Care Credit / Gemb / Get rid off!

Hello: my name is "Lannie Hunt", from Bakersfield, Ca. In may, june, july, of 2006, my family and i took a long waited and deserved vacation to the bahammas, to the atlantas hotel in the capitol of the bahamas, nassau. We arrived at the hotel late, so we retired for the night. Early the next morning we had reservations to go snorkeling in the morning, and in the afternoon we were to go water skiing, while we were water skiing a dolphan surfaced right in front of me, and my wife, we are champion skier's, my wife was able to bypass the dolphan, by swing toward me, but my only hope of bypassing the dolphan was to swing in toward her. But if i did that we both would have collided, and at about 60 - 65 miles per hour could have caused the both great danger, if not "death" for the both of us. So i tried to swing out the opposite direction and get in front of the submerging and resurfacing swimming dolphan. I did manage to get out in front of the dolphan, just as i thought i had definitely swayed out far enough ahead of the submerged dolphan, he stayed under about 10 seconds more than his normal swimming pattern, he surfaced and hit me directly in the side while swimming at full speed. That is the last thing that i remember of the accident. If it were not for the prompt response from the rescue boats that the atlantas hotel provides when you sign-up for the skiing adventure, i would have not been here today. I was unconchace, and on the bottom drowning, in about 100 feet of water. I praise the atlantas hotel for providing this rescue service. I understand that i was under water for about 2 minutes before they had me on the surface, which is just under meractulass. I was at the hospital in less than 20 minutes of the accident. When i awoke just after arriving at the hospital. The doctors did a quick evaluation of my injuries and found that the neck collar that the lifeguards had put me in as i was on their boat before leaving for the shore,and than to the hospital, had saved my life! I ended-up with a broken neck in 2 places, and a broken back in 1 place and 4 broken ribs on my left side. I was in critical condition for 7 weeks. This is where i started calling all of my debtors to tell them about my accident and that as soon as i got home i would call them back when i get home and catch-up on all of my bills. Every one of them sent me a get well gift and told me not to worry that they would take care of everything for me so that i would not endure any negative or derogatory information on my credit record! When i was able to leave and come home, i had been there for over 3 months hospitalized.as soon as i got back home i started making my calls to my debtors,as i promised.when i got to carecredit/gemb, i spoke to a gentleman, named "brock" and he went off on me like i was a bandit, he told me that anyone who would not pay his bills for 90 day's was a deadbeat and scam of the earth, and did not deserve to have anything removed from my credit record , and he would see that my 90 day lates would stay on my credit record for 7--10 years. That he was sick in tired of dealing with deadbeats like me. I even tried to pay the account completely off,but to leave the account open. He refused to take the payment in full, because it would show that i had the means to pay my obligations,and he was not going to let that happen. This remains on my credit report to this day. I feel that this person (not a gentleman) should not be in a manager position, or even a customer service representative. If carecredit/gemb continues to keep a person like this on their payroll, then they deserve to loose every customer that they have.

D  5th of May, 2007 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Sometimes words are misunderstood and misinterpreted, in this case the young gentleman Brock was taken out of context I am sure. Because if a care credit supervisor did call a card holder names like that he would be reprimanded immediately. I think people need to understand that people are just doing their job, its not personal, but we all need to make money and support our families and when you work at a big center like care credit as a supervisor and every other caller is screaming at you for something that is not your fault or the companies fault it is tough to handle, but I know Brock handled it better than that
D  8th of Aug, 2007 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I happen to know that Brock knows the policies, concerning Care Credit, inside and out and is very direct. So yes, by him being stern and telling the customer exactly what the policy states some card holders get irate and may take what is said in the conversation out of context. Some people only hear what they want to hear, and if it’s not what they want to hear then blogs such as this one get posted. But did Care Credit have to finance the procedure causing these outlandish accusations? NO.

Any person who has worked in a call center or calls into a call center knows that each call is recorded so if Brock called this person all these names, he would have been escorted off the premises. But guess what he wasn’t, so obviously these are colorful words added to an otherwise plain story. Also there are managers stationed all around, so if they heard this he would have been reprimanded immediately.

On the other hand if any person is financing anything thru ANY company they should be fully aware of the terms they are agreeing to. You are signing a contract after all. It’s a tough break when, even in instances like this story, the agreement is not followed and the terms default. Ultimately you get something financed and don't follow thru with your agreement there are repercussions... that’s life and that’s a contract.

