Blockbuster Online / poor service

1 3300 Clarksville, TN, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-866-6922789

This company is unreasonable. Their commerical states that if as soon as you return a movie, the next one in your quene list will be shipped. Well, I had a problem with their inventory system because my movies were taking 2-3 business days to ship, hence it was false advertising. These guy suspended my account because I was apparently reporting too many movies were not being shipped as it stated in the commercial. They only refunded about 1/2 of my fee and told me there's nothing I can do about it. First off, if this company can't back up what it advertises then stop saying it in their commercials. 2nd, their lack of communication towards their customers is poor and shady. The only reason why I even had the ability to call these guys is because I googled the number. This service has potential to be good, but these guys need to really get their service in order. I am upset with this company about their lack of communication; poor website and bad treatment of myself as a customer. And if there was a problem with the "lost and theft department, " why wasn't I notified? I think the whole experience was bad business for their part and I implore anyone who's thinking about using this service to try netflix.com before going to this place!

Comments

• Ba
      19th of Aug, 2007
    Blockbuster Online - Poor service!

I am a recent subscriber to Blockbuster Online whose plan has recently been involuntarily "rolled over" into a new plan, minus the old E-Coupon feature that made Blockbuster Online such a superior choice to Netflix. It's obvious they are trying to gradually phase out this feature quietly, and doing it by forcing people into new plans that don't have the feature that is so appealing.

Why not just say, "Yah, we know we used this feature to get your business from Competitor X, and we know it's in your original contract, but now, it's not so appealing to us, so we're just gonna take it away because [ insert insulting spin]. Here's a totally useless coupon to compensate you for being screwed. Thanks!"

I don't know if this is right place to complain about this, but it's just so shady that I feel someone should know it's going on, and I think the online video market would benefit greatly from a discussion of the merits of a company that would create and market so heavily a competitive advantage, only to remove it within a year or two in such a devious fashion. Here is the response from Blockbuster Customer Service to my inquiry:

To Whom It May Concern,

My name is Bart Stevens and I am a relatively new subscriber to Blockbuster Online. I am writing to request information regarding the continuation of the E-Coupons program as it relates to the new plan changes. For myself and many others, the competitive edge of Blockbuster over NetFlix is the +1 FREE bonus Movie or Game Rental E-Coupon / Month feature, and indeed the ability to rent games was and still is the most distinguishing factor in what are essentially identical services.

When I visited the website several weeks ago, I did notice subscription changes for new customers. I was relieved to see the grandfathering in of this very important feature in my plan, and doubtful that Blockbuster would make such a fatal decision as to force subscription change to existing customers in order to gradually and quietly phase out this feature. Of course, I certainly assumed that the company would not be so deceptive as to try this under a guise of improving customer service.

To date, I cannot find any reference to this feature "rolling over" into the new plan on 8/31. Needless to say, it would be extremely disappointing if it did not. Please confirm that this new plan that I will be forced into retains this feature. Because of my profession, I currently hold memberships with Netflix and Blockbuster. If I lost the E-Coupon feature, this would cause immediate and permanent termination of my subscription, and force me to divert my business to GameFly.

A simple confirmation of the retainment of this feature will be sufficient to continue my relationship with Blockbuster.com. Thank you.

Bart

*****

Hello Bart,

Thanks for contacting BLOCKBUSTER Online Customer Care.

I appreciate you taking the time to email us your concern and I sincerely apologize for the delay of my reply, Bart. Thank you so much for taking the time to email us your feedback regarding the new plan. Unfortunately, e-coupons are no longer available with the new plans. We recently enhanced our membership plans to provide our subscribers with a wide selection of options. With Total Access Premium, for example, you get more free in-store rentals than ever before. Instead of having to print e-Coupons, we'll scan the barcode on your return mailers at your local store in exchange for a free in-store movie rental. If you love games, we'll even give you a discount if you bring us your online envelope! I sincerely apologize for the frustration this may have caused. As a courtesy, please allow me to give you this additional e-coupon for a free movie rental at your local Blockbuster Store. Please click on the link below to claim and print your coupon:

I hope this information somehow helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Respectfully,

Christy
    Customer Care Associate
    BLOCKBUSTER Online

• Al
      19th of Sep, 2007

I have been using Blockbuster Online for almost a year now. I have recently moved and to my surprise when I got to use my blockbuster at my new home that my plan has been changed from the 2 Online movies and Unlimited in store rentals with 1 e-coupon/month to 2 Online movies and 3 in store rentals(2 of which I've already used cause I was never contacted about the change). When I contacted the Blockbuster Online customer service I was told that it was a corporate decision to change plans and that was all that I could be told. When I asked about the number to the Corporate office HQ the rep could not give it too me. After calling a few other blockbuster numbers I managed to get the HQ number. The woman I talked to said that blockbuster did a study of everyone's rental history and decdided based on customer account usage whether someone would be grandfathered in. Basically people who used their unlimited rentals at a certain rate were not grandfathered in and people who don't really use their unlimited usage did. So basically Blockbuster is forcing people who want to keep unlimited rentals to pay more because of the fact that they actually used the service they payed for. I am outraged at this to the point I am looking into legal action. I don't understand how a company can grandfather in some customers and not others based on the service usage that they had PAID FOR. If anyone has any advice of how to get Blockbuster to fix this problem it would be openly appreciated.

8th of Jan, 2008

i cancelled my contract with blockbuster online after 12 months ,i assumed the debits would stop but they didnt,so i continued to pay for a service i assumed was cancelled,i paid of my credit card and tried to cancel it,i assumed the card was cancelled only to find out that the debitts were still coming out of my account,i have tried to contact them 11 times now they do not respond to my emails.has any one had the same problem? not with unreplied emails but with there account still being debitted after they cancelled there account.

• Li
      12th of Jan, 2008

I cancelled my account last week when I found out that without telling me they rised my plan from 24.99 to 34.99 they said they sent an email to me but they lied.

• Ji
      4th of Jul, 2008

Funny how all the customer service replies contain the word..Unfortunately, ...

17th of Oct, 2008

On or about October 2, 2008, I opened an account with i Tunes and for some reason I have received 2 subscriptions to Company's that I have never dealt with. The only reason I found out is that my Credit Card was debited. I called both company's, one reversed the charges, canceled my account and put the money back in my account the next day.

But, you Blockbusters have refused to cancel my Account or even give me the my own account number and you refuses to refund my money. According to your representative I have to cancel my card in order to stop the recurring charges.

I am on a fixed income and if I cancel my card and have a new one issued it would most likely mess up my Social Security Checks.

• Si
      10th of Mar, 2009

I also have the same problem with BB. Twice they have changed my policy to reflect an advantage for them. I curently pay 24.99 for unlimited use, but have found exteme limits to my use. Now I have to turn in my in store rentals to recieve my online, were as before the minute I turned in my online they would send out the next three in my que. I am terminating my existance with BB. I'm not an ATM for them Thank you.