[Resolved] Creationwatches.com / overcharging and poor customer service

On 20 July 2015 I placed an order for two Seiko watches, a model SRP645K1 ($185) and model SARZ003 ($205) for a total of $390 excluding shipping.

I then received an email from creationwatches informing me that the SRP645K1 would be sent from Singapore via DHL while the SARZ003 would be sent directly from Japan.

The alarm bells should have started ringing when I checked on my order status on the creationwatches website and noticed that it did not even list any information regarding the SARZ003, but only showed the SRPK645K1 at $390 plus $29 shipping; unfortunately I assumed at the time that the order status would still be updated with correct and complete information.

DHL then sent me a pre-clearance notice regarding the import duties owed and I proceeded with payment of said amount. However, when I took delivery of the watch and looked at the invoice, I noticed that it included the total of $390 for both watches. Being concerned about being charged customs fees again once the second shipment arrives I sent creationwatches an email (as per attached screenshot) giving them a very detailed description of my problem and asking them for a response to three questions.

1. I requested that they update/correct the order status on their website.
2. I requested that they update me on the shipping status of SARZ003.
3 I gave a detailed explanation regarding the invoice and customs duties already paid on the total order, stating that I should not be liable for any further customs fees once the SARZ003 arrived in my country. I asked them to confirm this and advise me.

The response from creationwatches customer care was pathetic, to say the least.

1. Creationwatches didn't bother updating the order status.
2. They confirmed that the order for SARZ003 was still being processed and reiterated that it would be sent directly from Japan.
3. The most important question was completely ignored and left unanswered by them.

On 14 August 2015 I received notification from my local post office that SARZ003 is ready for collection and that, as I feared, I owed $40 in import duties.

I promptly went ahead and completed my review of the transaction on creationwatches.com, as requested by them in an earlier email - which I quote below:

"Poor customer service. My order included two watches which were dispatched separately. I was invoiced for both watches with the first shipment, and then again for one watch with the second shipment which means that I've been overcharged on import duties by $40. I realized the possibility of this happening after receiving the first shipment and looking at the invoice but my email query raising my concerns was ignored. I will not be buying from your company again."

Not surprisingly, my review is nowhere to be found on creationwatches.com

Even more ironic is the fact that, while an order is being processed, creationwatches customer care send the customer these friendly little emails thanking the latter for shopping with them, asking for customer feedback, and inviting the customer to contact them with any queries or feedback; but, when put to the test, they become unhelpful and even rude.

I will never buy from this shop again, and I want my experience to serve as a warning to unsuspecting customers out there. Shop from creationwatches.com at your own peril.

Resolution statement

Creation Watches Customer Care's Response, Dec 25, 2016
We are really sorry for the inconvenience caused but we declare your package in SGD if we calculate declare value for both shipment it come approximately same as you paid in USD. Customs charges or import taxes are imposed by the customs of your country for importing the goods from other countries. They are usually the same as Sales Tax or VAT in your country + brokerage fees. Since you buy outside the country you do not pay us the Sales Tax or VAT, however when the goods reach your country the customs might apply this tax on the package. The shipping fees are paid by us but Import duties or taxes are always the responsibility of the buyer. This is clearly mentioned in our Terms and Conditions, shipping information page and also in the FAQ on our website.
Aug 15, 2015