CyberDefender / Rip off - Fake virus Protector

1 Los Angeles, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-378-1285

I purchased this rip off comapany's "Registry Cleaner" and "Early Detection Center" in Spet., 2009. I got a virus and guess what? Cyberdefender wanted to charge me $149 to clean it up. I went to McAfee and the technician did a "taskmaster" and cleaned it up for nothing.

DON'T USE CYBERDEFENDER, DON'T BUY IT AND THE ATTORNEY GENERAL SHOULD BE LOOKING IN TO THIS FAKE OPERATING, RIP OFF CO. FOR LEGAL IMPLICATIONS AND CHARGES!

It is very difficult to get them off your computer once they...and I belive they send the virus to your computer...tell you you have a virus and the computer needs cleaning up...they won't go away. I'm sending a complaint to the Attorney, State of california and see if we can get an investigation going. I WANT MY $44.96 BACK.

Comments

• Cy
      3rd of Mar, 2010

We apologize for the inconvenience you have recently encountered, Mr. Bradley. CyberDefender is committed to providing quality customer satisfaction. We are currently investigating your transaction discrepancy and will contact you in the next several days once our investigation is complete. In the meantime Mr. Bradley, you are welcome to contact us at 866-793-0454 or email us at supportATcyberdefender.com.

• Mi
      4th of Mar, 2010

Cyberdefender ripped me off too! After I paid $70 to download their software, I ran the software and the next thing I know, my hotmail account is hacked and I sent spam and/or viruses to my entire contact list. My computer was then riddled with viruses, etc.

I immediately called and cancelled my account and asked for the $70 to be credited back on my Visa, but the woman I spoke to would NOT listen to me, and would not let me talk to anyone else. She kept telling me that instead of a refund, she would send me a $40 gas card! Yay! I then called my bank and filed a claim against the charge and then cancelled my Visa in case they tried to rip me off some more.

Cyberdefender is completely fradulent and they need to be shut down.

5th of Mar, 2010

CyberDefender Corporation would like to apologize for the difficulty encountered by Mr. Horace Bradley.

After speaking directly to Mr. Bradley, it was determined that Mr. Bradley was under the impression that he was charged $44.96 on 9-26-2009 because he received an email with a new activation code, with a listed price of $44.96. Mr. Bradley actually received an auto generated confirmation receipt with an activation code to replace a previously non-operational code with an auto-generated price of $44.96 that was never charged to his account.

Mr. Bradley has confirmed that he is unable to find a charge from CyberDefender for an additional $44.96 on any of his credit card statements from any date.

With regards to Mr. Bradley’s claim of CyberDefender wanting to charge an additional amount to clean up a virus, our technical support department does offer a Live Help Desk package upgrade which includes 24/7/365 live unlimited technical support on any device and 2 GB of online backup that is not included in the basic package.

We are sorry to hear that Mr. Bradley had to contend with a malware infection, but unfortunately destructive new viruses and malware appear every day, which is why we offer a variety of products and services to suit our consumers’ specific needs.

At any time, our customers are welcome to contact our customer service center at 866-793-0454 or email us at supportATcyberdefender.com.

For details on how to uninstall CyberDefender products please visit: www.cyberdefender/remove

11th of Apr, 2010

Cyber defender is still ripping our company off after a year. They went and helped themselves to $49.98 out of our account! We are contacing a lawyer, what a disgrace!

12th of Apr, 2010

Dear Angie Timberline,

Thank you for contacting CyberDefender's customer service. At any time, any dissatisfied customer can contact our customer service center via email to supportATcyberdefender.com, or via our toll-free number at 866-793-0454.

You can cancel the autorenewal on your Cyberdefender account(s) at any time by entering the email address you used to order at this URL:

CyberDefender notifies all customers by e-mail regarding the subscription renewal process a full week in advance prior to renewing them, and then again three days before renewal. The e-mail reminder offers customers the ability to cancel or opt-out from our database. Customers that do not respond are then billed accordingly.

We would be happy to cancel your account and refund the auto-renewal fee for you, but we do not have the email address you used to place your first order, and there is no customer with the last name of "Timberline" in our customer database.

We were unsuccessful locating your CyberDefender account using the information you provided. Please keep in mind that if you purchased our product through a 3rd party company (such as RegNow) we will not have record of your account in our system. You will need to contact that 3rd party company for further assistance.

If you are confident you purchased the product directly off our website, please reply with the following minimum information to help us locate your account:

- First and last name used to purchase CyberDefender
    - E-mail address used to purchase CyberDefender
    - Your mailing address entered when purchasing CyberDefender
    - The product(s) name purchased
    - The date purchased
    - Activation Code for the software purchased if available
    - Order Number if available

Upon receiving your reply with this information we should hopefully be able to locate your account.

CyberDefender Customer Support

• Lu
      14th of Apr, 2010

I want to immediately cancel this account. I just tonight purchased this ridiculous program and have scanned it all night long only to keep getting errors. They told me also that "my activation code did not work" and when I call the number they tell me that I should buy the upgrade to fix all of the errors I have for almost $400!! I agreed to the $40 and they charged me $84.90!!! I want a refund now--money back guarantee. Here's the info: Order #b5973b12-98a4-102d-bd22 purchased tonight 4/13/2010. LuAnn Mastrangelo

14th of Apr, 2010

I invite you to contact CyberDefender’s Billing departing at (866) 793-0454 and select option 5 to speak with an Agent who can assist you in reconciling your account. Support is available 7 days a week.

