Disney Movie Club / avoid them, save your peace of mind

I declined a monthly selection. It was sent anyway and they charged my debit card. My other payments started bouncing. I returned the unwanted movie and they took weeks to refund my money. I quit after getting nowhere with their "customer disservice" people and now they have an agency physically threatening me to pay another $53.88. Is this America? I don't think so. AVOID them, save your peace of mind.

Va

Comments

• Ko
      30th of Jul, 2008

OnApril 2008 I have been entrapped by the Disney Movie Club advertisement (http://www.squidoo.com/disney-movie-club).
    Mentioned advertisement promised:
    "How to get 4 Disney movies for $1.99 each at the Disney Movie Club"
    Joint the Disney Movie Club...
    and get latest Disney movie releases at Bargain Prices.
    Having the latest movies delivered to your home is easy. Just sign up, select the 4 movies you'd like to receive for the introductory offer and you're set. From then on, you will receive the latest releases at deeply discounted prices, which means it's a lot better than buying these from the stores or elsewhere. Plus, you won't find as complete a selected of Disney Movies and DVDs anywhere else".
    Walt Disney is very reputable company, so I bought it.
    But unfortunately it was a hundred per cent FALSEHOOD!!!
    In fact as per club "Terms and Conditions" (http://disney.videos.go.com/General/Acquisition/SignUp/Terms),
    The Disney Movie Club begun to force me to:
    " As a Disney Movie Club member, all you need to do is buy 5 movies at regular Club prices in the next 24 months (starting at $19.95 per DVD), plus shipping and processing of $3.95 for the first title in each order, and $1.00 for each additional title in that same order. You may cancel your membership at any time after purchasing the 5 movies. buy 5 DVDs for Regular Club Cost: starting at $19.95".
    In addition, according to club Terms and Conditions:
    "You agree to fulfill your purchase commitment within 24 months of sign-up. If you are unable to meet your commitment within your commitment period, your credit card may be charged for the value of the 4 reduced-priced titles you have received. This amount is dependent upon your initial sign up offer and the format of your introductory movies".
    In other words the true minimal price of the transaction is equal to regular price of 4 DVDs (starting at $19.95 each) plus shipping ($3.99 +$1+$1+$1), plus Applicable sales tax to orders shipped to California and Wisconsin.
    Which means that the true minimal value of the transaction is $79.80 + $7.99 = $87.79 instead of $1.99 x 4 = $7.96.
    Thereby each consumer of the Disney Movie Club has been defrauded to the minimal amount of $79.80 - $7.99 = $71.81!

10th of Aug, 2008

I have been a Disney Movie Club member for a couple years and last year in November they charged my checking account for the purchase of a movie that I never ordered nor received. When I called the Disney Movie club customer service they stated that I had to fax in a copy of the bank statement with the charge and even the person I spoke to agreed that it was their mistake. I waited until April of 2008 when they sent me a movie that I didn't order and decided to keep and sent a copy of my bank statement with the bill. I explained to them that they overcharged me in November and since they didn't refund my bank account I did not owe them for the movie sent in April. At that time I had completed my agreement with the club and requested they close my account. Now I am getting the ever so annoying cards in the mail stating I still have one more purchase to complete my agreement and I have also received another movie after I closed my account of which I also am not going to pay for. Therefore if I owe them money maybe they will get the picture and close the account and leave me alone. My credit is fine and if they think that their minimal little amt of debt will screw up my credit I would have to laugh. Therefore if they are smart they won't send anymore movies because I intend to keep them and not pay for them. I have always been responsible with my bills and never stolen anything but I figure I will fight fire with fire. I suggest they look into their billing practices and do some serious changes. I am a very disatisfied customer and I also work in customer service and know and understand that anytime you call a customer service dept for any company it is documented in the account so they can't tell me that my phone call was not documented.

