Care.com / service promised not provided

1 MN, United States Review updated:

I went on this site to find nanny jobs and messaged over two dozen families who were seeking nannies on the site. When I didn't receive ANY responses I thought it might because I hadn't completed a background check (something the site offers for $8). I provided my information (social security number included - huge mistake!). The site however, did not ask for my past addresses or former names- things I thought were needed for a background check. Then 30 seconds later, my 'background check' came back clean. I don't know a lot about the process, but I always thought it took more time than that. Although, I haven't experienced problems related to releasing my social security number to this company yet, I'm fearful as they have shown untrustworhty thus far. Needless to say, even after my 'clean background check' was posted on my profile I never recieved any responses from families.

Lb

Comments

• Ka
      4th of Feb, 2010

Hi – as a member of care.com member care services, I wanted you to know that I saw your blog post and I’d love to see if I can help resolve the situation. Please contact me at [protected]@care.com and we’ll do our best to fix the situation quickly.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and thank you for using Care.com.

• Sk
      8th of Jun, 2010

Please see my post, and you will understand why you never received any job offers:

Ruthless exploitation of housekeepers seeking employment! In looking for a housekeeper, I happened upon Care.com. I was encouraged to register and place an add for FREE! I registered and placed an add for a housekeeper. I received many responses by the next day, with many well thought out explanations why they would be the best choice. Now the scam kicks in! In order for me to contact these people and offer them the job, I must first secure a paid membership to Care.com, which they claim can be cancelled at any time. Of course, you will see by numerous other complaints, that once you give them your card the billing keeps right on going. So these poor people seeking employment pay this unscrupulous scam house to apply for jobs that are posted and never get to communicate with the prospective employer, because the "FREE" ad was a scam! I placed an ad on CraigsList and had more than 20 responses within 24 hours. Do not be taken in by these scam artists!!! Use a legitimate service like CraigsList or numerous free bullitin boards to match job opportunities with eager people or businesses seeking work.

• Ra
      20th of Jun, 2011

Oh yea, this site is a scam and nothing more! It tells you to fill out a free profile, then you can apply for jobs. Ok then you WASTE your time to apply when the people seeking you can not get your information unless they have a paid membership! So obviously the staff deletes your contact information so no one can see it unless they pay! What a waste of time! I sent probably 25 application e-mails for nothing! They do not tell you all of this up front. Also it says all of "their" caregivers have background checks, that is a BLATANT LIE! The background check that took 10 minutes and they didn't even have my previous address?? It also states it's the fastest growing site for caregivers, again, A LIE! It only gets to the top by people wasting their time logging in everyday to see no one has responded to you! Someone should shut this place down!