Care.com / unauthorized re-occuring billing

MD, United States Review updated:

I used care.com in august 2011 and subscribed for a 1-month membership for $29.75. After finding a babysitter for my son in two weeks I cancelled the membership. I read the "small print" of the subscription agreement, but was not "smart enough" to check my credit card statement for re-occurring charges. Only today (March 2012) I discovered that my request was dishonored and care.com have been charging me for subscription. Total of $245.00!!! It is outrageous! The account that I have is "basis" - and free no credit card information or billing information was stored on the account. It seems that I am not the only unhappy customer that had similar experience with care.com. It seems now more like a credit card fraud rather that just putting the subscription terms and conditions in "small print". I am requesting a full refund of $245.00 for all unauthorized charges. In general it is not acceptable to renew a 1 month membership. If someone signs up for just 1 month it means that he/she does not need the service any longer. Renewing that type of membership is absurd.

To

Comments

• Kr
      2nd of Apr, 2012

Hi, this is Kristen from Care.com. It seems like you took the right steps to downgrade your account so I'd like to review it and get this resolved for you. Please send me an email at kschlemmer[at]care.com with your information and I will contact you ASAP. I apologize for any inconvenience.

• Dw
      7th of Jun, 2012

I was about to sign up with Care.com, but their subscription policy seems like a complete scam.

• Kr
      26th of Jul, 2012

Hi DWS2007, I am a Member care representative from Care.com. When signing up with Care.com, you can sign up as a free basic member to evaluate the site. This allows you to post a job ad detailing what you’re looking for. Providers on the site are able to apply to the position, and this allows you to see if there are any quality providers in your area that you’re interested in through the site. If you do not think the service is for you, you do not have to upgrade to contact. If you do decide to upgrade, you are made aware of automatic renewal both on the payment page and on the confirmation page. You also get the opportunity to set a reminder on the confirmation page, and that sends an email notification seven days before the renewal date. You can cancel the subscription at any time either on your ‘Profile and Settings’ page, or by calling/emailing us to cancel.

• Av
      13th of Jan, 2014

Hello, I was about to sign up for this website but decided to check out some reviews first. I only typed in my name, birthdate, and address. I did NOT enter any of my credit card information. After I read these reviews I went back to Care.com to try to erase the information that I had typed but it would not let me because I hadn't completed my profile. I am just wondering if I will be charged for anything regardless of not entering my credit card information or cancellation of anything. I also never chose any monthly or annual subscriptions either. Just my name address and phone number. thank you!