3rd party billers" without knowledge or permission. USUALLY this happens when a customer answers an online survey or contest ("Get a free $100 gift card just for taking survey" etc.) and there is usually some sort of disclosure (3 pgs. of fine print that people don't usually read) that says by accepting you will be billed by XYX company for this service. Let your phone co. know asap, and make sure they back up your dispute.

Ba
  3rd of Nov, 2008

I can't believe this is happening to me too. I have a $29.95 a month charge each month for my business to be listed on the internet; I have no recollection of signing up for this. The billing is from ESBI; who the hell are they??? My wife called and they are not taking this off my bill despite her phone call to request this (which they agreed to do this). I am looking for an address to send the rip off company a certified letter to discontinue this service. I am also sending a letter to:
California Public Utilities Commission
ConsumerAffairs Branch
505 Van Ness Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94102, or at
1-800-649-7570
www.cpuc.ca.gov

And my ATT Busines Telephone billing address. I am ticked off in this financial climate that I am getting this additional charge!!

Sh
  5th of Nov, 2008

I got the same charges from ESBI on my verizon bill. I called 888-296-3724. I was then transfered to another company called "My info Guard" and spoke with Krista. She states the charges were made online through "US prize Draw". The name of the person ordering was not myself or anyone in my family (someone by the name of Robert Defelms if that helps anyone). She states that since the info did not match up she would cancel the service and issue the credit for the september bill. She also advised that it was ready billed to my October bill and that she had already issued a credit for that. She states I would see that in credit on my verizon bill in 1-2 months. I am not holding my breath but done what I can for now. I'll wait and see. Good luck, the fact that anyone can charge your phone account without your permission is unbelievable.

7th of Nov, 2008

Cincinnati Bell has something called "premium text block" that blocks the user from signing up for these services and from you being billed. I added it for jamster and it has worked ever since

Wi
  17th of Nov, 2008

THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME FRONTIER IS OUR PHONE COMPANY IN A MIDDLE TENNESSEE CITY THIS HAS BEEN GOING SINCE NOV OF LAST YR 2007 TO 2008 I HAVE BEEN SICK FOR ABOUT 2 YRS WITH COPD I KNEW MY BILL WAS TO HIGH I WAS GETTING BILLS OVER $300.00 EACH MONTH I SHOULD HAVE CHECHED ON THIS MESS BEFORE NOW I CALLED MY PHONE COMPANY (FRONTIER ) THEY SAID I WOULD HAVE TO WORK THIS OUT WITH THESE OUTLAW COMPAINES. I TOLD FRONTIER PHONE COMPANY THAT THEY NEEDED TO CARE OF THEIR CUSTOMERS I DEMANED THAT THEY GET MY REFUND I TOLD THEM I WAS NOT GOING TO PAY ANY MORE HIGH BILLS. MY BILL AFTER TAXES SHOULD HAVE BEEN $ 92.00 EACH MONTH FRONTIER STOPPED MY SERVICE I DO HAVE A LAND LINE PHONE. PLEASE DO NOT ORDER ANY BUNDLE DEALS.

Kl
  20th of Nov, 2008

I just recieved charges on my bill for My Info Guard and when we called to question Verizon they said that I had signed up for this through www.USprizeDraw.com I have never once been to that site and I am very aware to internet scams. I am extremely upset that I got this charge and that someone out there is using my name.

So
  29th of Nov, 2008

Same thing happened with our phone bill. I'm trying to call the phone # they provide in our AT&T bill, but nobody answers. Does anybody know what kind of action must be taken in order to stop them doing that? I also want to do something in order to make the phone company take the responsabilities for what they charge us. Any help?

Rb
  1st of Feb, 2009

The latest version is for ESBI to bill fax-by-e-mail "services" provided by Network Assurance (mynetworkassurance.com). The domain is registered to: DaData, Inc., 26750 US Hwy 19N
Clearwater, FL 33761 (which can easily be seen using Google Earth for anyone in the area that would like to stop by and deliver a token of their appreciation).

ESBI.com is registered to Billing Concepts, 7411 John Smith Drive, Suite 200, San Antonio, TX 78229 (folks in that area might want to drop by for a "chat").

I had Verizon block 3rd party billing on my account a couple of years ago, but somehow these things have begun appearing again. I will have to have another discussion with Verizon once the real people return to the office on Monday.

BTW, the FTC nailed ESBI for "cramming" telephone bills with false 3rd party charges back in 2001: http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/08/billing3.shtm (I guess the "business" is just too lucrative).

Rb
  1st of Feb, 2009

BTW, you can file your complaint directly with the FTC via this link: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/FTC_Wizard.aspx?Lang=en

Mi
  25th of Feb, 2009
ESBI - Charges on my phone bill
ESBI

I did not order any e-mail through ESBI. I do not expect my phone bill to be charged. I live on a limited income of disability and can not afford extra things that I am not using.

I was charged $16.00 for something I did not even know I had. Is anyone going to reimburse me?

How can companies keep getting away with this? When Embarq supplies me with e-mail why would they let another company charge me?

They also let The Billing Resource charge me for voicemail that they also supply me with and that was another $16.84. What's up with that?

Bi
  12th of Mar, 2009

I received my ATT home phone bill and I saw some charges from a company that I had never heard of, let alone used. So, I decide to call the phone company. But, then I saw the number for the company that billed me, the company’s name is Enhanced Services Billing, Inc (ESBI)1-800-263-0206.
I called and spoke with someone named Jean. Who told me that someone ordered this service and used my fiancé’s e-mail address, but I’m the only one authorized to make changes to my account. And I know my Fiancé would not order the service because, we have the message center in our telephone plan. therefore we in no way needed this service. They took the charges off she said. Just in cause they didn’t I got a confirmation number.

Mi
  27th of Mar, 2009

You can also file a complaint at the FCC online

Cramming is policed by the FCC and the FTC but for separate reasons. File a complaint with both.

Ju
  29th of Apr, 2009

Call your phone company and block any 3rd party billing.