Cox Communicationsinternet cable modem

I needed to update my cable modem and was going to purchase one like I have done for many years in the past. I called Cox to verify what modems were compatible with Cox. The representative I spoke to told me that I could get a rental modem from Cox for free because I had a TV, Internet, Telephone bundle. I was told all I need to do is go to a Cox store to pick one up.

Later, that same date I "chatted" online with a Cox representative to see if I could have the modem mailed to me. Again, I was told to take advantage of the "free" rental modem, I would need to go to a Cox store to pick one up. I saved the online chat via screenshots.

I went to a Cox store and was told they knew nothing about a "free" rental modem offer. I showed the saved screenshots to the in-store Cox representative.See Top 10 Worst Companies in Tucson, AZHe said he would provide me a modem and there would not be any charge to my Cox account. I left with the modem he provided, went home and installed it myself.
I just received my Cox bill and there was a $9.99 charge for an Internet and Telephone Modem Rental. I immediately called Cox Customer Service and was told there was nothing they could do to help me. I was told there was no comments in my customer account to indicate a free modem rental and even if there was the promotion was now over.
I was told I could return the modem to a Cox store and would not be charged for the next month after it is returned.
I will be returning the modem today after work.
It is so sad that Cox representatives, from "on-the-phone" support, to the "chat-online" assistance, to the "in-store" representatives all lie to customers or at least try to do something that is not completely upfront and honest.
Why?