ConAgra Foods

Posted:

Popcorn bags can catch on fire

3.7
Conagra Foods
This web site is being put up after a year of frustration, conversations and general disregard for corporate responsibility. Further motivation was provided when they refused to replace my microwave and offered me $30 as a "goodwill" gesture and threatened me with breach of contract/legal action if I disclosed any of this information to anyone. As you can see below, my microwave was ruined by one of ConAgra Foods, Inc. dba Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Microwave Popcorn bags. It caught on fire, turned the inside of my microwave brown and smoked up my house. It was taken outside immediately, extinguished and then thrown in the garbage. Of course the Claims Management Services Company (Sedgewick CMS), which is on retainer with ConAgra Foods, said that I needed to provide the burnt bag to verify my claim. Needless to say that was not possible. I shared with them all of the pertinent information with them, jumped through hoops, sent the other bags with the box, etc. "Their lab" tested it and it popped wonderfully of course.

Mr. Redenbacher was a genius and built an amazing Company through hard work, dedication, continual improvement and a passion for his popcorn. He was growing his own by the age of 12. I am sure Mr. Redenbacher was a very honorable man during his lifetime. If he was still alive there would be no need for this site. He understood customer service.

My beef is with ConAgra Foods who unfortunately bought the Orville Redenbacher Company in 1983. As usual the corporate giant has lost touch with the very consumers that put the company on the map in the first place. All of this could have all been avoided if they had just replaced my microwave. It would have cost a mere $115 dollars. Now this is being released to the media and I am sure that I am not the only person who has had this experience. Please post a blog about your experience.
Complaint comments Comments (25) Complaint country United States Complaint category Food

Comments

A  3rd of Apr, 2015 by    0 Votes
I had a box of O.R.'s light buttery (with built in bag) catch fire and smoke up not only the microwave but also my apartment. Even after removing the popcorn bag and dousing it with cold water in the sink, it kept smoldering for more than 6 minutes. I had set the timer to 1 min. and 90 seconds and monitored the microwave the entire time. It was not until I opened the microwave that I saw the smoke and the burned portion of the bag. PEOPLE NEED TO BE WARNED ABOUT THESE BUILT-IN BAG PRODUCTS and O.R. should be class-action sued for providing a product that can not only destroy your microwave in under 2 minutes, but set fire to your kitchen, home etc.
N  24th of Jan, 2015 by    0 Votes
Interesting you'VE experienced problem of micro wave with popcorn. We have brand 'Butterkist' in UK. Tried their microwaveable popcorn Instructions say put on high.. I followed this instruction and watched over for the whole 3 1/2 mins. Started popping and bag expanding. The suddenly bag went flat at about 3 mins 20 secs in. Opened it to find inside plastic 'housing' of door melted. Little or no smoke to notice or any discerning smells. I will complain but no doubt will get sme corporate response- and no doubt apologist similar on line hecklers.
N  21st of Sep, 2014 by    0 Votes
Maybe that's why it was at the Dollar Store to begin with?
N  21st of Sep, 2014 by    0 Votes

ConAgra Foods - did not get quantity of product
frances allen
331 wilson street
Camp Hill

on sept. 2014 i purchased a box of slim jims from a dollar general store. the box was suppose to carry 4 only had 3 in it apon opening.
N  8th of May, 2014 by    -1 Votes
Just had the same problem with the Orville Redenbacher's popcorn bag catching fire. It was a small one, and I looked at the directions for cooking time. I put it in for 1:25 (the maximum cooking time is 1:30), and stayed in the room. I started smelling smoke about 60 seconds later, so I went to the microwave and stopped it. I found that the bag had been burning, and I had to open the patio door to air out the apartment. I opened the bag to see if there was any salvagable popcorn, but there was a big blackened clump of it in the center of the bag. Disappointing...Just glad it didn't get to flames.
N  13th of Feb, 2014 by    0 Votes
If you go to the Con Agra website, click on the "contact us" button on top right. Then on the left side, click on the "nature of inquiry" and then below it the brand. It will bring you to a page where you can fill in your name, address, etc. and the nature of your complaint. This is your option if they do not answer their phones. Banquet pot pies had a problem a few years ago with bacteria causing sickness but the most obvious problem would be that the people in the store let the frozen pot pies defrost before re-stocking them in the freeer section to be sold. Happens all the time. Pay attention while in the frozen food section of grocery stores and you will see carts loaded with frozen foods just sitting out in the open while the employees try to stock the whole area---or go on break, etc. If you fill in the complaint form they should send you a coupon for at least one free product.
N  13th of Feb, 2014 by    0 Votes

