Bank Atlantic / $4.95 overdraft charged $200 in fees

Bank Atlantic charged me almost $200 in fees for a $4.95 overdraft. When I spoke with the bank manager I told him I was disputing the fees. He refused to help me other than provide the "recoveries" phone number. I called recoveries and the woman was rude and refused to help me. She said I had to go back to talk with the manager. He had already refused to help me and refused to let me dispute it. I thought the collection laws said I have 30 days to dispute the charges. The bank will not work with me or even talk with me. I think they are taking advantage of me and overcharging fees on such a small overdraft. The fact that they sold this debt to a collection agency after 30 days and refused to talk to me or try to help me is immoral if not illegal. I feel like I should have the opportunity to dispute these fees as the original overdraft was $4.95 and now I owe about $200. This all happened in just a months time. Even the collection agency told me I should be able to dispute it with Bank Atlantic. The collection agency is more helpful than the Bank!!! This is unacceptable. Are there laws to help protect consumers from Banks om situations like this?

Comments

• Th
      2nd of Sep, 2009

Jeeze! I thought I was the only one getting messed over. I have over 200.00 in overdraft fees myself due to .85 charges. I had withdrawn money from my paypal account after the paypal lady told me it would be in bank as soon as I withdraw it. OKAY! So I started using my card again. Over 9 overdraft fees! Whenever I tried putting money in the bank to avoid the future overdraft fees from "pending charges", it would eat the funds and cause more overdrafts. They would just say, "Well I'm sorry, but..." This is outrageous! I bank with Midfirst in Oklahoma by the way. These debts were newly acquired and have not been sent to the collections. I've never worked with a collections. Any tips? I refuse to pay so much for something sooooooooooo absurd!

15th of Dec, 2009

To me happened the same just this week.. I overdraft with about 40 Bucks and now they demand 300 Dollars!!! They are saying that every single transaction will be charged with a fee of each 35 Bucks.. but basically most transactions were between 5-10 bucks and that is ridiculous!!!

What do you recommend to do, I would be glad if someone might help me! I am actually foreigner and returning soon to Europe after one semester of studies.. And there you just pay a high interest on your debt which would be like 13% per day..

I really need help and want to dispute the fees!!

my email: c.haeusi@gmx.de

Thanks guys,

Chris

• Pe
      7th of May, 2012

Do not worry, you are not alone! The crowd of people that Bank Atlantic ripped off is growing.