Capital City Bank / Stay away

United States Review updated:
4.35

Capital city bank, formerly known as farmers & merchants bank is the worse bank on earth. Their so called bounce protection is not a protection for the customers, but a device for them to con their customers out of their hard earned money. They will approve small amounts of debits and check, and if you then debit a large amount from your account, a week later, they then rearrange your account so that all the small debits, that were posted and already debited, they will then take the larger amount and post it first, throwing all the other debits of the smaller amounts to have 30.00 overdraft fees. How is this helping the customer? on line, in the offices, and at the atm it shows that you have enough to cover the smaller debits and may be shy just a few dollars for the larger amount, but again, when the larger amount is debited, they see fit to then go back and redo your account to throw the smaller debits in overdraft!!! Please, if anyone else is having this problem, please speak up so this practice can be deemed illegal. Many of my friends and families have lost so much money to this practice, something has to be done!!! Do not use Capital city bank, it's the devil's workshop!!!
Va

Comments

Ah
  28th of Jul, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Here it is two years later and they are still handling business in the same manner. I have been with Capital City Bank for five years now and I have seen them do this occasionally to try and make me over draft my account. Well today it has finally happened. They have re-ascended my transactions so I end up with $300 in INSF fees for $80. Here's the catch though I DON'T have overdraft protection. How does that work? They also do this close to your paydays. Well this is the last straw. I hope the $300 dollars really meant that much to Capital City Bank. You have just lost a long time customer and I'm sure my co-workers (that have accounts with you) would really like to hear how you do business.
Jj
  12th of Aug, 2010
Just left with meeting with a bank officer today in regards to this very subject. The meeting was at first non productive. As she explained that the multiple items that were showing up as cleared on my account prior to my using the so called overdraft protection service were in fact pending. However this was not how it appeared to me on my transaction records that I did check prior to withdrawal of the larger amount. Which I expected would be charged with a single fee on.

Long story short I grew inflamed over their obvious scam and as my voice grew louder she finally agreed to refund the added fee that was posted on the item they moved after my large transaction. This has happened before. So I demanded that she remove the overdraft scam from my account. Which she did.

My automatic deposits go into this account. So I need to find a honest bank if one exist to move this activity to prior to closing this unfortunate account. If anybody has suggestions please share.
Ah
  24th of Aug, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
@JJ Messick. Envision seems to be a reliable, honest bank. Try them if you haven't done so already. CCB doesn't care about their clients (unless you have a mil in your account then you get red carpet treatment). Their main concern is to make money at any expense, including losing clients. But what goes around comes around, hope they realize this sooner than later, (just saying this to be nice, I don't really mean it).
Md
  3rd of Nov, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
This happened to me on two occaisions, Items that had previously cleared (ATM with draws at their location) were rearranged for a couple of days so they could create multiple fees ($300) instead of just one. They rearrange to pay the largest first to promote overdraft fees. I have overdraft protection but did not help. When asked if some of the fees could be refunded I was declined. I know they don't need my business, but they just lost my 4 accounts and I will campaign against them.
Ay
  17th of Jan, 2011
Respected sir,
MALIK TANVEER EJAZ is ur previous claint his old NIC#5808407, & current# 611011-8238409-9.& his old num is 0321-2133055 & his old adress is "CC-17, 1ST FLOOR, CHINTOO MINTOO ENTERTAINMENT WORLD DEFENCE VIEW.he have SOGO CAR 2342 & new num#0323-2128266, 03062020820.now he run new ARTY PARTY bussiness and he live in GULISTANE JOHAR in NOMAN AVENUE 2ND FLOOR corner flate, he have two stores in johar near city bank, and he is arrange castles slide every week PAF KARSAZ.
he is defolter many banks and ur bank too, he cheated many banks, plz u should strong step and recover ur amount, because he never cheat any company banks, he is not good citizen.
THNX
Sc
  12th of May, 2011
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
Send your complaint to the Better Business Bureau. I did!
Sc
  12th of May, 2011
Send your complaint to the Better Business Bureau. I had the same problem. How these people sleep at night and feel good is beyond me Capital City Bank is a total ripoff!
Iv
  18th of Jun, 2011
I had same problem, said they closed my account then went on line five minutes ago, and all off a sudden the overcharges were wiped clean...yet when I tried to open an account in a new bank they flagged me...ugh they rip me off right and left, going to deposit 5.00 in the account in the morning and see what happens...they sent letter 2 months ago threatening to take me to court for overdraft fees but money was there...they are complete ###s. Their own employees hate to run the bank and then we ### at our friends working there when they have no control, it hurtd them, not the bank.
Iv
  18th of Jun, 2011
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I would love to tell my father to remove his money, which he has a large amount of out of this bank.
St
  3rd of Dec, 2011
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I had same problem, they charged me alot of overdraft fees i couldnot explain to thim there was mistake and i always make sure that i do have enough money so i will not hit overdraft. they always passed the higher amount and leave me with short money so they can pass the smaller amount with alot of over draft. i decided to start pay my bills not with checks or my visa card rather than to withdrew all my balance include my overdraft, and after several times after they knew that i will not be stupid like before they stop my overdraft and acuse me that i abused my acount. i think they are agroup of...and u know the rest
  19th of Jan, 2012
Same thing happened to me This morning. I found out that they rearranged my account and Made my account into the Neg. I am highly Upset And to the point To where Im ready to contact a lawyer and Find out what I can do to prevent this from happening again!! Maybe This should be in the media Also!! Let people Know what Capital city bank is doing!! And not to bank with them!
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I would close my account but since I have direct deposit and My pay period is ths week I won't recieve My check! Great Idea capital city I bet your making a killing off of honest Hard working People!! DISGUSTING!!
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
No what you dont understand is that THEY WERE NOT CHECKS !!! I used my debit card and them Transactions that I did Had shown up on my statement NOT AS PENDING!! they were covered.. All of a sudden My Bank account Was rearranged In a manner to where I Had over draft fees!! so Miss/ Mr why the long faces Can you explain to me how 4 of my transactions shown they were deducted in the positive on a certain date and then posted in the negative 1 day later??????????????????? This has happened to quite a few people. I think we know our ouwn bank accounts!!
Mq
  28th of Mar, 2012
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
It's really simple...KEEP A CHECK REGISTER! Write down all your debits, your checks, and SUBTRACT! It's basic math that a first grader could do! If you overdraft, it's because you didn't maintain your account. A bank account is a personal responsibility...it's not up to the bank to know how you use your money. Get a pen, a free check register from your bank and a calculator. It's that simple.
My
  8th of Jul, 2012
When you use your debit card to get gas Capital city bank also adds a 75.00 hold on your account plus what your debit is, so if you put 25 bucks in your gas tank it is teally costing you100 bucks against your account and then other debits bounce, when you use your debit card to get out of "town" they do this as well! They do not tell you this, this is not in the disclosures agreement you sign and it doesn't show up on your account online, paper bank statements, etc only on "their" screen.
Wh
  8th of Jul, 2012
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
My bank, no the bank does NOT add the $75 hold on your account when you get gas, the GAS STATION does and they TELL YOU RIGHT ON THE PUMP HOW MUCH THE AUTHORIZATION IS before you ever pump that gas. Learn to read. Shell Gas station is $150, and BP is $50 in certain states.It is stated on the pump. It is stated on the pump. It is stated on the pump.