ConAgra Foods - Pot Pies
ConAgra Foods
3656 Collingwood SW
Woming
Phone: 616-249-8676

I Purchased a Turkey and Chicken pot pies from Family Fare on Gezon Parkway and cooked them for dinner they smelled and tasted like MOLD I cannot get phone calls answered and keep getting recorded messages This is not acceptable because the dates of the expiration dates of these Pot Pies is (chicken is JULY 30, 2015) The Turkey pot pies expiration is May 26, 2015) The Number I called is 1-800-595-7010 and it is not a person and will not take OPTIONS so this can be resolved I ate a little bit and so did my wife, I have Diaharra and my wife has a stomach ache and gas. ALL I WANT TO DO IS FIND OUT WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE POT PIES SO OTHERS DON't Get SICK from them. This product is the ONLY Pot Pies THAT WE BUY. The phone number in the phone book also gives Recordings but does not Offer any other Options. I DO HAVE THE COOKED PRODUCT IN CASE THEY ARE NEEDED.
A  2nd of Jan, 2014 by    -1 Votes
I
I haven't had the same problem w/any of the popcorn products...BUT, LAST NITE . MY HUSBAND DECIDED THAT BANQUET FROZEN TURKEY WOULD BE A NICE SUPPER FOR US, AND FAST AND EASY, WELL, IT WAS FAST, IT WAS EASY, , THIN GRAVY POURED ALL OVER EVERYTHING, MICROWAVE AND COUNTER, W/JUST A TINY NUDGE..IT HAD NO TASTE.JUST COLOR..IT WAS NOT WHITE CHICKEN BREAST, LIKE I USED TO FEED MY FAMILY WHEN IT WAS YOUNG..THE SLICES WERE THICKER AND BIGGER AROUND..TASTED DELICIOUS.. BUT WHAT WE TRIED TO HAVE LAST NITE, WAS SOMETING ALL TOGETHER..LITTLE THIN CIRCLES OF, BROWN AND WHITE PROCESSED RUBBER, COULDN'T EVEN PULL IT APART, 2 DOGS TURNED UP THEIR NOSES AT IT..CARDBOARD WOULD OF BEEN MORE TENDER, WE ARE BOTH DISABLED AND ONLY 1 OF US IS RECIEVING A CHECK, AND WE ARE NOT GETTING ANY OTHER RESOURCES, AS IN FOOD STAMPS ETC..SO WE CAN NOT AFFORD TO BE BUYING BAD FOOD, , I USED TO BUY IT ALL THE TIME, AND IT WAS ALWAYS GOOD AND FED MY ENTIRE FAMILY OF 5 YES IT IS CHEAPER THAN MOST OTHERS, BUT IT LOOKS AND TASTES WORSE THAN CHEAP..CONAGRA OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED, TAKING ADVANTAGE OF PERSONS THAT ARE ON A BARELY THERE BUDGET..AND EXPECTING US TO TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT, LIKE IT OR NOT...NO MOR FOR ME, I'M NOT THE DUNCE YOU WISH I WAS, JUST BECAUSE I'M NOT WEALTHY, I HAVE TO LET EVERYONE I KNOW, NOT TO FALL FOR THE PRICE..UNLESS YOU HAVE ALL YOUR TEETH SHARPENED.
N  13th of Dec, 2013 by    -1 Votes
Purchased 45 oz jar of original gourmet popping corn. I always use air popper with popcorn for 30 years, no problem.
I popped this recently purchased popcorn and hard kernels was all in a big bowl. Too many unpopped, I had a full 1/2 cup of OLD MAIDS. Never had this problem before. I will not be purchasing Orville Redenbachers in the future.
N  11th of Oct, 2013 by    -1 Votes
