DR Horton Community / Price Gouging

United States, Texas, Fort Worth Review updated:
DR Horton
Santa Fe Enclave
Fort Worth
My wife and I recently met with a DR Horton representative regarding the purchase of a new home in a gated community being built by DR Horton. Because we were interested in having the house built we provided a list of options we were interested in and asked for pricing. Upon reviewing the prices we were provided for the options we were interested in it was obvious they were grossly inflated. For instance, we wanted to replace the standard hot water heater with a whole-house tankless water heater. We had priced one for our previous house and knew it would cost approximately $1, 000 installed. The price we were quoted by DR Horton was $3, 500. Another option that was grossly inflated was the addition of a third full bathroom. The price we were quoted was $6, 250 for the thrid bathroom consisting of like materials and quality. We calculated the price per square foot for the base model house to be roughly $77.00 / sqft however, when we calculated the price per square foot for the third bathroom it came to $125.00 / sqft. When we asked the DR Horton representative why the prices were so high we were told that's what the computer calculated. We tried to explain that the quote for the tankless water heater was three times the cost to install one in our other house and it didn't make sense why it was so high. The representative told us he didn't want to argue and that is the price. We were also told each additional electrical outlet would be $100.00.

He was one of the most rude and unprofessional people we have ever encountered. He repeatedly cut us off when we were talking and kept shaking his head. At one point he told us we could submit a counter-offer for the options we wanted but he told us it would be rejected.

For anyone looking for a home in the Dallas/Fort Worth area I would strongly recommend avoiding the Santa Fe Enclaves just off of I-35 unless you want to pay three times the price.

A  27th of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
My husband and I also had an upleasant experience with DR Horton in the same community. John was the agent we spoke with and he was very arrogant and condescending. He went so far as to tell us he sold five lots in two weeks and that they don't negociate on prices for upgrades. We were told if we didn't like the price we could buy a house in a different neighborhood.
A  18th of Sep, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Yes...the pricing on the upgrades is extremely high.
sometimes the price ends up so high you can't get the loan completed because you needed these items just to make it a decent house.
the appraisal came back short and the mortgage company siad the house wasn't worth what we were charged.
D  8th of Apr, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I'm pretty sure that all new home builders inflate their upgrade prices. You may want to check some of the other builders around the area and see if the same thing is true.

D.R. Horton Logo D.R. Horton