I have used ebuyer for many years with only the odd problem. But last year I had a package missing from one of my orders, so sent an enote, as it was stated all enote are responded to within 2 working days. After 3 w/days and no reply, I sent a second enote. This was also ignored. So I sent a third and final enote, stating that if they did not respond within the stated time I would accept their ignorance as an agreement on my part. Surprise surprise, they responded, saying that the item was not sent due to insufficient stock and that they have refunded me for the item. At this point I figured it was all sorted. But when doing my accounts recently (7 months after the event) I have found that I never did receive a refund for the missing item, so I have just started chasing them again and will update when I get a reply from them.
On a different note, I ordered some goods recently which were sent by Parcel Force. I received an email from Ebuyer saying my order had been despatched, but after a few days and no delivery I decided to chase it up. When I tried to track my package(s) online I kept receiving a message on the Parcel Force website saying it is not possible to track the consignment. I contacted Ebuyer (0871 number at probably 15p minute) and found myself on hold for some time. I was told that as it was from a satellite warehouse it would be delivered to Ebuyers main warehouse before being forwarded to me (seemed a bit strange, but what do I know!). After a few more days and no delivery, I phoned again. This time I was told they would look into it and phone me back within an hour. Guess what, no call back! So, the next day I phoned again, and was told the same thing, they would phone back. To which I replied, "I was told that yesterday, and nothing happened", to which I was 'promised' I would get a call back. Guess what, no call back (again). So, the next day I again made another call. This time I was getting a little bit stressed and was told to calm down! The cheek of it! I was told this time that Parcel Force had delivered the order some time earlier (before I even made the first call apparantly), and that it had been signed for by me! This was not possible as I was away on business at the time and date of delivery and there was no-one in my house at the time. I asked for a copy of the Proof of Delivery as I was willing to take it to court, so I was put on hold. On resuming the call I was told that there was in fact no signature after all. This is an unbelievably devious thing to try and do. I will be persuing this one for loss of earnings, stress and the cost of my calls, because I have been repeatedly lied to. Will update on this one soon as well.