Continental Warranty / Missrepresentation

Very Limited Coverage, and 100% literal interpretation.

I have had Continental Warranty for four years now. Initially told all parts but normal wear items are covered. This is a lie. Sales tactics are deceitful. I said I wanted a bumper to bumper and was promised that the plan I had was the "premier plan" with everything I wanted.

I did a quick review once I got the policy and thought ok with what told. First two claims I was satisfied, not wow, what great coverage, but satisfied, bills broke out about 75% covered parts. I never did read the fine print as it made common sense what they were covering.

The newest claim however, towing was fine but repairs are contested. The company switched attitude from the past. Replacement is with "like" part. That is a used part (alternator). Like to me means OEM/aftermarket. I am very hesitant to use essentially junkyard parts on a BMW even if it is older, 2000 740il.

Further, the "bumper to bumper" was not true. Only the exact listed parts are covered, absolutely nothing else. So a part of the cooling system that controls a covered part is not a covered part.

My advice is to be cautious of any sales representations and never agree to buy until you fully understand what limited coverage is actually provided. Read and know what you are getting and understand they will use the strictest, most literal interpretation possible. Looking back at the old bills, that was consistent with the past.

As to dealing with the claims, up to this one, never had a problem. This one, a much different perspective. Nothing amounting to "bad faith" but I think now that I am near the lose money point for repairs, not the same personality or willingness to work with the repair shop and customer. I don't think they expected the warranty to last this long as I have about 11, 000 miles per year on the car and the warranty was for 50, 000 miles or 5 years.

Shame, because prior I liked and probably would have used on my next car once I get done enjoying foreign countries and worse because I previously actually recommended the company because of the professional experience with them.

I can not continue to recommend and will not repurchase.

Ri

Comments

• Re
      16th of Dec, 2009

I filled a claim for a torque converter yesterday And was told to leave the truck in the shop. I then asked what about my rental they said that they have to approve the claim first to approve a rental so I waiting to see what the out come will be. will post my result once my claim is handle.