Bookbyte.com / Total scam

Unfortunately this is a very shady website which accepts books from unwary sellers and then refuses to honor the written contract to pay them the agreed upon amount.

After receiving no answer from them in over a month I emailed them and they said I sent them a different book than the one described, and they want me to pay them to get my book back.

Here is the email from them.

"Hello and thank you for contacting us. We have received your order; however you entered the ISBN for the student edition, which we are purchasing, but instead you sent us in an Annotated Instructor�s Copy, which has all the answers in the book. For this reason, your order has been rejected and is sitting on a shelf. If you would like the book back, please contact us at the number below to pay $5.95 for the return shipping."

El

Comments

• Ar
      28th of Oct, 2009

It's hard to be a "total scam" when your rated an A+ from Better Business Bureau Online (http://www.bbb.org/oregon/business-reviews/scholastic-prep-courses-books-and-materials/bookbytecom-in-salem-or-75005073).

I've done business with this company numerous times, know the owner, and obviously from your e-mail, it looks like you sent the wrong book in. As it clearly states, you entered an ISBN, and sent in a different book (annotated instructor's edition). So I'm confused as to why it's a scam when they said "contact us, " in which they probably would've talked/walked you through the process of what to do from there.

Once again, I'll post a link to the Better Business Bureau and their rating of Bookbyte.com, an A+.

Shady companies don't get the BBB seal, much less an A+ for trying to rip off people for one book...yes, one book when they deal with thousands each day. what advantage is that to them?

Thanks.

• Ki
      23rd of Aug, 2017

@arc3ange1 Yes they do when they send false reviews and I'm sending in a complaint on fraud that won't help their rating much!

• Co
      4th of Jan, 2018

@Kimberly York Where do I go to submit a complaint with BBB? I was scammed by them twice.

• He
      26th of Oct, 2010
    Bookbyte.com - While other companies process my shipments within 48 to 72 hours, Bookbyte had my shipment for two weeks after delivery
    Bookbyte.com
    bookbyte.com

I have sent several shipments to Bookbyte. Each time they claimed damages to books (such as highlighting, bent pages/corners, or written in) that were still sealed in the mylar/saran that new books are wrapped in. These books were brand new!

One shipment they claimed to never have received so they never paid for it. However, the package was not returned to me and the post office reported it as having been delivered. I decided to try them one last time several weeks ago. I sent them a shipment of 14 books -- all in one box. They claimed to have received only 8 of the 14 books even though they were sent all in one box!

Moreover, while other companies process my shipments within 48 to 72 hours, Bookbyte had my shipment for two weeks after delivery. Then they delayed payment (for only 8 books) for another 10 days. When I have called, the "customer service" people have been dismissive. Basically they will tell you too bad.

I have seen numerous other similar complaints on various websites by bookbyte customers, so it is clear that this treatment is a company practice. Certainly they are making a lot of money off of customers by claiming damages and/or non-receipt of merchandise and then reaping undeserved profit off of those items.

Please file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau if Bookbyte has treated you poorly. They have a very misleading A+ rating right now which needs to be remedied in order for them to engage in honest practices!!

• Ri
      22nd of Apr, 2011

I too had a serious problem with this online book purchasing company. I mailed them one book on Dec. 21, 2010 and did not receive a check from them until April 15, 2011. They claimed the post office lost it. I am a 12 year veteran of the Post Office and I traced the book through the proper channels and determined it was not lost. I had to e-mail them and complain. Then I had to call them and complain. The person on the phone was extremely rude to me. Next I had to file a complaint with the BBB. I then called them again and threatened to publish my story in our local paper. I am a paid journalist. After they proposed two different answers through the BBB, neither of which was acceptable, they managed to somehow find my book and promptly send me a check. There are hundreds of stories similar to mine or worse on the internet. Do a quick search, you'll find the truth. This company is ripping off college students EVERY day. Don't trust this site.

• Ra
      28th of Jan, 2012

I definitely agree that this website is a scam. I purchased a textbook from the website and they even informed me that it was shipped. However, after weeks of waiting, there was no book, no reply (I emailed them), no refund whatsoever. I guess I should have known better for ordering through a website that doesn't even offer customer service over the phone, but I was drawn in by the bargain price. My honest advice, do not buy anything from this place. Such a waste of time and money altogether.

• Un
      7th of Apr, 2012

Bookbyte is a complete scam. I only wish I did research on the company prior to placing an order. I purchased a book and no were on the posting online did it mention that it was a e-book. Additionally, I get the link for the ebook only for the owner to contact me 3 days later saying that her account was hacked and she had to cancel all of her order. Then, ask me to pay her directly for the ebook and she will reshare the file with me. Here's the problem, Bookbyte has already charged me $70 for the book which I did not receive. So, I send an email addressing my concern to the company and I have not heard back since. I WILL NEVER USE THIS COMPANY AGAIN AND I WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW TO STAY AWAY FROM BOOKBYTE! Clearly, they DO NOT value integrity or the customer. I'm sticking with what I know: Amazon, Cheggs, etc for all of my books moving forward. The funny thing is, I'm just now noticing all of the negative comments about Bookbyte and this stuff dates back to 2007. Question, how can such an unethical business still be in business. More importantly, how does a person file a business complaint to get them out of business for good?

• Jn
      16th of Oct, 2013

They are a shady company. I have worked there. Employees steal other employees things and promises to review surveillance are not followed through on. The managers are more concerned with the "bookbyte family" than customers or hard workers. BEWARE

• Ff
      6th of Jan, 2015

I have other story when you try a buy book they add to cart different book! Like in my case I was buying ISBN 9780321925534 and end up with ISBN 9780321925664 that is instructor edition also stating "NOT FOR SALE" as well the buy back value is $4 compare to other one that buy back is $40
    So when you click add to cart double check for correct ISBN number.

• Ki
      23rd of Aug, 2017

Book Byte is a sham, rented books. When it came time to send them back the link they sent me to wouldn't print out the label. Tried to contact them numerous times and no response! Now they want to charge me for these books as if they were brand new, saying I failed to send them! Beware looks like a good deal but to good to be true!