Charlie Biggins Construction / Stole our $1,200 House Plans

1 4901 Brady Dr.Memphis, TN, United States Review updated:
Phone: 901-238-1470

We loaned our custom home plans to Charlie Biggins of Charlie Biggins Construction in March 09 to get a written estimate on building our new custom home. Mr. Biggins never gave us a written estimate of the house cost and wanted to rush into building the house by doing soil testing, sewer treatments, and so on. We asked for the estimate first because we wanted to know the total cost of the house. We were not comfortable with building a house without knowing the total cost.

We decided it would be best to wait and build the house next year and asked for the plans back. Mr. Biggins agreed to this but kept putting us off saying he was out of town or whatever. This was a red flag for us. Finally we called him and said that we needed the plans back today. At this request for the plans he then informed us that he thought he needed to be paid for his time. There was no prior agreement for any payment. We've had several home builders review the plans for an estimate and not one asked to be paid for their estimate. We told him that he never mentioned anything about a payment for the house estimate and we didn't sign anything saying we'd pay him for the estimate. We asked for the plans again. At that he said he was keeping the plans and hung up on us. The license for this home plan cost us $1, 200. I have notified the copyright holder of the plans in case they would like to sue him for illegally stealing their plans. I have also contacted the police to see if they can do anything about the theft of our house plans.

In our opinion, this man is a very shady character, unreasonable and a thief that can not be trusted. I thank God this man showed his true colors before we got into a business deal with him. His actions prove him to be a dishonest liar and a thief. Beware of Charlie Biggins, avoid him like the plague.

Ho

Comments

• Mb
      11th of May, 2009

Mr. Biggins built a custom home for our family in Desoto County, MS. We had the opposite experience with him. Not only did his crew do an excellent job, but he saved us a great deal of money. He was patient with us and made a number of changes to make sure that we were satisfied. I would recommend him to anyone.

It sounds as though something is missing from your story. Think twice about trying to ruin someone's reputation unecessarily.

M.J.

• Ho
      12th of May, 2009

If I was lying why would I call the police and report Biggins to the BBB and notify the copyright holder of the plans? You are Biggins or associated with him in some way. The tone of your comment is sounds like you have something invested in Biggins other than just being a customer. Not a good try at fooling anybody.

If you are legit call him up and ask if he has the Hoover's plans. If he lies to you that proves my point exactly.

Hoover

• Co
      13th of Apr, 2010

I gave a custom home plan to Mr. Biggins in 2007 and when I asked for them back, he said that his truck had been stolen and my plan just happened to have been in that truck. Go figure!!!

CNO

• Ba
      27th of Aug, 2014

I have dealt with Charlie Biggins on two remodel projects, and my experience has been very satisfactory on both occasions. I have highly recommended him to friends, and would not hesitate to recommend him and his crew to anyone in the future. The bathroom remodels that he most recently completed were nothing less than beautiful, and I have had compliments from everyone who has seen them. He was professional, always responded to my calls even after hours when I had questions, or had to adjust my schedule. I do not make a habit of doing Internet testimonials or bloviating about businesses or individuals, however when a friend I had recommended Charlie Biggins for their remodeling pointed me to this complaint website, I felt compelled to share my business experiences with Mr. Biggins.
    I certainly cannot speak to any person that I do not know personally, but the Hoover complaint I see on this site (also mirrored on another site) sounds particularly vindictive, and questioning the character or motive of a positive reviewers comments, in my opinion, makes the Hoovers suspect.
    I have no knowledge of the circumstances of any of the above parties, but for myself and my family and the work done for a friend, that was also done satisfactorily, and in my case they did extra work at no additional charge, I can say without reservation that Charlie Biggins does very good work, and in his own words “is not happy until you are happy”.
    One last note, during that last job that Charlie Biggins did for us, on a hot July day when I was not at home Charlie noticed my wife cutting the lawn on the side of our home, and he sent one of his workers outside to do finish the lawn for her, expressing his concern for her laboring in the heat. That was a really kind thing to do, and doesn't quite fit the slanderous narrative of the above complainant of someone accused to be "a very shady character, unreasonable and a thief that cannot be trusted" or "a dishonest liar and a thief”. On the contrary, my experience has been that Charlie is a man who keeps his word, is very fair and considerate and I and trusted him with my home and family while I have been away, and have felt very comfortable with him securing my home unsupervised.