Stop overdrafting and spending more than you have and you will never get a fee. Never.
Ma
  13th of Aug, 2012
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
My son - age 18- is about to start college. Years ago his grandparents set aside some stock money for this day. Fees are due at TCC and my son called his grandfather to ask for some some of this stock money for tuition. His grandfather called the broker and a check was sent to our address with my son's name on the check, but secondary to his grandfather (custodian). He tried to deposit this check last week and was told NO that his grandfather had to endorse it. His grandfather lives out of town and this past weekend we visited him and he endorsed the check. My son was back at the branch on Thomasville Rd. by SteinMart and again they REFUSED to DEPOST this check into his checking account! This after both I (his mother, who has had a CC account for over 20 yrs) and his elderly grandfather had talked to them on the phone at length regarding this matter. Apparently some egomaniac bank clerk is making some kind of power play, not caring that a young man with a legitimate check MADE OUT TO HIM and endorsed by the custodian on the account could lose his classes at college. Bad way to start a relationship with a bank.
Wh
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
No it is not a bad way to have a banking relationship. It has nothing to do with egos and everything to do with the banking policy and the law. How much is the check for? What reasons are they giving for not allowing the deposit? You left the last part out.
Ma
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Reason given: 18 yr old's name was second on check, not primary custodian. However, we did what was asked of him to deposit this check, travelling out of town and getting the check endorsed by the primary custodian. This check was for $3700. And YES, this is a bad start to a banking relationship, to be treated like a criminal. There seemed to be an assumption that something was wrong with this check, despite lengthy phone calls from me (his mom) and his grandfather (the custodian on check). I am moving my checking and savings account, and so is my 16 year old. I have banked with them for over 20 years and this is how they treat my son?! It was as though those phone calls made by his mother & grandfather which discussed how to get the funds deposited in his account never happened?. Where were the notes regarding this situation for them to refer to regarding this?! THEY COULD HAVE PLACED A HOLD ON THIS CHECK but chose not to based on no particular reason except to stonewall a customer based on personal bias that I have to believe was a power trip.

It is indeed a bad way to start a banking relationship when you get lies from unhelpful employees and the whole family wants to leave this bank, me after 20 years, my son after 2 months! Shame on "Jackie" at the Thomasville Rd. branch by Appleby''s.
Ti
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
It's never the customer's fault that they spent money they didn't have.

Capital City Bank Logo Capital City Bank