Channel 7 Australian Open Tennis Coverage / poor quality australian open tennis comentating

1 Sydney Metro Area, New South Wales, Australia Review updated:

I began watching the Djokovic - Tsonga quarter final match last night as a truely neutral TV spectator, as I don't hold any allegiance to either of the players.
By the 3rd set, however, I was willing Tsonga to lose the match, if only to silence the annoying French commentator, Henri Leconte, whom for some reason, Channel 7 thought it appropriate to have commentating Tsonga's matches. To keep it fair, 7 should really employ a Swiss commentator calling Fererer's matches, a Spaniard calling Nadal's, etc...

Great winners by Djokovic were greeted by silence from the commentators, led by the aforementioned Henri Leconte, who even seemed excited when Djokovic was struggling with what looked like an upset stomach. I thought commentators' roles were to provide an impartial commentary on more technical aspects of the game as well as light-hearted remarks, rather than being more vocal supporters of one of the players than some of the spectators in the stands.

Henri Leconte really ruined the experience of watching the match for me, and I was forced to turn off the volume altogether in the 5th set. I sincerely hope that this is the last time I hear him.

Fr

Comments

• Sp
      28th of Jan, 2010

In my opinion sport has become far too serious. At the end of the day tennis is merely a physical activity, no more, no less. While these games are serious for the players in terms of prize money and ranking and such, for the rest of us it doesn't really matter. To me, Leconte brings a refreshing change. He's not just a statistics or technical aspects machine; he's human. He supports one player more than another, and this provides, in my opinion, more interesting commentary. His support becomes part of the story, in essence.

Some football matches in England are commentated by two fans, each following one of the teams. It makes for hilarious arguments and interesting insights into the conflict between supporters as well as the conflict between the players. I find this much more compelling and informative than the traditional alternative. This supporter's culture does not exist to the same extent in tennis, obviously, but it is there.

I think Leconte needs to be slightly more professional and perhaps work on his command of English, but apart from that I think he is fantastic. More like him would be welcome to me indeed.

• Ju
      28th of Jan, 2010

I actually enjoyed Henri Leconte's, unlike his counterpart commentators he (although obviously biased) seems to get very excited every time an amazing point is played, in some parts even laughing and commentating during the point which for most commentators is a serious no-no. After seeing Leconte's earlier commentary displays in the Tsonga/Almagro match I tuned in to the Djokovic/Tsonga match, which i previously wasnt going to watch, only to listen to Leconte's hilariously biased yet emotional commentary.

• Dr
      26th of Jan, 2017

Jim Courier may have once been a great tennis player, but he's an awful commentator. He babbles endlessly, rarely has anything intelligent to say, and greets the great match victors with ridiculous, stupid questions like "How did you win?" By the way, Jim, "often" is pronounced "offen, " not "oft-en."