Direct Energy / Ancore / billing/meter reading

1 Haltom City, TX, United States Review updated:

We received a bill from Direct Energy today for over $900. When I called to speak to a rep. she gave me my meter reading for the past 4 months. All of them were around/averaging 80, 000 except Decembers reading which was almost 800, 00 (over 100, 000 more). We did not have any extra appliances and we didnt even put up Christmas lights or have a Christmas tree. They said that the readings were accurate and put me on hold to call Ancore to verify (Ancore owns the meters). At that, we just moved into our small home in November. We had Direct Energy prior at our apartment and when we moved Direct Energy was suppose to mail us our $250 deposit. We never saw that check they owed us but instead put a credit on our account. When I paid our bill in January it was $193 with a zero balance after the payment cleared. Here I am today wondering how my new bill is over $900. They say this balance is pre-existing from the month of February, the month they credited my account, the month I never received a bill, and the month my meter read almost 800, 000. Thats over 100, 00 more than normal for us. What should I do?

Comments

• Ac
      24th of Feb, 2009

File a complaint and request/demand, a dispute hearing pronto! Bring all your old bills that you can find, and all the canceled checks or money orders that you have. Make them PROVE that their reading for such an exaggerated amount is VALID! If you prove your case and you are correct (which most likely you will be) then tell them you want any refunds due you (if you have any coming) to be paid in full by check not credit! It is YOUR money and you don't have to accept a credit. And let them know that you will be checking the meter yourself and writting down what it actually reads every month from now on and that any future "mistakes" will not be tolerated.If they somehow are proven to be correct (doubtful) then set up a payment arrangment.

• Me
      31st of May, 2009

each month my electric bill comes higher and higher and mos of the tme i'm not even at home to us alot of electricity!