This is a classic reason why companies offer protection plans like Account Security so no one has to go thru what this man has experienced... I know it pays off any balance on the account in full up to 10K in instances just like this. So tell me Care Credit doesn’t Care. Be honest with yourself.
A  21st of Aug, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
I cosigned a loan for my brother to get emergency health care. Although I was a cosigner, GEMB never sent me any information on this loan, nor apparently the credit cards which were issued with this account.He did make some payments on this account.

My brother moved from Fort Worth to Austin and did not receive statements. He attempted to make web payments and phone payments and they didn't go through. He tried to get hold of a customer service rep and spent over 3 hours on hold multiple times. I knew nothing of the problems that he had.He was apparently short of funds and did miss some payments.

All of a sudden one of my lines of credit was frozen. The bank stated it was due to my credit report having a default.When I checked, there was a nonpayment with GEMB.I have been trying to get hold of a human being to speak with at GEMB for 2 days. It has taken me hours to speak with anyone. I got one number from a website, it was India, Hyderbad. The person directed me back to the GEMB number 1-866-396-8254. I waited for at least 20 minutes then someone answered from Hyderbad India once again. She transferred me to yet another number, it had been 1/2 hour of continuing to hold for a customer service representative. I have 3 battery operated phones all of which have lost their charge. During and after finally reaching a representative.

When I finally got hold of a representative and explained the situation, he stated that despite the fact that I was a cosigner on the loan, when the loan went unpaid, they had no obligation to contact me to inform me that there was a problem with the loan.They had sent me no information at any time regarding the terms of the loan, the loan origination number, nor any credit card that was used on this account. I didn't even have knowledge of the account number.Apparently all of that went to my brother.So despite the fact that they held me legally responsible, at no time did they send me any information nor inform me that there was a problem with this account.

After 1/2 hour of speaking with Mr Allen, I finally had him transfer me to his supervisor Ron Hess, who informed me that my brother had told them to stop harassing him at work which had caused them to send the account to an attorney. Apparently they had repeatedly called him, yet not once did they ever attempt to get hold of me. Now this is on my credit report and although I have tried to deal civilly with this company and pay off the bill they have refused. They refuse to remove this from my credit report.

I attempted to deal equitably with them and completely pay off this loan, and they refused to come to any reasonable solution. They stated that it had been turned over to an attorney.

It seems to me that if they could repeatedly call my brother and harass him, they should have had some legal obligation to notify me as cosigner that there was a problem with this account. There contention was that I should have checked the account which I had no way of doing as they never sent me any information on the account so I did not even know the name of the company, nor the line of credit, nor the account balance.
A  9th of Oct, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
If I gather enough complaints from googling "Care Credit" I will submit this to the Better Business Bureau, Bay News 9, and 98.7 station and make Brock gets released from this company. I understand that he's getting pay Supervisor Salary to take the heat but he's doing a horrible job, I've been in customer service for 15 years and I've never provide or experience such svc. Instead of trying to figure out what's happening to improve the system the place Brock in place as a patch to the problem.
A  24th of Oct, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Care Credit/GEMB added Account Security credit insurance to my account without my permission or knowledge. They refuse to credit my account, despite at least 4 phone calls and a written dispute. I sent them a copy of my original credit application, which clearly shows I did not sign up for the credit insurance. I would like to find others that had this happen to start a class action lawsuit.

