Axia College / Terrible experience

I am 49 and after being a stay at home mom for 20 years I began working full time in 1999. With no formal training except for my art I began working full time in retail and decided to get in to a career field that I knew would be stable down the road since I plan to work till I am in my sixties. I called University of Phoenix because my sister had attended to obtain bachelors in accounting. I spoke with the 'enrollment counselor' on my decision to become a nurse. I was not teetering on any other career; I was adamant with the 'enrollment counselor' what I wanted. He enrolled me in Axia College and said that I would be first be working on my generals before I began the nursing courses BUT I would have my LVN by 18 months. I had told the 'enrollment counselor that I had recently taken up employment with a new company with steady hours so I would have time to devote to school. I informed him I took a pay cut and could survive on the salary for a couple of years if I could get work as an LVN by no later than 2 years. He assured me that I could do this...'no problem', so I enrolled. My income was low enough I was approved for grants and would only have to pay back the other loans.

About halfway through the courses I was curious to when I would be getting into my nursing courses. By this time I had gone through 2 more 'enrollment counselors, ' three more 'academic counselors, ' who also had full understanding of my career goal, and three other 'financial counselors.' When I inquired about my nursing courses, my 'academic counselor told me AXIA COLLEGE DOES NOT HAVE A NURSING PROGRAM.' The whole time they had led me on and had enrolled me in Health and Human Services Administration. This is a management position which I have NO DESIRE in pursuing. I was in management in retail and hated it. I told the 'academic counselor that I was suppose to be in a nursing program and my goal was to work in geriatric care. She gave me a less than believable 'I'm sorry' but there was nothing they could do since they do not offering nursing degrees. I was already halfway through so I decided to finish the rest of the course and obtain the 'useless' AA in Health and Human Services Administration. You would think I could just get a job in that field till I was through with my nursing program. 'NO' you cannot because for that degree you need to go into the bachelor program because that position you are required by the companies to have a BA. I had no intention of continuing to get a BA in a career I did not want. Now, at 49, I wasted 2 precious years of my life going to school at the sum of over $7000 for a job I cannot obtain and nor desire. I cannot get into the nursing program because the waiting list is over a year out. My credit is shot to hell because as I said, I could get along with the lower income for a while but it has taken its toll after two years. They are going to start billing me for my 2 years of hell after 6 months and I will not have a job to be able to pay for it. YES, they know all this and couldn't care less. I told them, I had been looking since the 'bad news' about my nursing career to see if I could obtain a position in Health and Human Services Administration but as I said, all the positions require a BA not only in the Administration, but accounting as well. I had even told the academic counselor, with the classes they gave for this line of work, they clearly were not giving the students enough knowledge of accounting for the position. I know some of it from my position at work and could see by talking to my sister who is an accountant that there is no way I could competently carry out a job of this magnitude without a degree in accounting. The courses were all inferior both for the accounting and administration portion. My credit is shot now so it doesn't matter if they send me to collection for non payment so I am not losing sleep over repaying my loan. I am now looking for another part time job to pay my bills. Oh, also, if you were thinking about this option, 'NO' the credits are non transferable to another college so the credits will not count, except for your electives.

The fourth or fifth academic counselor was still pushing the BA on me but finally after emailing her to stop and that I was not going to continue she stopped bothering me about it. I'm tired of the 'I'm sorrys for ripping me off. I feel so humiliated about telling my coworkers and family I was going back to school to be a nurse and now I am exactly in the same place I begin over two years ago. At 47 I have a ticking clock about my viability of getting employment but with nursing the need is so that I would not have had a problem. Now at 49 and with the economy in the toilet, I am worried about my livelihood. What kills me the most is the website for UOP has a woman in a nursing uniform, yet they do not offer nursing. Deception for the almighty dollar.

Je

Comments

• Ar
      21st of May, 2009

"University of Phoenix" is ripping off, scamming, lying to and cheating people. They have ripped my daughter off and they almost got me.

There are many complaints, even by the ex-employees. Now I'm sure that there are many students or ex-students that are doing or did just fine with University of Phoenix, or didn't pay attention to their scam, but there millions of others that did get ripped off, including my 22yr old, single mother, Daughter.

She was told by the enrollment adviser, that the paper work He WALKED her through was all formality; even when they go to the "loan" part. She told him, she did not want a loan and if she had to get a loan, she didn't want to pursue with them, He continued to tell her, to not worry about it, it's only if she decided to get a loan. He "assured" her it was not a loan...So "SHE SIGNED" Even after she read everything. She put her trust in this University of Phoenix employess that he knew more than her, this is his job to get her signed up and he did exactly that, but only lied in the process.

When she would get statements in the mail from Wachovia about a loan, she supposedly had with them. She then called her counselor, who again assured her it was nothing, she did NOT have a loan, she has a FREE Grant and told her also that she was basically being paid to go to school when she received a check in the mail from UOP, that it was just extra money to pay for any school necessities.

So now, almost 2yrs, and just 6months before she graduates, she gets a call from the financing dept about her "LOAN" that she's NOT suppose to have. She told the finance lady that she did not have a loan, and the finance lady, being as nice as she could, told her, that she shows, she does, that she might want to check with her counselor.