15th of Apr, 2010

Dear LuAnn Mastrangelo,

Cyberdefender Corporation would like to thank you for taking the time to call us and allow us to assist you. We hope that your impressions of our customer service were favorable, and we look forward to continuing to work with you in the future.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Cyberdefender Customer Service

• Lu
      19th of Apr, 2010

Why are you thanking me for calling you when I have not called you and have not even seen your response till just now? I am still awaiting my refund. I immediately uninstalled your software from my computer and want a complete refund. LuAnn Mastrangelo

22nd of Apr, 2010

Dear LuAnn Mastrangelo,

Thank you for contacting CyberDefender's customer service.

We value your business and hate to see you go. We encourage you to save our website www.cyberdefender.com should you reconsider purchasing security software to protect your computer in the future. After canceling your account your computer will no longer be protected from dangerous Spyware, Adware, or Malicious Software.

A refund in the amount of $84.90 was issued today. Refunds can sometimes take 1-2 billing cycles, depending on the issuing bank, before they appear on your credit card statement.

Also, our company's gift rebate cards are offered on the condition that the customer continue the subscription. As you have declined to continue your subscription, that offer was rendered null and void. As you have chosen to cancel your subscription, the gift card offer cannot be honored, as it is not economically feasible for our company to give free gifts to departing customers.

For details on how to uninstall CyberDefender products please visit: http://www.cyberdefender.com/remove.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any further assistance.

CyberDefender Customer Service

22nd of May, 2010

CyberDefender Corp. is in business for one purpose only...To scam you out of your money for their worthless piece of [censor] spyware and malware.

You can take a brand new computer that has never been on the internet before and let them scan it and they will find over 1000 "bad" things wrong, that incidentally, they had just installed when you allowed them to scan your computer for spyware, malware, etc.

You will be VERY sorry if you have ANYTHING to do with these son-of-[censor]es!!!

• Bl
      24th of May, 2010

Wow, you just sound like a crank with a mad-on against ANY business that advertises in the media, as your MANY, often-repeated rants on the subject would prove!

Let's see, what have you posted so far...

You post this same silly rant over and over and over and over and OVER again.

Plus I find it hard to believe that some antivirus company has actually WRONGED YOU!!! so bad that you'd actually want to assault its employees.
    "I would like to hear of some one going to their offices and sending them to the hospital in VERY serious condition...Now that would be worth $40.00, wouldn't it?"

So far you hate the Cash4Gold people, the Acaiberry people... You really need to quit quaffin' that ol' hate-o-rade, Charlie. Either that or quit using the name of my favorite Peanuts character. :-P

25th of May, 2010

On behalf of CyberDefender Corporation, we apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered with our products and services. We are dedicated to giving our customers an optimum experience, and would be happy to work with you to solve any difficulties with your refund. Please feel free to contact our corporate headquarters at 866-793-0454 or email us at supportATcyberdefender.com.

• Ka
      13th of Aug, 2010

I went over all BlueMondays posts and in all his 21 post he defends CyberDefender and MyCleanPC and both are scam. BlueMondays is an oblivious shill.

• Ka
      13th of Aug, 2010

dont care

• Pl
      17th of Jan, 2011

My name is Marian Thompson. I too have been ripped off by this company and on hold for almost 3 hours!!! I want my money back for the virus scan crap that was 74 dollars and thee 199 a month for the PREMIUM service!!! do not buy this do not install it they are a bunch of salesmen looking for all of your money!!!

• Re
      22nd of Aug, 2011

I purchased CD software and used it last year, then forgot about it. This year when I was charged for the automatic renewal, I called customer service to cancel the subscription and asked that my $ be refunded. The customer service agent didn't give me any grief and immediately cancelled my subscription. In addition I recieved a full refund.

• He
      14th of Mar, 2012

Cyberdefender used to be good but they are a real scam now. I forgot to renew and my CC had been changed so they couldnt "charge" me.. So shortky before renewal a mysterious company started calling me to warn me I was going to get an online virus.
    When I try and call the number back its busy. They called me every day - sometimes 2x a day after renewal. As soon as I past renewal
    they sent the virus and I was blocked from the internet. I called Cyberdefender and they charged me $199 to remove the virus and then a $49 anti - virus program. 24/7 tech support that I had before now was going to be ab additional $240 a year!
    I know they sent that virus.. they are the only ones who have people call to warn it was coming.
    Its stinks, they have really bad consumer reviews now. They used to be highly recomended when they were an Indian run company.
    NYSE has changed everything. Stay away from them.

• Rl
      23rd of Apr, 2012

Cyber Defender is a total rip off. The customer service sucks, and they basically want a credit card on file to charge it when they want. They DID NOT explain this to me so when I noticed they were charging my credit card without authorization for the monthly fee I asked them to remove my CC number. They gladly did it but DID NOT explain that this would cancel my subscription. I assumed they would bill me, never got any notice and my subscription runs out. The very day after my subscription ran out I called to make a payment and they notified me that my subscription was canceled and I had to pay another $200.00 to renew it. REALLY?? I then asked for a manager, the manager tells me when asked why did you guys not explain this to me, he says "its a little grey area we don't usually go over". WHAT? Its like they don't give a crap if their service makes you happy, they don't care if they rip you off. Never again, and I am DEF telling all my friends NOT to use them. I feel very foolish even giving them my money.