Coles Supermarketscredit card overcharged

Friday 17/11/2017
customer Id [protected]
My order cost $250.29 but the delivery driver somehow charged me three times too much leaving me out of pocket to the value of $500.58
Because it was a friday customer care informed me i would be waiting until the following week to be refunded. How does a company justify taking hundreds off a person and offering a coupon as compensation.
Why was I unable to go to the nearest store and be refunded in cash this is serious and yet these people don't seem to care at all. I believe my order should have been free of charge after being subjected to this.

• Updated by Marie kristie, Nov 20, 2017

Name : Kristie Allen
    Customer number [protected]
    Friday 17/11/2017
    My delivery at 3.55pm Western Australian time was unknowingly overcharged $500.58. On realizing this I immediately contacted commonwealth bank to see if this was an error on their end and they assured me this was not and Coles Banksia Grove WA 6031 was at fault in this instance.
    I immediately called customer care to seek a solution because this is money I need for my weekend but the employee informed me there could be no credit back until after the weekend and I should apply for a business loan to get me through which did not amuse me. My next question was how are you going to compensate me for this serious issue and the male I was speaking to advised me he would add this to the email that was going to be sent to management at Coles Banksia Grove WA 6031.
    Online manager Paul from Banksia Grove called Saturday morning and left a message to call and discuss the situation. I called back but he had gone home and an employee suggested I call back on Sunday when Paul would be back in store. At 11.54am On Sunday 19/11/2017 I contacted Online Manager Paul at Banksia Grove who apologetically informed me there was no explanation for what has happened and a $50 coupon would be added to my next order. He assured me my money would be bounced back into my account first instance Monday morning and I would not be required to supply any details to achieve this.
    Today 20/11/2017 8am A voice message left on my phone requesting I call customer care with my credit card details ready so a refund could be organized. This is now interfering with a course i am attending while I am put back on hold with customer care and then repeat myself over again as if nothing was ever discussed. After my card details have been given the phone attendant then tells me I will need to wait 2 - 3 working days for my money to be returned. This is Unacceptable and a $50 coupon will not be sufficient I would like my entire order free of charge to the value of $250.29.

• Updated by Marie kristie, Nov 23, 2017

Free shipping? Is it not obvious i am simply ordering my groceries here in Australia. This is part of a weekly budget, I believe good budgeting is the foundation of comfortable living and a crucial element in educating children how to be in control of their money. We all know how it feels when someone owes you money because it's yours right but when $500 is taken without permission for over 5 days regardless of the fact it will be returned there needs to be first of all a valid explanation as to how this can happen and secondly something substantial available to people that this happens to so it then becomes top priority to the company to sort the problem out. This is no beg if Coles Supermarkets Australia are simply able to give a coupon to customers in situations such as this to make it all better it will keep happening!

Ma
Nov 20, 2017

Comments

• Po
      Nov 20, 2017

I assume you have not worked in retail as anyone who has would know that a cash refund cannot be given when the original purchase was done with a credit card. Additionally, for one mistake you expect a $250+ order to be free? You are being very unreasonable. They did not have to offer you anything, let alone a coupon. People make mistakes and you are not an understanding individual.

Nov 22, 2017

@pobarjenkins I have actually worked in retail for over 10 years in fact and I would be mortified if this happened to a customer under my service. I assume you don't have kids to feed and bills to pay and have excess money lying around and therefore if you were charged 3 times for something you would be totally ok with this situation. My family and I had plans the weekend that just passed and due to these funds being unlawfully taken we had to change them. Kids do not understand how Coles could take their weekend spending money.We were told this situation would be sorted by Monday and still 5 days later we are waiting for the refund and still we have kids to feed and bills to pay with no extra cash flow to fall back on. And we are also still waiting for an explanation as to how this could happen. I Sincerely hope this never happens to you Mr Pobarjenkins

Nov 22, 2017

@Marie kristie I actually have three children, and am on a semi-limited budget. If someone attempted to charge me three times for such a large purchase, I would not be surprised if my card was declined. That being said, I absolutely understand why you are upset as that is a large amount of money. However, in no way should they take a $250+ loss for this mistake. The $50 credit is a good attempt at customer service.

Nov 23, 2017

@pobarjenkins The issue here is how. Clearly a mistake has occurred with no explanation. I have absolutely no problem with the customer service crew they were great. I agree the $50 credit is recognition for the error only it falls way short of the mark in customer satisfaction when there's no reason at all given and a promise made my funds would be returned first thing Monday. A good attempt but not even close to good enough.

Nov 24, 2017

@Marie kristie I don't disagree that they should be expediting your refund (although it's not rare for refunds to take several business days). In regards to an explanation, it most likely was just an accident by an employee so there isn't much to elaborate on.

In my opinion, a $50.00 coupon is a large credit for the inconvenience when they technically don't have to offer you anything. $50.00 is not a small amount of money. Most likely the employee that made the mistake probably got a verbal or written warning as well. Both of those things are enough to encourage a company and its employees to be more careful. It's likely that this was an isolated incident.

A $250.00 refund is unreasonable and I can't think of many companies that would do that, let alone even $50.00. Margins on groceries are not like the margins on other retail products.

Dec 01, 2017

@pobarjenkins Well done you are a good mediator. I don't believe there was a mistake made by the employee he did exactly the same procedure each time and was not at fault. It would not be fair to issue him with a warning.

Dec 02, 2017

@Marie kristie I'm assuming your first sentence was sarcastic.

Why would he do it on purpose? What would he have to gain? It's not like he can use the credit card funds for personal use. And finally, what punishment would you consider "fair?"