Emusic / emusic download rip-off

1 Louisville, KY, United States Review updated:

I got my child a $20 MP3 player for Christmas. This "inexpensive" little stocking stuffer has turned out to be an emusic money pit. Before we could download any of the "50 Free Downloads, " I was required to give my credit card information 'to verify" that I was who I said I was. Beleive me, emusic is not who they say they are...they're deceiptful theaves!
Now, they're charging me $9.95/month. I have tried to contact these scammers over the phone and via the Web site but have been unsuccessful. When I call the phone number appearing on my bank statement, there is a recorded message only, indicating that if I want to cancel my emusic account, I must either send an e-mail or cancel on the Web site. Every time I have attempted to logon the Web site by entering my e-mail address, I receive a message that indicates they do not have my e-mail address on file. However, they have done a great job keeping up with my credit card info and charging my banckcard $9.95 every month. Emusic is anything but "free." What a rip-off!

Comments

Bi
  12th of May, 2008

I have been scamed. Like most complaints it starts with a free down load then they get your cc information and just keep billing rguardless of your efforts to cancel. I have contacted my cc company and they say that the only thing I can do is contest the charges but in the mean time emusic can continue to bill my account. I feel this is criminal and would like to know if there is any thing we can do to stop them and prevent them to doing this to others. I would be willing to join a class action law suit against them if I have backing. e-mail me if interested.
Thanks
Bill

Da
  13th of May, 2008

I would love nothing more than to stop emusic in it's tracks, however I have no clue how to go about that. I ended up calling my bank ( I have a Credit/Debit card)...and telling them to no longer honor the automatic withdrawal ~~it cost me 25 bucks to do so...but I figure it's worth it to get this jerks off my hiney! Al I can say is...lesson learned! and~~~what goes around ~~~comes around~~~the emusic folks are in for a big hurt! I hope they end up losing every penny they've scammed from people...and then some!

Wi
  10th of Jun, 2008

I would gladly join a class action lawsuit against EMusic. They continue to charge my credit card bill on a monthly basis even after confirming that my account is cancelled. I had a good working relationship in the past, but no more.

Mi
  18th of Jun, 2008

I am contacting the VA State Attorney General's office. This company is a scam. I have never downloaded a or listed to a song on this site. I have been charged for at least five month's. I will also contact some news sources. I am retired and lots of time on my hands. I am also go to great lengths to right a wrong.

La
  21st of Mar, 2009

I had the same problem. When I called to cancel AGAIN i was told the account was now closed, but I could receive no compensation for their mistake AND there was NO WAY SHE COULD TRANSFER ME TO ANYONE WITH AUTHORITY. No supervisor was on, not number for corporate, apparently no one owns the damn company according to thief "customer help" - more like victim hot line!

1st of Sep, 2009

Here is the real emusic contact info for customer service.

Nathan Mares

(O): 212-201-9276
(C): 614-589-7003

Mj
  9th of Jun, 2010

Emusic took advantage of the fine print to continue charging for services that were never accessed. I'd happily join a class action lawsuit against them.

Vo
  3rd of Sep, 2013

Concur entirely. I was charged nearly $500 without knowing it. They acknowledge that no one has accessed the account since the week it was created four years ago, yet all they would do is reverse two months charges (or $19.98). I'm going to small claims court over this.

Ke
  27th of Jan, 2014

What is the difference between receiving a monthly gift card and an eMusic account. eMusic takes away the remaining balance at the end of the month (billing) cycle. In Oregon a business gift card cannot have a declining balance. Why can eMusic get away with this in Oregon or any other state for that matter?

--Keeper.Oregon