Coles Supermarkets / bullying and harassment at work

1 Queensland, Australia Review updated:

I have worked at a Coles supermarket for almost 4 months now as a checkout operator and loving it. The problem is having to deal with discrimination, victimisation and harrassment mainly from management but also from other staff members as well. There appears to be gossip and rumours going around, but I don't actually know what they're saying about me. I live in Dalby and even though there's a Coles in Dalby I was offered a job in Toowoomba so I took it with a plan to move to Toowoomba, but my plans have changed and I have to stay in Dalby now. I wondered about transferring to Dalby. I shop at Coles in Dalby and while I was there yesterday one of the managers and a staff member started harrassing me saying things like I will never get a transfer there, they don't want me there. I had my young son with me and they were saying things like they feel sorry for my son having me for a mother. I don't know why I'm being treated this way, I don't know what I've done to deserve this. I have now had to leave my employment with Coles because of the way I'm being treated which is sad because I really enjoyed the job itself.

Jan 26, 2013

Comments

• Pa
      12th of Apr, 2013
    Coles Supermarket Pinjara WA - Extra Charging
    coles Supermarket
    Australia

I feel Coles Supermarkets are ripping the general public of. I wanted a roast of lamb, but the roast's were much to large for my husband and I. So I asked the Butcher to cut in half, I was prepared to buy both half's. The butcher cut the leg for me, but low and behold the cost shot up by $4. I asked him to explain the difference in the cost. His reply was Coles policy. So Coles will not put out smaller roast's for those of us who either live alone or need only to feed two. But have the audacity to charge an extra $1.50 kg to cut a much larger roast in half. My husband and I are both pensioners and every dollar counts. All I can say hurry up Aldi and come to Western Australia. The sad thing is Coles or owned by a West Australian Co.

• Mo
      13th of Apr, 2013

so, you don't own a knife and couldn't cut it in half yourself after you got it home ?

• Ta
      29th of Jan, 2014
    Coles Lilydale - Bad customer service
    Coles Lilydale
    Lilydale

Dear Sir/Madam,
    I am so disappointed and disgusted with the service I received tonight (9 o'clock).
    I had a few items i wanted to buy namely orange mineral water, 1 packet of porterhouse steak, bag of onions and juice.
    The self serve was closed and there were 2 people service in the express lane. Mick was just finishing with a customer and I politely asked if he was open to serve me. He grumbled and said no. So I went to the other teller and waited my turn. Lo and behold and lady also with a few items went to Micks register and he served her. I asked him why he did not want to serve me but he proceeded to service the customer. I demanded an aswer and he said because he did. I was lived. I asked him whether it was because of my colour and he said and I quote " now dont start with that !" I said but you are not giving me and answer.
    My shopping was already unpacked on the other register. And I asked the cashier to speak to the manager and he told me that Mick how gave me such horrible service was the manager...
    My husband and I had to listen to the cashier trying to explain away the managers rudeness.
    So we left the shop without our shopping and will not shop at Coles Liydale again until I receive an apology and an acceptable reason for the bad customer service. This might sound unreasonable to you but I love the store and has shopped there for more than 25 years and this is the first time something like this has happened to me.
    Training in customer service would be a good start.
    Thank you and I hope to hear from you soon
    Regards

• Me
      7th of Aug, 2015

These Pies used to taste nice even without sauce. Now the taste horrible. Have you changed your provider?

• Up
      17th of Feb, 2016

Coles lemon mineral water we purchase by the carton, the last carton we purchased has a taste like a burnt electric motor.
    the batch # is " best before W1 09/10/16/21 :00

22nd of Jul, 2016
    Coles Supermarkets - insulting team members
    Coles super market at bayswater
    bayswater
    Melbourne
    Victoria
    Australia

On 30/03/2013 I went into the coles super market @ mountain highway shopping centre at 10.15 pm. I am looking around. Suddenly i have heard a team member called for "Jack". The guy named jack went to the woman they talked about some thing. After that "Jack" came to me and said that few team members were feeling suspicious about you.
    I felt insulted and said Its their problem. Then :" Jack" said if any thing goes wrong we have to call security guard".

I said "its your choice". my complaint is how he can decide that I am going to steal some thing and ask me such an idiotic questions. Can any one tell me what are my legal rights and inform me whether I can sue them or not.
    thanks
    sasi

27th of Aug, 2016

Coles lilydale has the worst customer service. I went in to purchase some meat and was made to feel intimidated because I placed a product back on the shelf in a different aisle and was followed around by a coles worker like I was some kind of criminal. The guy then approached me when I was in the frozen section of coles and confronted me by saying "have we upset you in anyway"? "We noticed you chucked a product back on the shelf". I was horrified with the amount of attitude the guy have me. I am absolutely appalled. I usually always shop there and have been for the passed 6-8 months. I believe I'll be doing my shopping at Woolworths lilydale from now on. And I will be advising all my friends and family to do the same.