At this point, she made several attempt via email and calls, but did not ge a reply for ever a week, and once she did get a reply, it was when she called back and talked to the lady she was suppose to talk to, which told her, that she NEVER received any phone calls or emails.

My Daughter, went down to the school, to financing and the lady, that smiled with a smirky smile and kept telling my daughter, "Well you signed" OMG! I want to F...ing go beat the living H...LL out of the stupid people. She knows that she signed, but the fact is, He, the enrollment counselor, walked her through the paper work and told her to sign, to NOT worry about the loan stuff, it was NOT a loan.

These people need to be stopped. We are in the midst of gettinga a class action suit going, but, We need to get as many people as we can, with a SIMILAR ISSUE, to be a part of this. We are working with Warner Law Office, Patrick Warner 614-226-4077 www.pwarnerlaw.com

If there is anyone else that this, similar situation happened to them, please contact me and or Patrick.

This can't keep happening to people who are just trying to better their career, and make a good life for themselves.

SheilaOnTheWeb
    rippedoffbyuop@gmail.com

• Ca
      8th of Jun, 2009

I am a current Axia student and so is my husband and we love it! I am doing exactly what I want and my councilors are great! I am in the criminal justice program. I am working on my AA and will then go on to get my BA both from Axia. I will then be going on to law school. I was told up front that I would need to get a student loan. For those of you that don't know, the federal government REQUIRES a student loan application to be filled out BEFORE they will award you any grant money. Axia is not the only college to tell me this; I looked into other colleges before choosing Axia. I'm sorry to hear that there are some of you that had a bad experience, but it is not the school, it is the councilors who lied to you all. They have probably had other complaints and lost their jobs by now. As far as transfering credits, if that was something that you thought you might want to do, you should have made sure that was an option. I also think that if you wanted to become a nurse you should not have applied to an online school, since nursing classes are hands-on and that is not possible with online classes. You should have used your common sense when applying and realized that online classes would not get you to where you want to be in life. I am doing what I want and doing it well. I have a 3.96 GPA and straight A's. This will be good enough for me to get into the law school of my choice, since I will not need to transfer any credits to do it. I do sympathize with your issues, but in the end, it's consumer beware. If you thought something was fishy, you should never have signed anything.

• Ar
      12th of Jun, 2009

@carriefox--Thank you for being kind, unlike some other people on here, but that's just it. Her counselor went over the paper work, as they tell you, they have to. She kept telling him, that, if it was a loan, she did not want to do this, and he kept telling her, it was NOT a loan, and she asked him, if that is for sure? and then why is it saying it's a loan? And he told her it was FORMALITY, just in case she did get a loan, again he said "trust me, it's not a loan" quote, un quote...He LIED! that's the whole point. She electronically signed because she put her trust in him, after all he was worked there and that was his job, to sign her up, and go over everything with her.
    I keep telling this story over and over, but just as UOP keeps telling her "YOU SIGNED" no body seems to under stand, she knows she signed, but only because she put her trust in the school and the guy who was signing her up. I can attest to it also, because I was going to do it myself, but backed out, because of military spouse grants. But when she told me her story, I got pissed, and I believed her, because, what she told me, was the same thing as the guy who was signing me up, told me. AND THAT is why I totally believe my daughter is telling the truth and why I know they lied, point blank! *whew* got that all out...lol

• Je
      24th of Aug, 2009

my name is jessica white from mobile alabama im 19 years young and i am A single paren and just decided to sign up for axia college . everything seem to be going fine now, but i wil be sure to to you guys up with any details but now everything seem to be going great i even tod a couple of my famiy members and they are going to sign up as well.

• Lk
      28th of Sep, 2009

I think you need to except some of the blame. When you enroll you see exactly what program you are signing up for and on your student website it clearly states the program and your whole schedule is built out after your first block of classes so you could have looked at anytime at your schedule. But yes blame someone else for your irresponsibility. Also, you didnt know you were getting loans? Are you reading what you are signing? Again, sounds like a personal problem.

Oh and University of Phoenix does offer nursing. However its a Bachelors in Nursing or Masters in Nursing. A requirement to get into these programs is that you have an RN already. What kind of person thinks they can get a nursing degree online? I bet you also think you can take massage therapy classes online. LOL

• Ms
      31st of Aug, 2010

Thats only one complaint, I am also a student at Axia and I have been getting A and B's and this last class recieved an F. Now if I desearved it because I just didn't pay attention, bad me, but when I did go to the teacher to ask questions she was rude, and sarcastic and did not gear me to the direction that was needed. I complained to my academic advisor and that is being done but I was told to write to the teacher and aske that she look over the methodology of her grading, back to the same teacher. Let me see there is no one else I was given that can check this teacher out, she was rude all through the studies, yet nothing has been done. I was told by my financial advisor I would have to pay over a thousand dollars to take this fricken class over HELLO? this teacher was a royal pain and they want me to take it over AND PAY FOR IT TOO? they have their nerve, but I will post what this college dose about this problem teacher and how I was treated. I have tyo say this was the only teacher I had a problem with thus far but look what happens so everything is on hold and then I have to wait to take further classes now so it can be investigated. this really sucks alot! I just want my degree so I could get a job!