Barnes & Noble / college rental book
My daughter rented a college text book from barnes & noble. When she went to turn the book in, they advised that it had water damage and, therefore, she would have to purchase the book for an additional $24.00. She had only used this book one time during the semester, and it received no water damage while in her possession. We explained that the semester before, she had been caught in a rainstorm and had several rental books damaged, which we ultimately had to purchase for over $200.00. We paid this fee with no complaints as we understood this was her responsibility. Although, $24.00 is a small fee, it is the principle of the matter. She should not have to pay for a book she did not damage. They basically explained that they go through a process of checking out the quality of the books and that they felt it received water damage while in her possession. They also sent her an email advising that if the book was not turned in a charge for $101.00 would be charged to the credit card on file. Therefore, under protest, we paid the charge. Beware - apparently, if you rent books from barnes and noble, you have no rights. If they feel there is an issue with the book, they will charge you card and you have no recourse. I strongly suggest you rent or buy used books from some other website!
More Barnes & Noble Complaints & Reviews
- Barnes and Noble - unauthorized membership renewal charges 
- Barnes And Noble Member Card - member card 
- Barnes & Noble - advertised price vs in store price 
- Barnes and Noble - fraud 
- Barnes & Noble - barnes and noble falsely advertises & fast and free & delivery 
- Barnes & Noble Booksellers - book order; received wrong book
- Barnes and Noble - witnessing rude management behavior
- Barnes & Noble Booksellers - online order/"supervisors"
- Barnes & Noble Booksellers - textbook rental
- Barnes & Noble Booksellers - employee