Enbridge / Negligent and Irresponsible

1 Ontario, Canada Review updated:

Adding onto simliar sentiments, I feel that enbridge is an apathetic despot. My personal experience is as follows. Being an average family living in the suburbs we have many bills to manage. Owning a seperate property (other than the one we reside) there are many bills to oversee. Our property had been vacant for several months, According to enbridge, the bills had not been paid for since the months of August-September. For this reason they decided to shut down the heat for the house. The result of this action has been extremely financially crushing. It had taken until early February to realize the effect of enbridges thoughtless actions. The freezing seasonal temperatures had caused virtually all the water pipes in the house to burst thereby ruining all drywall, ceilings, kitchen, bathrooms, basically gutting out the entire home's interior. This has cost an estimated $50, 000 minimum in repair damage (more than some people's yearly salaries)

Firstly, I'd like to state that yes there is partial liability on the client’s part for not managing their bills, however, a huge monopolistic energy company like enbridge should be EXTREMELY responsible for contacting clients to follow up with these bills. It doesn't take anyone of high caliber to understand that a company like enbridge has ample amounts of resources and at least some sort of customer communications system. Gathering from their policies there is no doubt that enbridge collects individual clientele information at a constant rate. With this said, upon contacting enbridge, their response for not reaching us for unpaid bills was that they "tried to contact us". As proof from the above experience, their attempts were obviously unsuccessful which I find absolutely ridiculous. Such “professional” company should have absolutely no excuse in finding ways to reach paying customers. From a business standpoint it would be absurd to not have a means of collecting money for services delivered, especially a company that heavily deals with HUMAN clientele should have NO EXCUSE and NO REASON for not being able to reach a customer. The only type of people I can think of that falls into an “unreachable” category would be those who are convicts, con artists, or basically anyone TRYING TO EVADE payments. Last time I checked, this DOES NOT include normal people who live in one spot, have daily jobs, and are willing to comply to late payments or otherwise. This may be a reflection of how poor the policies or customer service system is in enbridge (which may bring even LARGER ISSUES concerning a MAIN community energy provider). Situations involving people can not be treated as black or white where NECESSARY services are withheld. Especially with long time clientele and unproblematic clientele with decent histories, this mere fact should speak volumes about the reliability of the customer to the patron.

I would also like to add another important issue in specific to my experience. A LARGE company such as enbridge dealing with specific services such as heat CAN NOT admit to ignorance of the DIRE consequences of WITHHOLDING such a utility to a home. Correct me if I am wrong, but it is not new knowledge to know that there would be extremely high risk of many things such as water pipes in a house to burst/become damaged due to freezing temperatures. Any sensible person can realize that these damages ARE SERIOUS and COSTLY. When selling services advantages and disadvantages are always brought up to either entice a customer or scare a customer into purchasing. Tell me HOW a “specialized” and “professional” company can be so negligent in ignoring the IMPORTANCE of heat to a home?! OR if they know full well the consequences, then how can such a people oriented industry not make sure/ put on the highest priority to reach the customer?!

For those wondering, yes there is contemplation in pursuing the issue further, but currently it is tough to individually manage daily business and pursue this matter at the same time. From my experience I’m not sure how many others have gone through the same thing. Looking for possible suggestions or others put in the similar position so that maybe we can do something so that we and those in the future will not be victimized from the unprofessional and irresponsible monopolistic enbridge (or other like companies).

Lc

Comments

• Kr
      5th of Aug, 2010

With the current alleged billing error of Enbridge, I thought of running a reasonability check on my annual gas bill versus my annual hydro bill. Apparently, my household uses gas only for winter heating and hot water; the rest are hydro. It turns out that I am charged 25% more in gas than hydro which I find very suspicious. An error could just be camouflaged of something more deceitful.

• Ta
      26th of Jan, 2011

Called Enbridge after finding out the my furnace had stop running (broke down). Where I live, Monday was -35 and my house got down to 4 degrees, after talking with the service department they only can get me an appointment on Friday. That is 3 days in a house that is freezing, the pipes are even starting to freeze up. I called again to get an earlier appointment but they still say Friday but they put a call out to who ever to see if I can get someone earlier, still waiting for a phone call and my house is still 4 degrees...how can they leave a customer in a house that is only 4 degrees and to top it all off we are on their special plan they have and I still have to wait that long so why should we pay for the plan if we cant get any Emergency service.

• Th
      2nd of Apr, 2013

I do not agree with a depost if they are going to cut you off any ways. If you depost covers you bills up to date they should not be allowed to cut you off. if you bills are up to date . for exmaple by total bils to date are 480.39 as now and the bill is not due until april 17.2013 my depost is 488.46. so i do not owe them any thing . they owe me 8.07 plus late fees .
    the depost covers bills plus i was going to give them 100 on the 17 april so id be ahead of the game and may june july august sept oct . i do not use heat only water wich is about 5o to 70 a month. they can only uswe you depost for year or two i read somewhere. they say i own them how .