City Furniture / Exorbitant finance charges on account paid in full

1 United States

I relocated to Florida in January of 2006 and purchased large amounts of furniture, for which I paid cash, while waiting for my new home to be completed. I was encouraged by the sales people at City Furniture in Wellington, FL to charge the furniture with a no-interest one-year account and pay the entire bill when I received the bill. The community I moved into is new and, on occasion my mail was not delivered in a timely manner. I received a call from a GE Money representative on May 4, 2007 and informed that I had not paid the bill. I explained that I never received a bill in the mail and was informed of a balance of $2308.17 on a 1733.96 purchase. I immediately made a phone payment to the representative and informed him that I had paid over $19,000 for furniture in cash and that my payment record for all purchases was immediate and excellent. I also informed him that I had no intention of paying the finance charge since I had not received billing statement. I even paid the additional $10.00 phone payment charge. In addition, his broken English was difficult to understand but he assured me that he would correct the account balance. I just received a billing statement from GE Money Bank with a balance remaining of $597.38. I attempted to contact GE Money Bank online but could not get to a customer service web page. I tried calling, but the recorded message states "due to unusual call volume" the wait time will be long. This situation has taught me never to purchase anything "interest free for one year", especially when dealing with an organization such as the GE Money Bank. I plan to stay on top of this situation, however, contacting the GE Money Bank may prove to be a futile effort in light of their total indifference up to this point and its track record of the past.