Circuit City / Hp Computers / Rebate scam

Circuit City in Timonium Maryland and HP computers.

I bought an $1800.00 HP Laptop from the Circuit City in Timonium Maryland more then 6 months ago. They offered a $150.00 HP mail in rebate and a $50.00 Circuit City mail in rebate. After waiting 4 months and not receiving either rebate I contacted the rebate center for both Circuit City and HP. Both claim they never received my rebate. What are the odds that both did not receive it. Sounds like they did not plan on receiving them.

They both told me that the rebate had expired and there was nothing they could do. I wrote to the president of each company detailing what had happened. I received a response back from HP stating they would offer me some coupons for printer ink. They did not state how much they would be worth. I wrote back and stated that they should live up to the agreement and give me my $150.00. If I wanted printer ink I would buy printer ink. I told them that if this is the way they do business I would not buy anymore HP products. This was my fourth HP computer. I said I would also spread the word about their scam. They did not respond.

Circuit City never bother to respond.

I have since made special trips into Circuit city stores. I strike up conversations with customers and explain how they and HP rip you off. Many have thanked me and walked out. I tell them that if you go to Best Buy you do not have to deal with rebates. I hope that my continuing efforts will cost them thousands. They could have settled for the $200.00 they owed me.

I work for a company that employs thousands. Email to thousands is so much easier then making the trip into Circuit City but I do it for the sport. I am looking forward to Christmas.

Bo

Comments

• Th
      14th of Jul, 2007

Well first of all, I am sorry you had a bad experience with rebates. Many do, but the majority of people get their rebates. I am one of those people. In the past 2 years I have sent out 5 rebates, and short of them taking forever to get, they have all arrived.

I too wish for a day when all rebates are abolished, as they are an unnecessary step for the consumer to take. But many do respond to them, so they persist.

Let me ask you this. Was there an option to send your email address for confirmation? Did you make copies of everything you sent? Did you send it out with some sort of receipt confirmation? If there was a web address to check status, how often did you do this? What steps as a consumer did you take to make sure your $150.00 transaction took place?

I know that it should be simple, but when was the last time it was easy for you to make $150.00 dollars? I'm not excusing any wrong doing, but what if they did not get them? The only one between point A and B, was you and the post office. Did you ask our venerable postal authority what happened to your rebates? We all know that the mail system is not perfect.

2nd. Please stop bothering people at stores when they are shopping. It is not fair to the salespeople who work hard to take care of customers, and it is not fair to the consumer who is just trying to have a nice day shopping. Remember. Nobody in the store did any harm to you. Why hold them to blame? It is Circuit City corporate, and Hp that did this. You are slapping the sister, when it is the brother who did this to you. Does it seem fair? Especially when we don't know if the rebates actually got there.

• Ce
      16th of Mar, 2009

I too was scammed by Circuit City, after numerous calls about a rebate from the day after thanksgiving that I have e-mail confirmation that it was sent Jan 22, 2oo9 I have yet to get a single cent in the mail from the $180.00 in rebates! Coupled with the status of the economy and the fact that I COULD have purchased a WAY faster computer for the price of 1, 000.00 I am now stuck with a slower more expensive computer, THANK GOD THEY ARE OUT OF BUSINESS SO NOBODY ELSE GETS SCREWED!

24th of Mar, 2009

I definitely agree!!! Just like Cee, i also had an email confirmation on 1/22/09 and I expected the reward 5-10 business day and it has not arrived! is there a way we can sue circuit city for this scam! I Am very glad they are out of business too! Best Buy has done an awesome job and that is why CC is out of business! Huge Kudos to Best Buy!

• Dd
      28th of Mar, 2009

Same story as the Cee and Marjorie. Does anybody know if there is anything we can do?

• Iv
      29th of Mar, 2009

In the holiday time ; I bought a HP notebook I send my request rebate for $ 150.00 . After that; I receive an e-mail with the tracking number but the check never was recieved.
    this was a fraud from the Circuit City.

• Iv
      29th of Mar, 2009

My e-mail from Circuit City rebate confirmation was January 22, 2009 too. wow!! It is a fraud. Now:Who respond for this fraud?

• Wa
      9th of Apr, 2009

wanatress
    I purchased an HP Laptop from Circuit City the day after Thanksgiving 2008 was supposed to receive a rebate in the amount of 150.00 I have received my email confirmation tracking number and email saying I will receive my check in 30 days, that was as of January 22, 2009 and I still have not received my check. I wish there was something we could do!

• Re
      26th of May, 2009

I bought a laptop the day after Thanksgiving and was suppose to get a $200 rebate from HP and a $50 rebate from curcuit city. My husband mailed them both out. I got a postcard in the mail stating that I did not mail them out in time and will not be getting my rebate. They are liars!!! They both were mailed out before the time stated. I would not have bought that computer if I would have know that I was not going to be getting the rebates. It sucks because I feel like I have been cheated. Is there nothing that we can do about it?