• Da
      30th of Sep, 2008

Here's the important thing NEVER give them a debit or credit card to hold on file!!
    I too signed up, but I asked to be billed. They sent me my original order, then sent the monthly order card for which I do not waste stamps on returned. They auto ship each months order and I decline receipt. They can't charge me anything since they have nothing on file. After 8 months of this, the correspondence and the movies stopped coming. about 16 months later I get a demand for payment on my contract. I call, they say I never ordered, I say you stopped sending me stuff. They say that I moved and they could no longer contact me. However, the letter for demand they sent me was to the same address that I originally signed up for. I have never moved, been here 8 years. Total bunk. I ask them to extend the contract out since they admit to stopping ALL communication, they say no way.
    They start sending me monthlys again and after 3-7 months I decided there were a few dvds I wanted and I got them on a free shipping and buy one get one. Thus, fulfilling my contract obligation.
    However during these 3-7 months, I would get these threatening letters for demand for payment, which I ignored, since they stopped corresponding with me DURING my contract period.
    They could never charge me anything and as it went, I extended my own contract because I NEVER gave them my card info.

• Fe
      15th of Jan, 2009

I don't know about the other complaints but mine is as follows.
    I joined the Disney Movie Club and got the first selections and tried to pay for them and had NO PHONE number to do so. Then when I tried to pay over the phone it WAS IMPOSSIBLE to do so. It always said that I had to call customer service and had NO NUMBER to do so. Then the account is turned over to a collection agency. I did not order from a collection agency and will NOT PAY THEM, I will pay DISNEY. I have no number to get in touch with Disney to pay my bill and am being charged for movies that I DO NOT HAVE.

• Am
      21st of Jan, 2009

What is this customer service number of which some of you speak? The only number they give is the 800-362-4587, which is automated, and no human is available. I received a movie that I had declined, never opened it, and gave it back to the post office/return to sender. They keep sending me notices, with the last one stating it is from the office of the collection manager. My credit card number is not on file. I sent an email via the website telling them of my situation and that I need someone to contact me. I know the movies that I do want to order to fulfill my contract and would like to do so and be rid of them, and said as much in my email. They have not contacted me in person, only these forms/bills with no way to speak to anyone. Anyone have a contact number for a real person?

• Ge
      29th of Jan, 2009

They are not customer oriented, they want their money. The number now is 1-800-382-4527; they list the web site as disneymovieclub.com but it is actually disneymovieclub.Go.com

• Ga
      1st of Apr, 2009

I am trying to figure out how to quit the disneymovieclub. There web site gives absolutely no info on this. I have sent emails to their "customer service" but get no reply. I have only found a phone with computer voice, no human to talk with. How can I quit them?

Any advice on this? Thanks, gatorgbb

• Ap
      22nd of Jul, 2009

The number you have to call is for their non American customers and rotary phone to actually get to a live person. That number is currently 920 521 4027. I have called it several times because I was the victim of identity theft and someone opened an account with them with my name and card. They told me they would do nothing about this until i had reported the fraud to my credit card company. Having done that, it has still been over a month for my money to be returned to me, and they have continued to attempt to bill my credit card for new orders, and only today, have they closed the account...supposedly. They have no customer service which is noted by their set up.

You cannot contact them at all to file a complaint through their publicly offered number, 1st supervisor I spoke too informed me I was ### out of luck in getting my money back unless I returned movies I never even ordered or received. I honestly doubt they are even part of the Disney cast family, since I have worked for Disney in the past and she could not even direct me to the department above her, stating she was the highest power in the chain.

Over all I feel they are just as bad as the people who stole my card number, in being thieves.

• Bi
      12th of Aug, 2010

The Disney Movie Club (DMC) is committing a serious scam!!!
    They intentionally lure you to join their membership for FREE, and get the first 4 movies at discount. But what they hide from you is that you have to buy their other movies at REGULAR price (over priced, of course) before you can get rid if it.
    This is a generous business idea to reach into people’s wallets!!! I can not believe that Disney, with its reputation, would base its revenue on such a lame business.
    Technically, yeah, DMC is doing nothing wrong. It makes up its own rules, and reach out for you. All you need to do is to fall into their trap. However, as many people have been complaining, this is a serious scam that can catch people out of their guard. Who would think that Disney would set up a trap like this?
    I have cancelled the credit card I used to join the club. DMC didn’t spell out that they would store my credit card information. If everything about the membership itself stays on the edge of a crime, this definitely falls to the other side. All merchandise would ask for your permission to store your credit card information explicitly. But DMC does NOT!
    Well, I think they have great lawyers so they can spell anything legal.
    Anyway, this is the DMC. Shame On You!!!