I got nailed to. I have a popcorn button that automatically adjusts the time as needed. Never had any prob's with anything till that last bag of OR natural that 'pops in it's own bowl'. It smelled a lil burnt when I took it out but figured what the heck nd started eating it anyways, I had 1 handful and then gave it to my daughter, came back a lil later to get another handful and my daughter said "NO, DONT EAT THAT STUFF IT HAS MELTED PLASTIC IN IT". So I look in the bag and sure enough the plastic around the heating element in the bag ad melted and so did the grey looking heating element!!! WE CONSUMED THIS CRAP!! The bag was almost completely empty before it was notice by my daughter. I called Con Agra and was told that they had never heard of this so I assumed maybe my microwave had gone bad. But after an internet search I found a CRAPLOAD of other incedents just like ours. Con AGRA Are LIARS!! and at a cost to our health. Just what did we consume here?? I asked for ConAgra to get back to me as to what chemicals/materials are used in the manufacturing process of the heating element in thier bags and was DENIED the info! WE NEED A CLASS ACTION SUIT HERE!!! Our chilodren are suffering and poetentially dying from thier poisonous bags, due to thier inability to provide a safe product.
A  1st of Jan, 2013 by    -1 Votes
I just popped a bag of popcorn and was watching it closely and the bag all of a sudden was black and it had only popped 1.50. I will never ever buy another Con-Agra product of any kind again. They are not listening to their customers and that's telling me they don't care and can't be trusted. I fear for my life now if I eat any food from them that is also altered in anyway. This company is so greedy I feel they do not care one bit about you are me complaints. They evidently as big as they are have a link to corruption to the White House, Congress, Senators and we know all these people are liers and corrupt!!
N  26th of Oct, 2011 by    -1 Votes
I dont know what that breech of contract post is about as im just now reading all your posts this piece of crap product could have set fire to my kitchen
and ill tell whover i want hell ill go to barack obama if i want to goodnight!!!
N  26th of Oct, 2011 by    0 Votes
just went to all three above references and forwarded copies to my attorney will followup with this page and give results as i get them I work for the state of florida and will not let this go as this s a viery serious negligence issue of a large public cooperation
N  26th of Oct, 2011 by    -1 Votes
and yes conagra i have the popcorn package and the burnt microwave as well as pictures of the smoke and a witness
N  26th of Oct, 2011 by    -2 Votes
im going on the conagra facebook page now and logging this im callint their complaint dept tommorrow and if that gets me nowhere im getting my lawyer to intervene whoi happens to be one of the most prestigious lawyers in florida good night!!
N  26th of Oct, 2011 by    -1 Votes
im guessing redracer and toadsstool work for conagra foods
N  26th of Oct, 2011 by    -2 Votes
yes the popcorn bag was in the microwave for 3 seconds mr redracer and the plastic side element of my 650, 00 microwave caught fire and yes i did stop the microwave and take it out immediately mr redraacer and yes there is still microwave damage mr redracer and yes there was smoke i inhaled the fumes and i am still coughing
N  26th of Oct, 2011 by    +2 Votes
No my question is to George Dobbins. He said he was inhailing smoke.
N  26th of Oct, 2011 by    +3 Votes
Why would you let it keep popping once you noticed it was smoking?
A  26th of Oct, 2011 by    -3 Votes
ps redracer you are a goddamn idiot

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree