City Of Tshwane / incorrect billing by smart metering system

City of Tshwane, South Africa

Good morning

On friday afternoon 27 january 2017 the following sequence of events occurred as explained below. The series of events and phone calls made to the call center makes it plainly obvious that there is a problem on the back end billing system of the smart metering system. At first I am r-0.79 in debt, I make a payment of r500 to the account above and suddenly I owe over r7000.

This as a formal complaint of the smart metering system.in the same breath I must compliment a lady by the name of sebenzile at the smart metering call center. She made every effort to understand my plight and offered her assistance.

Sequence of events on friday 27 january 2017:

Sms received:

16h30:

Warning! Prepaid smart meter account:[protected]???, meterseadc0002006???, r-0.78 balance is flagged for disconnection. Please top up your account. From cot

16h50:

Top up payment of r500.00 for account [protected]??? On 27/01/17 at 16:50 was successful. Account balance is -7324.28. From cot

16h53:

Warning! Prepaid smart meter account:[protected]???, meterseadc0002006???, r-7324.28 balance is flagged for disconnection. Please top up your account. From cot

It was during this time I contacted the smart pre-paid call centre at [protected]. The lady I spoke to pointed out that because there is an 's' in what she thought is a reference number that I should call city of tshwane. I contacted their pre-paid call centre at 19h14 and they tried to forward me on to smart meter but I was disconnected.

19h06:

At 19h30 I again made contact using the above number to the smart meter call centre and managed to speak to a very patient and helpful sebenzile who explained that on her side she could not see a payment made to this account and explained that my account is now r9000 in arrears. She escalated this and says that she will call me back on monday and requested that I try get a proof of payment for the most recent payment from the bank tomorrow 28 january 2017.

I have full faith that sebenzile will assist in resolving this matter. As you can imagine I am confounded at the discrepancy in the series of sms messages and how the online involve and top up history shows a payment of r500 but the system used by the call centre does not reflect this. I have attached the most recent invoice as supporting document.

Here is an excerpt from the email sent to my immediately after I paid the r500 this evening:

"dear customer,
A top up payment of r500.00 for your prepaid smart meter account: [protected]??? On 27/01/17 at 16:50 has been successful.
Your current account balance is r-7324.28. Please view further account details on the self care portal.

Regards,