A  30th of Oct, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I used care credit and have been faithfully paying each month, on time to use one of their promotions. I set up automatic payments through my bank, and was told the amount that should paid each month. Little did I know that the amount left a mere $25 on my last bill. Needless to say, the promotional period passed 5 days ago, and I get a bill for the $25, a $25 late fee, and over $700 in interest on my ENTIRE bill. I called, was extremely calm (unlike these people who apparently work at care credit have characterize callers), and got nowhere. They agreed to waive the late fee - freaking do! I will pay the late fee because, I agree with you, it was late - but it is beyond comprehension and terrible business to not help me out on the interest when I've made my payment each month on time. The last woman that I talked to said "I'm sorry, but I am not going to help you out when it's not my fault you made a mistake and I can't believe you would expect me to help you when you've had 18 months to pay this off." As if I can't afford $25! THAT is not the problem. I have never dealt with a company so unwilling to work with its loyal customers. I will tell everyone I know about this and to NEVER use Care Credit.
A  16th of Dec, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I went thru a similar deal with care credit/gemb . i went to a dental office,for some new dentures. They opened me up a charge account from there office, which my limit if i remember was $5000.00. I never got to see if the teeth he sent off to be made, were teeth i would accept. I had never dealt with this doctor before.which when he got the teeth back to his office, they were horrible,i put them on,they didn't fit, they made my mouth sink in like i had no teeth... i didn't in no way want the teeth he had someone make for me. When i refused, i seen he had already drawn out the $5000.00 from the credit i had opened with care credit /Gemb.he used the account number they had given the receptionist for me to have over the telephone the dentist drew from the account, the exact amount they had give me for a credit line. I had not even received my credit card thru the mail at that time... i raised cane in his office until he refunded 4000.00 back to my card. But care credit made me pay for what work the dentist did in the farming of the dentures. Which were thrown in the trash.care credit took the dentist side... the only reason i got the 4000.00 returned back to my account, the dentist knew i was a cancer survivor, i had no voice box, it had been removed, so he didn't think that would be good advertisement for his clients to see a 64 yr old lady getting upset because he drew everything from her account without her permission... i paid for what they said i owed an closed my account. I am fixing to have reconstruction cosmetic surgery, an have been running all this thru my head, after i read other peoples tragedy's with care credit GEMB... i only want to be charged for what i worried, i don't need a supervisor threatening me with my credit record.an charging me some outstanding bill i don't owe!
A  28th of Dec, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Funny.....As I read these stories, I see that I do not stand alone. I also went to a dental office and was introduced to Care Credit/Gemb by my dentist. At the time (2004), I had no insurance and I was in need of dental work. I was told that this company would defer payments for 6 months so quickly I applied and was approved for $3,000 (total cost of dental work). I made monthly payments and paid off my account before the 6 month period. After the 6 months, I get a letter stating I owed Care Credit approx. $114.00 for insurance (Insurance I never applied for). I contacted Customer Service and explained the situation. I was told that a form would be mailed to me to dispute the charges. And despite of the lengthy phone calls and submission of the despute form, they refused to credit my account indicating, "I was unable to dispute an account if the account had been paid in full". I argued with the person and inquired, "then why am I being charged?" He gave me no real explanation other than I was being billed for insurance and it was my responsibility to pay it. Needless to say, I never paid this balance and yes....my credit suffers because of this one negative item (now $717.97 of late fees, I assume) on my report.
N  8th of Feb, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I agree with you on the handling of Care Credit's customer service representatives, who are completely rude and unwilling to help the customers. I recently had a problem with the company that caused my lateness of payments, and I explained the situation and asked that they not charge my finance fees, as I had not been receiving my bill. They refused to help, so I asked for the next person in line and she was more rude than the peon I originally talked to.

I was completely upset, not only at the fact that the company was willing to help, but that their employees were arrogant, rude, and unhelpful. Everyone told me to let it go, after all the finance charges were only about $35, but I felt completely ignored and unappreciated as a customer. And I do not believe that companies that don't appreciate their customers should be in business. They told me to write a complaint, but seeing the degree of their willingness and helpfulness, I did not believe their "complaints" department would side with me. So I made a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. Guess what? The BBB was able to help me get what I originally wanted. I suggest you, and anyone who has a complaint file one with the BBB. I see that mine is the only complaint lodged with the BBB, but there are several people online who are ranting and raving about them. Perhaps more complaints to the BBB will make the company think about they way it operates and the people they are hiring to do their bidding.
A  3rd of May, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I have ALWAYS had trouble with Care Credit. This last time the payment was due on the 22nd. On the 19th I paid much more than the minimum, which I ALWAYS do. It came out of my checking account on the 22nd but wasn't posted till the 23rd. Therefore, I was charged a $29 late fee. When I called to complain, Eric told me that he was sorry but they would go by the date it was posted and it was too bad, but there was nothing they would do about it. But they would report it to the credit bureau that I was 1 day late. This has happened more than once. I now have an attorney that is writing them a letter. I have paid $352 and still have a balance of $461 on a $500 credit!! No matter when I make the payment they are rarely credited on time PLUS they say that there have been "Payment Reversals". I still can't figure out why. I have called my bank and they have no idea. I have ALWAYS had the money in the bank when the payments were made. The routing and account numbers have all been correct. I think Care Credit is a scam. I was in the dental office a few months ago and a patient was looking at the Care Credit brochure. The office was full of patients. I told her what a scam they were and she would never get them paid off. She put the brochure back as well as did others. Anytime I see people thinking about it, I tell them all about Care Credit and none of it is positive. I have also complained to LA Weightloss about them.

