Babies R Us / poor customer service

Toys R Us
My girlfriend is registered at babies r us. I thought I would pull up the registry online first to see what items she had registered for. I saw a diaper bag/backpack for $35.99 which was exactly what I wanted to pay for a gift for her. I saw that shipping was $6 so I thought I would just go to the store which is near me and buy it and save myself the shipping cost.

The only comment next to the item online said "Hurry this item is on sale only until 2/21/09". So I go to the store and just to make sure no one has bought one since I printed the registry at home I decided to print another one in store. I saw on the printout that the backpack was $44.99. So I asked the store manager what the price was and she told me that online prices are different than in store but they would match the price but have to charge me the shipping fee that I would have incurred if I had ordered it in the comforts of my own home! Even though they have it in stock and I could buy it there they had to charge me the shipping costs! I was in disbelief. Another customer was also arguing with a sales clerk during my visit there about the same lame policy. So I bought something else and went home. When I got home I decided to call the 1- 800 number to ask where in the registry does it say "This is an online price only" so the supervisor tells me yes it is there. She said first you have to click on sitemap and then click on help and click on pricing promotion disclaimer and then it says "However from time to time, pricing, promotions, and styles may differ between the online stores and our actual store locations." I can not believe this is how they treat their customers. I will never buy from Babies r Us ever again.

N  17th of Sep, 2007 by

Babies R Us - Poor customer service!

On 9/13/07 I visited the Babies R US store in Holyoke MA with my 6 months old grandson to return an item received as a gift. As I stood in line with my grandson patiently waiting my turn, another customer came into the line beside me. When it became my turn to do my transaction, the sales clerk ignored me, and acknowledged the other customer beside me letting her know that she will help her. I politely pointed out to the sales clerk that I was next in line. This seem to upset the sales clerk and she continued to ignore me and did not apologized or say hello. In fact, she apologized to the said customer. The sales clerk only concern was questioning me about the return merchandise as if it had been stolen, and opening the sealed box (which was never opened) with the original packaging and tape. Suddenly, the sales clerk stopped what she was doing, and began assisting the other cashier who was by now helping the same customer from earlier. Again, I politely interrupted her, and asked why I was not being helped. I requested to speak to a manager.

The manager to my dismay was very unfriendly. When I added that I felt I had experienced some discrimination by his staff, he totally became offensive. This manager argued with me hovering over my grandson, who was asleep, raising his voice in anger saying... “Well, if you want to hide behind being discriminated against because you are a minority that is your problem!”...“Look around can’t you see how diverse our store is?” To say hiding behind being minority, gay, handicapped, fat, or elderly when discriminated against is stereotyping. To experience any form of unfriendly customer service be it indifference or discriminatory is saying to a guest- "You are not welcome in the store." There should always be a friendly and courteous staff to meet and greet all guests, and make them feel welcome. Especially, a baby store.
D  14th of Mar, 2008 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Get over yourself.
N  5th of May, 2010 by
I went to the store to make an exchange and the cashier by the name of Danneisha asked me several questions including my name, which I spelled with a double r.she could not understand, so she tell me I should not say double.She told me I have an accent with an arrogance, I was shocked by her rudeness, which other customers in line notice.I immediately asked to speak to a manager, she answerd she was the manager.I then told she should not be talking to me that way if she is the manager.She then continue with her rudeness unapologic about her behavior.I was very upset about this incident.I would like to get a contact of the corporate headquater to further my complaint.I am expecting a reply from this complaint.
A  22nd of Aug, 2010 by
Babiesrus location: 545 ROUTE 17 SOUTH PARAMUS NJ US 07652, P: (201)251-3191

I went to buy a baby shower gift for a girlfriend of mine. While the registry personnel was helpful, there was only one register open to pay for the item. On a Saturday afternoon?! When I asked a woman cleaning up one of the cashier lines whether her register was open, she simply said "hold on!" in an attitude and to my surprise walked away!

She then walked up to another co-worker, pointed towards me as if there was a problem and then disappeared.

I just had one item so I just stood in the only *long* line to pay for the item. A few minutes later she opened a new cashier's line and looked as if she was bothered by the *long* line. When I got to her and observing her *I don't want to be here* attitude, I just left the item at her register and walked out. I ended up purchasing the item at amazon.com.

Babiesrus, if your employees *don't want to be there*, cut them loose. It'll be better for you because I'm planning on registering at a baby store for gifts. Guess what? I'll probably be registering at buy buy baby or some other store where I feel the attitudes of people working at the store are friendlier.
N  16th of Jan, 2011 by
Mommy- you make me sick. stick to what your MOMMY told you, if you dont have anything nice to say dont say it at all.
N  14th of Mar, 2011 by
I had purchased something from the website and went to the store to pick it up. The associate refused to give me my product without the confirmation email printed out. She would not let me read off the confirmation number. She said she had to see it on paper from the email I was sent. After telling me that what I was telling her was incorrect and being argumentative, she called her manager over and said told her manager in front of me that I was being combative. The manager would not give me my product but was more than happy to return it.

Babies Babies "R" Us