A  8th of Jun, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I missed a payment (bill not sent?) and in two months my balance has gone from $800 to $1600. GE will definitely get a formal complaint from me.
A  24th of Jun, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
They just take your money, and the more they can get the better. I currently had a promotional balance and payed on time except for the one time I was one day late. My fault. I knew that my promotion was getting ready to expire and wanted to pay off the final amount as to not accure the interest. when I called to find out about it, the lady said it would cost me $15.00 to pay it by phone. I told her I did not want to do that, I just wanted to make sure that my payment went toward my promtional balance and that it was ontime. She said it would be if I paid it online. So I paid it and thought all was good, as they hadn't posted any late fees online nor did she mention about my prevoius payment being one day late. Later I see online that they charged me for being late on the previous payment and all the interest for the promtional balance. Lucky for me it was only( 62.00). I will not let them screw a good person who does her best to pay her bills as my 740 credit score will reflect that! I'll be damned if my other promo for 20(62).00 is late so the can get more of my hard earned money.
A  24th of Jun, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Wow, for once I'm glad that my credit is bad enough that I got denied for a care credit card to have two root canals. Yay for bad credit. I can't find a single thing positive about GEMB anywhere.
For those who say that the calls are recorded and Brock would have been immediately reprimanded, I say BS. I used to work for a call center. Yes the calls were recorded but no one ever listened to them unless someone actually called and complained, and sometimes not even then. In addition, my supervisor was never anywhere near me.
N  6th of Jul, 2008 by
I guess i'm the rare case in which I didn't have the payment problems that others have mentioned. I got the loan for dental work only because I didn't have the full amount available at the time. Less than two months from opening the account I recieved some back pay from work and paid the balance of my account in full.

My problem now is that this account still shows as an open account on my credit more than a year later and I have no contact information for them. The question I have for all of you: What number can I call to close this account?!

PLEASE let me know. I want them off my credit report ASAP!
A  28th of Aug, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I have been called various names by collection company telephone representatives. I completely believe this story. My ex ran up a bunch of bills and signed my name on things, then the companies called me. I have been harrassed and cursed by the collection callers. There is no need to make up stories - life hands them to you.
N  3rd of Sep, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
i went to a dentist to have surgery for false teeth and got a loan through this bank however the surgery had been cancled by me and the dentist keept the money, i called the bank several times after i cancled the surgery they didnt care now they are trying to sue me because of the dentist mistake. now their lawyer threating me .the dentist wont return my calls. i dont owe them any money but no seems to care.
what can i do.
A  14th of Oct, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
everything you read is true i had that experance today, they told me i had to pay what they change my bill to because it was late two times, i told her no way i just got this bill and sign up, last mth how is that. and my bill is no longer 167.00 and now $269.00 i told her f??k you and your bill you pay it.
A  16th of Oct, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Why can't we file a Class Action Suit on this? The online payment area pre-dates the payment. The date cannot be changed. So when I make a payment even though the due date is on Saturday and it says if I pay on a Saturday the payment will be posted on Sunday and I will be charged $39 late fee. On the phone they say "that's just they way it is". F**k them!! I don't understand how there can be so many complaints and they are not affected in any way. That is just screwed up.
A  17th of Oct, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
To the lady that had the negative expeience with "Brock" I too have had nothing but unprofessional, argumenative pep to deal with at Care Credit. They clearly take what ever dentist that does the work side. I went to a new dentist that left "opoen margins" in a crown, that I had to have removed and redone by a competent dentist 2 months later, and care credit completely took the quack dentist office's side. Then the CS rep I got on the phone with care credit was abusive and purposely patronizing me after I requested a supervisor, reading sweepstakes disclaimers to me, etc. before transfering me and then ultimately hanging up on me. I have called them numerous times to get a different story with my dispute each time. The woman I talked to yesterday was not only abusive and unprofessional, she was unknowledgable in her job. I am now going to sue the dentist office that did the shoddy work, as a result of all my time that has been wasted and the suffering I have endured. Care Credit is horrible and I suggest to anyone considering using them to NOT use them for anything. They could care less if unscrupulous dentist are using their financing as a means to rape the public, then add their rude and abusive call center representatives. I hope they go under because they do not deserve anyone's business.
N  30th of Oct, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I appreciate everyone here to took the time to post their experiences. There seems to be a pattern of abusive disregard of the consumer by Care Credit. I suggest that anyone who feels violated might contact their state attorney general's office to file a complaint. Also, file with BBB and Ripoff. Knowledge is power. It certainly has had me rethink applying to them for some dental work financing.

CareCredit Logo CareCredit